Why doesn't Ruger bring back their police carbine?

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, September 16, 2015, 21:06 (3295 days ago)

I would think their pistol caliber carbines taking their pistol magazines would sell like hot cakes these days. Finally handled a Hi Point carbine the other day - yuck! Balances like an armload of bricks and feels more like a club than a rifle!

KelTec SUB 2000 sucks all the air out of that room

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, September 16, 2015, 21:21 (3295 days ago) @ stonewalrus

they work very well and are compact. How many folks carry p89s these days...
Get a AR "Pistol" or SBR tons better.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Would consider one if I could find one - pretty scarce

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, September 16, 2015, 21:34 (3295 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Nm

I do have one pistol carbine but it is slow to reload...

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, September 16, 2015, 21:43 (3295 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

[image]

I had to sell my Winny 94 Trapper in .45Colt to pay bills

by D.Sikes, Wednesday, September 16, 2015, 22:26 (3295 days ago) @ stonewalrus

it was a very sad day.

Yep, been doing that for a a while now... stopped selling

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 13:49 (3295 days ago) @ D.Sikes

started buying as bargains abound...

--

Just skip the pistol calibers and getbn an AR Pistol or

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 10:09 (3295 days ago) @ Rob Leahy
edited by Rob Leahy, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 10:38

short barreled Rifle in 5.56 or 300 AAC.20,30 40 round mags

--

HUH ? !......

by Ray L, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 11:48 (3295 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

WHAT DID YOU SAY?.... HAVE TO SPEAK UP !.... I ONCE FIRED AN AR PISTOL IN MY HOME'S HALLWAY !!! .... WISH I'D HAD A RUGER POLICE CARBINE !..... :-)

A can is ideal ...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 13:27 (3295 days ago) @ Ray L

--

A can is ideal ...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 13:27 (3295 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

electronic muffs are a great idea too

--

I keep a pair around the barrel of mine

by brionic @, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 15:01 (3295 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

just in case I need to listen to the birds in the middle of the night.

AR pistols can be built pretty compact

by mcassill, Friday, September 18, 2015, 08:41 (3294 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

gunsmith at the local range showed me one he'd built; with 7.5" barrel and folding buffer tube conversion it was small enough to fit in a standard briefcase.

I have a Hi-Point 4095 ... .40S&W carbine...

by D.Sikes, Wednesday, September 16, 2015, 22:24 (3295 days ago) @ stonewalrus

yeah.. they are sorta "plastic and tin can feeling.. but boy does mine shoot.... have a little 4X scope on it and it's a dime puncher at 50 yards... I use it for my ranch "long range" critter tool since I don't have my Winny 94 Trapper in .45 Colt anymore...

Ugly? Heavy? Didn't sell?

by cas, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 08:23 (3295 days ago) @ stonewalrus

I bought a police trade in one that I quickly sold... which I now regret. I was looking for a cheaper alternative for our once or twice yearly pistol caliber carbine match. While I loved my AR45, I had tons of money in it and it sat 362 days a year. So I jumped at a great price on a Ruger.

But reloading after 12 rounds of 40 left me cold (compared to 30 rounds of 45 in a grease gun mag), so I sold it after shooting it only a couple times. Skip ahead and NY passes the "safe act" making that Ruger even more valuable here as a still legal option. Wish I'd kept it. It was ugly and heavy, but it did its job. What's worse, mine was converted to use Beretta mags, an easier cheaper option than Ruger mags.

Plus, awful marketing by Ruger and bad timing in being just

by brionic @, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 08:36 (3295 days ago) @ cas

ahead of the curve in semi-auto carbine use by LEO.

Well made little rifles, and jewels for the reasons you describe.

Why doesn't Ruger bring back their police carbine?

by Catoosa, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 10:50 (3295 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Not to hijack Tom's thread here, but I don't see why some canny manufacturer like Ohio Ordnance couldn't build a replica of the M3A1 "Grease Gun" without a stock and with no provision for attaching one. It would have to fire semiauto from a closed bolt, of course, but they seem to have solved that problem with their BAR replica.

Me Auld Man was a whiz with a grease gun, and he said he never used the dinky wire stock. IIRC, he shot it from what resembled the "protected point" handgun position, held about mid chest height with his right wrist against his rib cage and his left on the mag housing. He could fire single shots by tapping the trigger and roll quart oil cans across the yard.

With a laser mounted under the barrel, I'd think the ol' homestead would be well protected with something like that.

Glock needs to make a carbine...

by stonewalrus, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 11:37 (3295 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Nm

GlocKel Tec makes a great carbine... They are available ever

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 13:37 (3295 days ago) @ stonewalrus

everywhere on the web at gun shows etc.

--

I keep hoping they'll build one in 45

by mcassill, Friday, September 18, 2015, 08:39 (3294 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

They might get around to that in a decade or two.

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 13:39 (3295 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Look how long it took them to get the idea that single stack, small frame .380/9mm pistols would be marketable.

Mech Tech

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 14:54 (3295 days ago) @ stonewalrus

I just watched Hickok45 shooting a 10mm version of the Mech Tech carbine conversion that uses a Glock frame and of course magazine.

http://www.mechtechsys.com/what_is.php

Looks pretty good to me.

what about the Beretta Storm?

by bj @, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 19:58 (3294 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Seemed like an interesting carbine, but somewhat futuristic looking.

It is out of production I think?

by Otony, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 22:27 (3294 days ago) @ bj

Have to check with beretta.

Otony

my son has one. Unfortunately it is a bull pup and I am a

by stonewalrus, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 22:31 (3294 days ago) @ bj

Lefty. It can be switched to lefty but not thrilled about having to set it up that way.

I got one of these years ago

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Thursday, September 17, 2015, 22:43 (3294 days ago) @ stonewalrus

It is accurate to 50 yd (as far as I've shot it) and lots of fun. Likes my cast bullet loads:

[image]

Uses GI Thompson mags which were available cheap back when...

they may be more popular now

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, September 18, 2015, 05:29 (3294 days ago) @ stonewalrus

With the SR9 series magazine I never had a PC9, but I've owned a good number of PCC's and they are fun, useful guns. I'm resisting building an AR9, but the QC10 lowers look and function so well, I may cave eventually. The bad thing is that now that I have a gun trust and have been hitting hard by the NFA bug, every modern gun I look into, I think about SBR'ing and suppressing!!

I had an idea years ago about an integral suppressor on a SUB2000 that would still allow it to
Fold and function as the factory designed. If I get better at threading on my lathe, I may end up sending the ATF another $200 and building one myself!!

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

I have a box full of PPsh-43 parts to make an integral

by John K., Friday, September 18, 2015, 12:18 (3294 days ago) @ Slow Hand

9mm machinegun - eventually. I have converted the closed bolt pistols to SBRs and it is an easy job.

John K.

I have a box full of PPsh-43 parts to make an integral

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Saturday, September 19, 2015, 09:12 (3293 days ago) @ John K.

Now that would be cool!!

I get the various Russian subgun a mixed up but I have shot a few of them, mostly in 7.62x25. I know they were making a pistol that had the folding stock tack welded in the closed position. I thought about one of them as an SBR quite a bit!

--

Not terribly relevant but I've been meaning to build...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, September 18, 2015, 05:49 (3294 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Not terribly relevant but I've been meaning to build...

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, September 18, 2015, 08:15 (3294 days ago) @ Hoot

What? The whole kit is only $160? How have I not built one yet? I need to get to looking for a donor Mauser. I can see something like this with an integral can along the idea of the DeLisle the Brits had way back when!

--

Doug, I knew YOU'D understand!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, September 18, 2015, 08:56 (3294 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Maybe it's a good thing I don't live closer. ;-)

I have the required donor but too danged many things lined up in front. Starting to get through them but it'll be a while yet.

The offer threads on their 7.62x39 barrel. I expect it wouldn't be a big leap to get them on the .45...

Doug, I knew YOU'D understand!

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Saturday, September 19, 2015, 09:13 (3293 days ago) @ Hoot

I've got too many projects myself, but I figure I'm just stockpiling them for retirement in 30 years!

--

I have a terrible bias...

by Brian A, Friday, September 18, 2015, 09:46 (3294 days ago) @ Hoot

against using short cartridges in long actions. My grandfather had a Win Mod 70 in 22 hornet which I loved to shoot, but it always seemed so weird to work such a small round in such a large action.

I do agree with that Brian.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, September 18, 2015, 12:55 (3294 days ago) @ Brian A

But, the thought of an easy .45 ACP carbine brings a smile to my face.

Bro' Dan has a cut-up '98 action that's probably been reduced by a couple inches. Neither of us knows if it's usable or just cut up. It'd be just about right.

I've also toyed with the thought of a .25 Souper but feel it's too short for a full '98 action. Maybe I'll find a cheap Yugo...

I do agree with that Brian.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, September 18, 2015, 13:57 (3294 days ago) @ Hoot

An old co worker and serious hunter had a '98 cut down and made to feed .44 magnum from Desert Eagle mags. An IN legal deer rifle. I never saw it but apparently it was a thing of beauty!!

--

I would be very careful with any action...

by Brian A, Sunday, September 20, 2015, 07:56 (3292 days ago) @ Hoot

that was cut down by someone I did not know was qualified to do such a conversion. Much cheaper to buy a new Ruger 77/44 and modify it to suit my tastes, than to pay even a minor outpatient trip to the E.R.

Amen.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, September 20, 2015, 10:56 (3292 days ago) @ Brian A

For the most part, it's an interesting paperweight. If it ever were to be considered for a project, it would first be thoroughly vetted by someone qualified to pass judgement.

Amen.

by Brian A, Monday, September 21, 2015, 07:41 (3291 days ago) @ Hoot

I figured as much from you, just had to add my $.02

Cheap Yugos seem to be drying up, along with cheap anything M98-like. I am very glad to have scarfed up a couple $79 Yugos and a $69 Turk when they were available. Around here they are now trading for $275 and up. Even the Romanian trainers that were everywhere for $69 a few years ago, are now regularly seen at shows for $250. Still kicking myself for not mortgaging the house and stocking up on these cheap deals, for such times, the money would've been much more productive than in the bank.

THAT is an abomination and a sin!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, September 19, 2015, 10:35 (3293 days ago) @ Hoot

Face it you all secretly desire a Honey Badger...

--

THAT is an abomination and a sin!

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Saturday, September 19, 2015, 17:31 (3292 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

This is my iteration of the honey badger. I'm too cheap to spend the $400 on the fancy stock and BCG

[image]

--

There are only a couple features I find a bit off-putting.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, September 20, 2015, 11:02 (3292 days ago) @ Rob Leahy
edited by Hoot, Sunday, September 20, 2015, 12:05

The magazine sticking out so far is aesthetically awkward but I like the handiness of using GI mags. The ejector is also bit clumsy.

But, an inexpensive carbine flinging .45ACP slugs appeals to me.

Edited to add: I had to perform Google-foo to find out what a Honey Badger was. Knew about the animal...

Me too on the honey badger!

by stonewalrus, Sunday, September 20, 2015, 13:53 (3292 days ago) @ Hoot

Nm

Hoot I have an old 45 Carbine you can have for a very reason

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, September 21, 2015, 19:22 (3290 days ago) @ Hoot

able price. It's an old Commando takes M3 Grease Gun Mags... I have 3 mags for it. I works with hardball and rnl...

--

Thank you Rob.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, September 22, 2015, 05:47 (3290 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I am not terribly serious about the Mauser. I have many, many projects already here and don't need to take on any more for a bit.

RSS Feed of thread