Coloring ("bluing") stainless steel?

by stonewalrus, Monday, August 31, 2015, 05:30 (3312 days ago)

I have an NAA mini revolver in 22 mag and just picked up a 22 LR cylinder. I would like to "blue" the LR cylinder so the cylinders can be told apart at a glance. Any suggestions?

Can't be blued, however...

by Byron, Monday, August 31, 2015, 11:03 (3312 days ago) @ stonewalrus

There are many different coatings that would give the new cylinder a different color.

Reeder used a type of "black" chrome that might fit the bill.

Armaloy will give a dark grey color.

Gunkote could be pretty much any color you want.

Byron

Can't be blued, however...

by rob @, Saturday, September 05, 2015, 08:58 (3307 days ago) @ Byron

I have had a few bright stainless Vaqueros and I have used cold blue paste quite successfully to blue the rear sight area (the flat part and the little wallow right behind it) as well as the back of the front blade quite successfully. What a whole cylinder would look like I can't say but it works pretty well on small areas.

Just ding it with a set punch. nm

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, August 31, 2015, 11:58 (3312 days ago) @ stonewalrus

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Cerakote.

by mcassill, Monday, August 31, 2015, 15:09 (3312 days ago) @ stonewalrus

+1.

by MR, Monday, August 31, 2015, 16:28 (3312 days ago) @ mcassill

I wasn't a cerakote fan until I had a parts Hi Power cerakoted.

The more I handle it the more I like the cerakote.
I'd to another gun in a heartbeat if I had one that needed a new finish.

Coloring ("bluing") stainless steel?

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Monday, August 31, 2015, 16:08 (3312 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Well, the SS liner of my travel cup...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 09:49 (3311 days ago) @ stonewalrus

is tinged 'golden' from a couple of years of transporting coffee. Maybe a cheap way out? ;-)

A quick 'net search indicates other chemicals are capable, with muriatic acid showing up frequently. Other than the coffee cup, I have no first hand experience.

I have had two .22lr cylinder for a Earl and a .1.5" .22,mg

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 10:07 (3311 days ago) @ stonewalrus

I have used them each exactly ZERO times... why bother at all? Certainly now, there is not cost difference.

--

Right now I have a LOT more 22 LR than I do 22 mag ammo

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 11:50 (3311 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Nm

Do you really think you'll shoot more than a box through it

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 13:56 (3311 days ago) @ stonewalrus

??? ;-) They are silly little toys..

--

Better than a sharp stick - very loud noisemaker

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 14:06 (3311 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Actually I may carry it with 22 mag shotshells when I am fishing but with 38 wadcutters in my Airweight along for the ride.

not THAT much better than a sharp stick;-) I have actaully

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 23:50 (3310 days ago) @ stonewalrus

used one to prevent an assault upon my person, but I first had to over come the perp's disbelief that it was in fact a "real gun." Fortunately, he was easily dissuaded and I was able to halt the action without a shot... Never something to depend on.
Carry that airweight!

--

but it is a 22 MAGNUM... Seriously, I rarely carry it, more

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, September 02, 2015, 10:45 (3310 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Of a novelty but do carry it as backup for something a lot bigger on occasion.

Thank you, Rob...

by Byron, Tuesday, September 01, 2015, 17:50 (3310 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Took the words out of my mouth...

I might argue that a broke off broom handle at 3' would be better...

But I have learned my lesson and I won't...

Byron

Fingernail polish -- a drop'll do it on the cylinder....

by John Meeker @, NW Ohio, Thursday, September 03, 2015, 10:52 (3309 days ago) @ stonewalrus

the stuff is pretty good lacquer, ment to adhere. Clean area to grease-free squeaky clean and finish with wood alcohol. Should be pretty tenacious, thenm wehen applied in THIN coat. Bertter two thin,than a lump that can be bump/impacted off the steel..

RSS Feed of thread