Morning entertainment

by Catoosa, Wednesday, July 08, 2015, 21:17 (3366 days ago)

The yard doe brought her fawn up this morning. She has been stashing it down in the cedar thicket in the lower corner of the yard. We knew she had one, but had not seen it until this morning.

Little sucker apparently has just discovered how much fun running is. He/she/it reminded me of a kid with a new go-kart.... around and around at top speed, back and forth across the yard. Then stop at mama's station to "refuel", then off again. We sat in the carport and laughed our butts off.

Morning entertainment

by Kings6, Dallas, OR, Wednesday, July 08, 2015, 23:14 (3366 days ago) @ Catoosa

Sounds like the two little calves I had born last month. Tail up to catch the wind and away they go just pestering the daylights out of their mommas and last years calves. Can sit and watch them go all day, it is that fun to watch.

I can totally relate...

by Brian A, Friday, July 10, 2015, 00:39 (3365 days ago) @ Catoosa

Have three does with fawns hanging around, one older doe with a large snout and a single fawn, a doe with small button antlers and a single fawn and a younger doe with twins. It is always fun to watch them play around in the yard, the twins are particularly amusing as they chase each other around. They have been hanging around for about five weeks now and at least one doe with her offspring is seen daily, it never gets old.

I can totally relate...

by Catoosa, Friday, July 10, 2015, 19:43 (3364 days ago) @ Brian A

When the fawns get to a certain age, a group of does will often swap out "daycare duty". Last year we had three does who each had single fawns. When the fawns got to the running-around stage, we began seeing all three together with only one doe. The does were enough different in size and color that we could tell them apart, and they seemed to swap off every couple of days. I guess at that point they were glad to get a break from having to chase after the little brats.

I have a small group that beds on the back part of our

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Friday, July 10, 2015, 11:54 (3364 days ago) @ Catoosa

property and the little ones are so much fun to watch playng in our back yard and running around the lake. They keep my berry trees trimmed for me.

Morning entertainment

by Paul ⌂, Saturday, July 11, 2015, 10:42 (3363 days ago) @ Catoosa

We just spent 10 days up in the Rockies. We got to see several mule deer does, their fawns are very similar in temperament! My wife got a short video of one fawn as we were heading out of the area. Full of vim and vigor indeed!

RSS Feed of thread