LCP Ammo. What do you think?

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Thursday, July 23, 2015, 10:16 (3351 days ago)

I have been using Sig H.P. as my carry ammo since I purchased the Ruger Custom LCP. I have been buying what ever target ammo I could find to practice with it. A couple of weeks ago I bought a box of Winchester white box target and found that they had a wide flat point. They fed perfectly through the LCP and I started thinking if you alternate the H.P. with the flat point you would have the best of expansion and penetration if the need would happen.

Does this make sense? I know 380 is minimal for self defense and would like to make the best of it.

I would run all the same ammo. the best you can afford that

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, July 23, 2015, 10:27 (3351 days ago) @ Art

works 100% reliably. the flat point is interesting...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I Have been know

by Frank S, Thursday, July 23, 2015, 14:10 (3351 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

to mix FMJ & Hollow point ammo in various handguns especially in the winter.

What happens when the one round you manage to connect with .

by JD, Western Washington, Thursday, July 23, 2015, 14:57 (3351 days ago) @ Art

If you alternate FMJ and HP, what happens when the one round that you manage to connect with is a FMJ when you really need expansion and tissue destruction? Remember, Murphy is alive and well......

Personally, I would carry the best hollow point ammo that you can afford and functions 100%. Actually, that's what I do in my Ruger Custom LCP. Relatively low velocity FMJ leave a LOT to be desired for personal protection, whereas good HP's both expand and penetrate relatively well.

My 2 cents.......

i carry mine with Glasers...

by Boge Quinn, Thursday, July 23, 2015, 15:25 (3351 days ago) @ Art

...or Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrators.

I carry mine with Hydrashock`s

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Thursday, July 23, 2015, 16:31 (3351 days ago) @ Boge Quinn

Mine LCP is a early one; alot of the finish is gone. it has never jammed, I tryed to make it jam. I carry it in a milt sparks POC holster .It shoots 10 inches high at 25yds. I clean it every week and shoot it every 2 weeks . It just plain works! my 2 cents:-D

I would run all the same ammo. the best you can afford that

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Thursday, July 23, 2015, 16:46 (3351 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I have shot the crap out of it and it has worked flawlesly. I kind of questioned such a small handgun's reliability but I am very impressed by it. I will stick with the Sig ammo and look for other premium ammo also.

Thanks

Art

IMO...

by Byron, Friday, July 24, 2015, 06:29 (3350 days ago) @ Art

The limiting variable in .380 ACP performance as an effective anti-personal round is penetration. This limiting variable is greatly increased in the miniature pistols with very short barrels.

If one accepts the position that the FBI knows a little bit about bullet wounds, then one accepts that one needs about 12" of penetration in gel as an effective minimum.

So then by default, this leaves all the hollow point/expanding bullets fired from very short barreled .380 ACP pistols wanting and some greatly so.

The round that shines in these little guns in the Buffalo Bore +P 100 gr hard cast load. While it does not expand, it does penetrate like crazy and is a very effective round in the .380 ACP. Note that the expanding bullets actually limit the terminal ballistics of the round in that they reduce the critical penetration variable.

The flat point FMJ round referenced might fit the bill as well.

FYI: The Glaser Safety bullet is 20 year old technology and demonstrates around 5" of penetration in gel.

Byron

I agree.

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Friday, July 24, 2015, 08:08 (3350 days ago) @ Byron

Read a lot of autopsy reports and medical records of shootings over the years and with small calibers, penetration is usually the deciding factor. I carry Buffalo Bore in mine.

For me, I'd load it with the best hollow points you can find

by mcassill, Saturday, July 25, 2015, 05:42 (3349 days ago) @ Art

RSS Feed of thread