H&R/NEF Single Shots are kaput

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 17:56 (3360 days ago)

I spoke with H&R today, the Handi-Rifles and single shot shotguns are dead. Also, all the accessory barrels are gone.

Sad.

I did find a NEF 45-70 with the full length forearm yesterday though. I should buy it I guess.

We've know for a while but never understood quite

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 19:44 (3360 days ago) @ Andrew

why. Are they too expensive to produce (what did it cost to produce one)? I ask this, if you should know, because we sell all we get, new or used and they are particularly popular in .410 bore for first guns and for pest control.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

My guess is that it was a casualty of all the merger/buyouts

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 20:16 (3360 days ago) @ Hobie

Maybe the machinery and inventory was worth more on the ledgers than the production profits over the long term.

It just occurred to me that Remington might not have wanted competition from within for it's own line of the 770 rifles. The Handi-Rifles were pushing the same price point.

Interesting. I don't know what is competing with the

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, July 14, 2015, 22:46 (3360 days ago) @ Andrew

shotguns... The 770 is crap, I'd have dumped that in favor of the Handi-rifles and improved customer perception of the brand.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Corporate killers.

by cas, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 15:56 (3359 days ago) @ Hobie

More and more I'm convinced of the theory that they want to go under.

H&R came with Marlin.

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 19:16 (3359 days ago) @ Hobie

Marlin makes leverguns, Remington doesn't. Sell a nice, accurate, single shot rifle and the next one bought might be a Ruger #1. Maybe Remington thinks the next rifle a 770 buyer will get is a 700.

Seems a bit telling that they didn't even try to sell the H&R/NEF tooling and names. Instead we get Chinese 870 copies labeled as such.

Whatever it is, more and more I'm becoming...

by rob @, Wednesday, July 15, 2015, 22:59 (3359 days ago) @ Andrew

A full fledged Ruger guy. New Ruger's and old Smiths. There just isn't much Remington has anymore that interests me. I like the 700's but all I hear is crappy QC with Remington these days. If I want another fine bolt gun I'll buy another Ruger or CZ to add to my collection. It killed me to see Remington take over Marlin.

I guess I should have added a disclaimer...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, July 16, 2015, 08:27 (3358 days ago) @ rob
edited by Hobie, Thursday, July 16, 2015, 08:52

I only own 3 Remingtons, a Model 8, a Model 241 and a Model 12C. I suppose that goes to prove that modern Remingtons don't interest me.

PS - Oh, and two repros of cap and ball revolvers...

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

H&R/NEF Single Shots are kaput

by Drago, Thursday, July 16, 2015, 19:31 (3358 days ago) @ Andrew

They should take this down. http://www.hr1871.com/

Not competent enough to do so...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Friday, July 17, 2015, 22:06 (3357 days ago) @ Drago

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

RSS Feed of thread