Any Ruger Gunsite Scout owners/users?

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 08:50 (3387 days ago)

There is something about that rifle that gets my mind a'churnin'. The platform and cartridge (only thinking .308 here) are known entities. I have read a bit on the issues of the polymer mags but it seems Ruger has sorted that out.

Any observations?

Thanks!

by mcassill, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 09:36 (3387 days ago) @ Hoot

I know Sheriff Wilson has been playing with one and really likes it. Been following his reports on Facebook with great interest. Had a Savage Scout when those first came out years ago; the concept was a lot better than the execution in that case. I expect that Ruger got it right.

by uncowboy, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 12:40 (3387 days ago) @ mcassill

Friend has one very accurate and a fine overall rifle. But with the price they demand I would look for a used Styer scout and get the best. J.Michael

Thanks but I just can't warm up to the Steyr.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 07:45 (3386 days ago) @ uncowboy

And even the used ones I found look to be about $500 over a new Ruger.

by stonecoldrc, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 14:29 (3387 days ago) @ Hoot

I have had one since shortly after they became available. I used a Burris intermediate eye relief scope on it for a year or so, but did not like the narrow field of view and the low power. Put on a Nikon 2x7 and really like it. Rifle is accurate and easy to shoot and pack. Groups usually just over an inch, sometimes under. I generally leave the flash hider on it, but it seems to make no difference in shooting. I have 10 and 5 round mags and rifle has never bobbled. I shoot mostly 150 grain bullets, and some 165s. Have had good luck with 4895. I have killed quite a few deer and some hogs with it. I think I can hunt anything I am likely to hunt with this rifle. This rifle has been well worth the money.

Thank you Sir.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 07:43 (3386 days ago) @ stonecoldrc

Good information there.

I had one, It is too heavy, I despise the AI metal mags... I

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 16:51 (3386 days ago) @ Hoot
edited by Rob Leahy, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 17:00

have not one good thing to say about those AI Mags. Find a Frontier Scout THAT is a superior rifle. Ed Head was trying to get Ruger to go with M14 or FAL Metrics , but Ruger Engineers wouldn't tackle it... What's the point in a slow to load box magazine?
The synthetic five rounders are the only way to go; one can press a round into the mags and the feed lips will bend and flex enough to allow for faster loading.
I have a Custom Scout on a Remington 600 that is a true Scout. I have a 77 RSI with a 2x7 Leupold that is a better "Scout" rifle than any I have used. Light handy accurate it is all one piece. On the plus side very accurate and fun to shoot. I had a Leopold Scout scope 1.5 to 6 (i think) Sold it all to a friend that just loves it.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Thank you Rob. Your experience means much to me.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 22:27 (3386 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Here's what I did not write so's not to skew the answers...

I own a fairly decent pile of rifles. They are all 'neat' in their own way. However, they also tend toward the esoteric in terms of caliber or form. That's cool with me because it's what I like.

I have been thinking recently though that there are not too many rifles which I would define as "grab and go". Maybe the couple of .303's hanging around might serve this role but I have to consider Miss Melodie's abilities as well.

She owns a Ruger American compact in .308 and she is VERY able with it. The Gunsite Scout is available in .308, has up to a 10 round magazine, is a platform with which I am very comfortable. The .308 has no flies on it for just about any use I can imagine. And, I suppose, I am something of a Ruger fan (surprised?).

Couple all that with the happenstance of a friend wanting to sell his at a reasonable price...

I guess what it looks like today is that there are worse choices and, perhaps, better. It still seems like it wouldn't be a "wrong" decision.

Thanks again for your help.

Sounds like a plan

by mcassill, Friday, June 19, 2015, 07:06 (3385 days ago) @ Hoot

.308 is a bit light for bison or grizzly, but will handle any other use in the lower 48 quite nicely. For "grab and go" I would prefer a good semi-auto, but that's just me.

It has many pluses... I can't get over the AI mags

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, June 19, 2015, 23:02 (3385 days ago) @ Hoot

but that is just me... I ended up with 6 mags for mine...

--

Sorry Rob. What is "AI"?

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Saturday, June 20, 2015, 09:21 (3384 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Also, did you try the poly mags?

Apparently Accuracy International?

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Saturday, June 20, 2015, 11:06 (3384 days ago) @ Hoot

Do they make the Ruger mags or is it 'in the AI style'? Sorry, just trying to sort out this animal.

Thanks!

Accuracy International; manufacturer of the metal Very

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, June 20, 2015, 22:41 (3384 days ago) @ Hoot

slow to load magazines for Remington, Savage and Ruger (Proly more)... Yes, the Synthetic mags are the way to go. I worked around the mag thing by buying several. I like the plastic one best (Seems like heresy to see ME type THAT)
Had my tang safety 77 International out at the range today...It is just a pure pleasure ton shoot. Helped a young man sight in a .22 Marlin, with a old scope I gave him... Those new triggers are great. Ran into an old acquaintance and helped him sight in a Ruger American. He had never shot at a range or a paper target before... Nice morning at the range.

--

Sounds like a great day!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Sunday, June 21, 2015, 09:52 (3383 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Thanks for the explanation.

I had one, It is too heavy, I despise the AI metal mags... I

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Monday, June 22, 2015, 16:57 (3382 days ago) @ Rob Leahy
edited by Warhawk, Monday, June 22, 2015, 17:02

Rob ... Agree 100% out the Ruger Scout rifle. I have a Remington 700 LTR that feels lighter than my Ruger GS did. I honestly don't see the point in a detachable magazine on a bolt gun and my 40+ years of shooting with a conventional scope leaves me cold to the idea of a scout scope.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Thursday, June 18, 2015, 17:37 (3386 days ago) @ Hoot

I just saw this new offering from Savage the other day. I'd like to see one in person to see how it feels...

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/model/11Scout

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

RSS Feed of thread