Bedding a Mini-14?

by rob @, Friday, September 04, 2015, 08:51 (3308 days ago)

Any of you ever done it? Do you think it's worth it? I get about 2.5" groups from my stainless composite tactical version with the loads it likes and 3-4" with most others at 100 yards scoped. Was planning on bedding it but I'm starting to think ill just shoot it as is.

Bedding a Mini-14?

by uncowboy, Friday, September 04, 2015, 10:06 (3308 days ago) @ rob

Bedding won't fix a thing. The gun is designed around bbl tension so try shimming the front of the bbl a bit and if no progress just accept it for what it is.
That being said I do know one fellow who made a water jacket for his and filled it with antifreeze and it stretched the bbl like a Dan Wesson set up and it worked out to be a very accurate rifle with the Ruger bbl. He was machinist and did all the work himself. He said to pay to have it done would be excessive. J.Michael

I have read some good things about the Amega mount

by stonewalrus, Friday, September 04, 2015, 12:33 (3308 days ago) @ rob

Stiffening up the barrel an improving accuracy. Can't find the article but here is their website:

http://www.amegaranges.com/product_pages/rugerMini14.php

I'd save time and effort and use it as is. Get an AR or

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, September 04, 2015, 12:41 (3308 days ago) @ rob

bolt gun if you want precision. Mini's are great reliable steel case eating guns in my experience.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

that's pretty much where I am...

by rob @, Friday, September 04, 2015, 13:40 (3308 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I need to buy the right upper for my AR lower and be done with it. I think I'm gonna just sight it in at 100 yards with the factory sights and XM193 and stop there.

The only reason to own a Mini-14

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Friday, September 04, 2015, 14:35 (3308 days ago) @ rob

is if you're stuck in Commiefornia or some other ban state that won't allow an AR-15.

With the prices on AR's right now, they are even cheaper than a Mini. Never mind the magazine issues, accuracy issues, accessory availability, etc.

I suspect that the most inaccurate AR I've ever had would outshoot the best Mini I ever had, and I've had several of each.

It's a shame, because I love the looks and feel of a Mini.

Right there with you. I am talking with Ruger about

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, September 04, 2015, 14:41 (3308 days ago) @ Warhawk

working with Mag-pull to create a AR/Mini 14 compatible magazine. along the lines of the old Ram-line mags but with 30 years engineering and materials improvement.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Jeff ( Gunblast ) did an article some years back on this ...

by Ron Brown, Friday, September 04, 2015, 15:44 (3308 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

While they are at it

by cubrock, Friday, September 04, 2015, 18:19 (3307 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Magpul could design and build a Mini-14 stock, too.

The 2011 Tactical model Mini-14 I had was very accurate for a Mini. They are neat guns, but I don't own one anymore. I've gone to ARs.

Well, I'm not sure I'd agree with that...

by rob @, Friday, September 04, 2015, 18:34 (3307 days ago) @ Warhawk

I have been through a passel of AR's and never been quite satisfied with any of them yet. I have a great Spikes Tactical lower that I've built with a Geiselle trigger and other premium parts waiting for an upper but I haven't decided what I want yet. I'm leaning toward an 18" mid length gas system because it's easier on the ejection and for me to shoot an AR well off a bench (meaning, not using a bench and sandbags...field positions) I need some weight up front and the carbines just don't have it. I have a fit holding one still. I don't have that problem with my 16" Mini-14 at all. No question whatsoever that in my hands I can outshoot a sub MOA AR15 offhand with my Mini...it might have 2-3 times the group sizes but but it holds 10 times steadier on target for me. Also, I've seen a LOT of AR's that won't shoot as good as my Mini14...a couple of them considered holy grail'ish AR's, one being a Knights Armament that cost 3X what my Mini cost. It's all just personal opinion and to me an AR or mini14 is a 0-250 yard fighting rifle and you just don't need a sub MOA rifle for that. That's my opinion anyhow.

don't get me wrong...

by rob @, Friday, September 04, 2015, 19:09 (3307 days ago) @ rob

I do like AR's and there is a lot I like about them over the Mini14...like the modular design and such. But for a grab and go rifle I just prefer the feel of the Mini-14 as well as its simplicity.

the newer minis have a faster twist rate and stabilize the

by stonewalrus, Friday, September 04, 2015, 21:31 (3307 days ago) @ rob

Bullets better. I think the minis get a bad rap from the older ones with a slower twist.

the newer minis have a faster twist rate and stabilize the

by rob @, Friday, September 04, 2015, 23:01 (3307 days ago) @ stonewalrus

I think mine has a 9" twist. I tend to prefer the 55 grain stuff anyhow since it's so plentiful. When I build or buy an upper for my AR I'm thinking about an 1:8 to stabilize some of the heavier bullets but I want it to shoot 55's well also. If it just shoots the XM193 loads into 1"-1.5" range I'd be real happy and probably just buy a few cases and give up hand loading the .223...save my time and money for loading important stuff like .30-06, .45-70 and the .35 and .43 magnums:)

mine is a 1:7 ranch rifle

by stonewalrus, Saturday, September 05, 2015, 08:32 (3307 days ago) @ rob

More accurate than I am. Pole axed a deer with it last fall. My only complaint is the way it slings and dings the brass.

Mine is the new stainless composite Tactical Ranch Rifle...

by rob @, Saturday, September 05, 2015, 08:49 (3307 days ago) @ stonewalrus

It's listed as I:9". It seems to shoot a lot of loads in the 2.5"-3" range (not three shot groups...five or more rounds) and with some loads it does even better in the 1.5"-2" range. It seems to like my hand loads, PMC is one of the better loads and Winchester Western 55 grain 5.56 shoots pretty good in it as well (about an inch higher than Federal XM193 and a little bit tighter groups as well). It doesn't seem to like the Barnes Vortex or my hand loads with the Barnes TSX bullets. I have some Remington Ultra Bonded Core-Locts that I need to try and see how it does with them. I'd really like to find a good factory load with a tough bullet for hogs and deer but so far I've been striking out. My AR loved the Barnes bullets, Winchester Razorback, etc.

I was using the Remington deer load on the deer I shot

by stonewalrus, Saturday, September 05, 2015, 10:52 (3307 days ago) @ rob

My 30-06 wouldn't have done any better.

I think I remember that...

by rob @, Saturday, September 05, 2015, 10:57 (3307 days ago) @ stonewalrus

You posted a pic didn't you? I bought that box of shells to try because of your picture.

Yes, I think I did. Weird deer - only one antler w 4 points

by stonewalrus, Saturday, September 05, 2015, 12:09 (3307 days ago) @ rob

Nm

RSS Feed of thread