Thoughts on pocket 9's?

by Murphy @, Sunday, August 16, 2015, 14:03 (3327 days ago)

I've been looking at the sub compact 9mm's of late. I often carry a P3AT and that beats nothing.

To say the least, it can get confusing reading all the reviews online. Of course I've looked at Jeff's reviews on Gunblast. And now I would like the input of those of you who own, carry and shoot them on a regular basis.

Thanks in advance.

Murphy

Talk with Matt O. he has a cool one for sale; Shield with

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, August 16, 2015, 14:18 (3327 days ago) @ Murphy

XS front sight. I love the Shield. The new striker fired LC9 is good too. I have gained a new respect for the 9 and 380 with the testing on Barnes new projectiles shot through and old ford truck...Double Tap Ammo great ammo.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Talk with Matt O. he has a cool one for sale; Shield with

by uncowboy, Sunday, August 16, 2015, 15:19 (3327 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I just started shooting the Beretta NANO and like it a lot. More of a jacket pocket carry though. J.michael

Thoughts on pocket 9's; I went with a pocket 45...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, August 16, 2015, 16:41 (3327 days ago) @ Murphy

maybe one day S&W or Ruger will make a small 45ACP. I like the little XDs. Now with the new bullets ammo available, I am beginning to come around to; it may not matter so much.

--

Thoughts on pocket 9's?

by MR, Sunday, August 16, 2015, 17:14 (3327 days ago) @ Murphy

I like right hand front pocket carry - especially in the summer. And it gets just as hot in Idabell as it does in Fort Worth. I generally carry either a 70's vintage airweight bodyguard or a KelTec PF-9 (had it since before Ruger started making KelTec PF-9's) and I do have to admit the PF-9 prints less. It shoots every time so far and hits a 12 inch gong with boring regularity at any kind of reasonable range out to about 25 yards. I haven't shot it futher than that. It's proven more reliable than my P3AT. For a always there, it's hard to beat a J frame or one of the mini 9's. They both print and weigh far less than even my skinny gripped Defender, and shoot much easier than my Colt Pocket 9's.

Thoughts on pocket 9's?

by NRA Dave @, BTR, Sunday, August 16, 2015, 17:39 (3327 days ago) @ Murphy

What works great for me is a Kahr PM-9 with the Crimson Trace laser in a Desantis nemesis holster. Works great in Orvis khakis or 5.11 shorts. I toss and extra mag in my back pocket.

I like my Springfield XDS in 45

by stonewalrus, Sunday, August 16, 2015, 18:20 (3327 days ago) @ Murphy

They make it in 9. Son #1 swears by his LC9. I have the Smith M&P Compact which is the fatter version of the Shield. I would go to someplace that has the Shield, LC9 and XDS and play touchy feely. Go with the one that fits your hand the best. I was wanting a full size 9 and went to the NRA convention. Handled several but the Ruger SR9 felt the best by far.

I see no advantage to a XDs in 9mm when they make it in 45

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, August 16, 2015, 18:30 (3327 days ago) @ stonewalrus

unless one is enfeebled...which, sadly, I am working on...;-)

--

Me either - only one more round in the magazine but he asked

by stonewalrus, Sunday, August 16, 2015, 19:14 (3327 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

About 9s... I don't think the 45 XDS is really all that nasty to shoot. Wouldn't want to run a couple hundred rounds through it in an afternoon but a few mags full isn't bad.

Haven't shot a large variety of the compacts but I like the

by StoneWolf, Sunday, August 16, 2015, 21:00 (3326 days ago) @ Murphy

LC9. Decent sights, fairly accurate and have never had a misfeed/jam. The main thing about it compared to some of the other compacts is that it is super slim and doesn't print as bad as something like my Glock. I'm referring to front pocket carry at least, in a belt holster I might go with something that can hold a few more rounds.

Been carrying an LC9 as a pocket gun for several years

by mcassill, Monday, August 17, 2015, 10:04 (3326 days ago) @ StoneWolf

And like it. Since getting it I've also shot the XDs and the Shield; both of those have a lot to like about them as well.

My favorite.........

by JD, Western Washington, Monday, August 17, 2015, 00:25 (3326 days ago) @ Murphy

I have a Kahr CM9 and like it a LOT. Very compact and very light, yet still very shootable. I think it weighs in at 14 oz. empty. 6 or 7 round mags. A very very smooth double action only trigger pull which some people don't like, but to me it feels like a smooth, light double action revolver trigger. Easy to conceal in a pocket holster wearing jeans and easy to carry when nothing else works.....

My 2 cents.....

Karh really led the way; they made a reliable and compact

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, August 17, 2015, 08:19 (3326 days ago) @ JD

pocket 9mm almost 20 years ago... Colt had one, but dropped it quickly. Kahr makes a reliable and well made pistol.

--

Thoughts on pocket 9's?

by Paul ⌂, Monday, August 17, 2015, 00:34 (3326 days ago) @ Murphy

Another vote for the Shield. Worked a swap for one this year. Haven't shot it a lot, but it's worked with every type of ammo I've put through it. It wasn't great on the 90 meter rams, but then that's not what it's designed for. My wife shoots it fairly well, so it's not a hard kicker. It's bulkier than I like for pocket carry, am waiting for a Simply Rugged carry solution to be delivered. Just wish it could travel south when we head that way again.

!!!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, August 17, 2015, 08:20 (3326 days ago) @ Paul

on its way...

--

I know. :) Looking forward to picking it up next month.

by Paul ⌂, Monday, August 17, 2015, 11:21 (3326 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Thoughts on pocket 9's?

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Monday, August 17, 2015, 04:20 (3326 days ago) @ Murphy

I've been very happy with my Shield. It's only slightly bigger length/height than a J frame and considerable thinner. I have tried quite a few pocket nines and this one feels the best so far. It's nearly as shootable as my full size M&P. The worst part on any auto loader vs a J frame is the edge at the back of the slide and rear sight. That corner is t there on a J frame and makes the revolver blend in and look like pocket junk vs a gun. I've made a few different styles of holsters for my Shield and those of others. I get a pic of mine up later, it's very minimalist and easy to pocket carry. I made this one for a buddy and he can pocket or iwb carry with this

[image]

It so nearly disappears in a IWB holster like this

[image]

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Thoughts on pocket 9's?

by Big Six, Monday, August 17, 2015, 10:41 (3326 days ago) @ Murphy

My son carries a Glock 43 (sorry to offend with use of the word) as an issue back up in a fairly large city here. He loves it.

Not as small as some but same dependability as other Glocks.

My two cents....

by Byron, Monday, August 17, 2015, 13:34 (3326 days ago) @ Murphy

I recently was privileged to attend a local gunslinger course designed to increase the efficacy of CCW holder in hitting a close range targets at speed. No shooting was done over 7 yards and most within 10'.

This class was based on the new FBI sidearm trained which addressed the fact that most shooting take place within conversational distances and where speed is of the essence.

http://www.handgunsmag.com/reviews/new-fbi-handgun-training/

18 shooters of all levels of proficiency and a wide range of pistols ranging from a Walther .22 to full size service weapons. About half were subcompact .380s and 9mms. I shot a P35 carried in a Sparks Summer special under a untucked polo shirt.

The fact that half the class had no business carrying a gun in public and were a danger to themselves and others is a topic for another conversation.

However, regarding the subject at hand. It was immediately apparent that the little guns were much much harder to hit with than a more conventional sized pistol even at these ranges. With the really little guns the difference was in my opinion unacceptable given the difficultly in hitting targets fast at close range even with a full size pistol. An example of this difficulty in hitting close and fast is quoted in the referenced article.

"In New York City, police who used their firearms in “Gunfights, Other Shootings vs Perpetrator, and Against Dogs,” hit their intended targets only 38 percent of the time at distances between zero and two yards—and just 17 percent of the time at three to seven yards. This data was gathered from 1994 to 2000."

Personally, it makes more sense to upgrade your holster and technique to allow better concealment of a more effective sidearm that going tiny because its easier to carry.

Byron

My two cents....as well

by Catoosa, Monday, August 17, 2015, 15:36 (3326 days ago) @ Byron

I have to agree with Byron. I pocket carry a J-frame or a Beretta 950BS when I absolutely cannot carry anything else, but I find that there are very few times that I can't conceal a lightweight Commander or even a Browning HP. Yes, there are certain styles of clothing that you can't wear, but an old fart like me ain't got no business wearin' that kind of clothes anyhow.

My two cents....

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Monday, August 17, 2015, 19:31 (3325 days ago) @ Byron

Byron,
I do agree with you in carrying a bigger gun If at all possible. I do have to say that my Shield shoots very well, not for a pocket gun, but for any gun of that style. I can shoot it just as well as my full size M&P and nearly as well as my G19. It seems to be the exception to the rule of pocket pistols not shooting well for me. Ive tried quite a few and had little luck. I wish the shield would have been an option years ago, it would have saved me quite a bit of wasted time and money!

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

YEP! But, some folks will never bother with belt carry...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, August 18, 2015, 16:48 (3325 days ago) @ Byron

heck, I know of grown men that won't even wear a belt???!!!

--

I fit that description... Rarely wear a belt

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Tuesday, August 18, 2015, 18:13 (3325 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I've always had trouble keeping my britches up, and now that I'm losing some weight it's getting even tougher. So I've gone to wearing suspenders. Pocket carry work even better, let the suspenders carry the weight of the gun.

I couldn't do that. Been carrying a gun and knife since 14.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, August 18, 2015, 22:59 (3324 days ago) @ Warhawk

to each his own.

--

It's just the way I'm made ...

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Wednesday, August 19, 2015, 18:08 (3324 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

My daddy was the same way, no butt so a belt almost needs one hand on it to keep it up!

I wonder if I could find a leather maker to make me a gunbelt rig with provisions to attach my suspenders?

RSS Feed of thread