.300 AAC Blackout in Ruger Mini... What do y'all think?

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 17:19 (3388 days ago)

I've been interested in the cartridge, on and off, and in the Ruger Mini-series rifles, on and off, for quite a while so I am interested in the combination. But this particular gun almost seems a weak sister to the Mini-30 in 7.62x39, not up to the accuracy of the AR-series guns (for such as is normally shot suppressed). The cartridge seems to me to be a bit improved more "usable" version of the .30 Herrett (ballistically speaking). I like the .30 Herrett as a carbine cartridge as a use it in my Contender. Perhaps I'm missing something or maybe my reticence to drop the hammer and buy one is well-founded. What say you all?

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I like the reliabiluty of the Mini 14. But the magazine cost

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 17:42 (3388 days ago) @ Hobie

and limitations, really turn me off.
I never thought I would say it, but the AR rifle really has it beat.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I like the reliabiluty of the Mini 14. But the magazine cost

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Monday, June 22, 2015, 09:24 (3382 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

No more Mini's for me, for Rob's reasons stated above, mainly magazines and accuracy issues.

I have not hunted with the BLK yet, but I'm reading lots of reports that an AR in 300 BLK significantly better hog gun than a 5.56. At least when using 110-125 grain supersonic ammo with good bullets. Should get a report on this soon as I sent my son in Texas a 300 BLK upper, he's an avid hunter and was losing hogs shot with his 5.56 AR.

Ruger makes the American Ranch Rifle (bolt gun) in 300 BLK, both in full size and youth versions. These have a threaded barrel and would be ideal for a cheap, super quiet suppressor host. I intend to pick up one of the youth models. Also, I have not tried it yet but some folks are using a subsonic load with a 90 grain softpoint over trailboss that unsuppressed is said to be quiet, on the order of a 22 CB cap. But like I said, I haven't tried it yet. If it works, I plan to have some of those ready for shooting pests around the hacienda.

For pigs the 110 gr Barnes works very nicely

by mcassill, Monday, June 22, 2015, 11:28 (3382 days ago) @ Warhawk

Punched a nice hole through both shoulders of a 300 lb sow with one a year ago. Barnes is starting to offer a 120 gr version of same that May or may not work better.

For pigs the 110 gr Barnes works very nicely

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Monday, June 22, 2015, 16:52 (3382 days ago) @ mcassill

A little more explanation is probably required here. My son has been using the Remington "Hog Hammer" ammo (223) in his AR-15. He's finding that it works great when the hogs are not spooked, and he has time to aim carefully. But the objective is to kill as many of the hogs as possible to limit the damage they are doing on the ranch he's hunting. Follow up shots from the .223 are probably killing the hogs, maybe?, but the only ones they are recovering at the hog's they ear holed with the first shot.

A 308 AR would be the logical choice, but he doesn't have one (and ain't getting mine!) I happened to have a spare upper in 300 BLK that I bought during the Black Friday sales last year, and got it cheap. So I sent it off to Texas for my son to try out on hogs. I think he plans to use the Hog Hammer ammo in 300 BLK (Which uses a Barnes bullet).

I hope he puts it to good use before the Air Force decides they need his talents elsewhere (C-130 pilot).

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 19:18 (3388 days ago) @ Hobie

As much as I like my Mini 14, I agree the AR has it beat overall.

.300 Blackout seems to be a niche cartridge

by bj @, Tuesday, June 16, 2015, 21:38 (3388 days ago) @ Hobie

And I mean considering what the 300 Blackout does that the .223 doesn't do. I think the AR is a good platform for either cartridge.

It's a 200-yard deer and pig rifle...

by mcassill, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 07:50 (3387 days ago) @ Hobie

Which in much of the country is all you really need.

Slight topic shift: Which bullets have you been using?

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 08:45 (3387 days ago) @ mcassill

Thanks!

Slight topic shift: Which bullets have you been using?

by mcassill, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 09:21 (3387 days ago) @ Hoot

For plinking, a pile of 125gr "major manufacturer seconds" match hollowpoints. For hunting, the 110 gr. black-tip Barnes, made specifically for the BLK. Both over H110, which I already had a healthy quantity of on hand.

by bmize, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 14:15 (3387 days ago) @ Hobie

If you want it for a quiet shooting get a bolt gun. If you want a semi for emptying brass, get a AR.
After shooting by a guy at the range one day, I had to have one to play with. I had John Gallagher put together a bolt gun from parts I gathered up. later I found a "Big Name" used AR barrel and put it together myself.

The bolt gun I shoot the 200gr SMK's at sub speeds with a can. Shooting at a 10" plate it sounds and reacts like you whack the plate with a 2lb hammer. Mine is very accurate compared to the reports I hear, it will hold well under MOA out to 100.
Shooting off the deck down to the creek, my daughter came up the steps and wanted to know why I was shoting my nephews air rifle.

The AR I set up for the 110 Barnes TTSX. It has the pistol length gas system and will cycle either bullet, with or without the can.
With the can, the lower has to be flushed out after every couple hundered rounds or the trigger gets iffy. It might get hunted with one of these days.

A couple of previously unconsidered points in all this...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, June 17, 2015, 20:51 (3387 days ago) @ Hobie

Thank you.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by Jared, Friday, June 19, 2015, 12:17 (3385 days ago) @ Hobie

I am not a gun trader and I traded my Mini 30 pretty quickly. And other than to say I had one, I have never missed it.

It wansnt accurate (3"+ at 50 yards) it wouldn't set off Russian bulk ammo primers 100% and it was only reliable with the factory 5 round magazine. I know the new ones are better but I was pretty soured on it. I love the M1/M1A platform and am amazed how they dropped the ball on this one.

I have it from a good source the Ruger american in .300 BO is the bees knees for suppressed use, and probably interests me more than a semi auto, even one in a AR platform.

The BLK in an AR is great fun

by mcassill, Friday, June 19, 2015, 14:30 (3385 days ago) @ Jared

And for my purposes a lot more useful than a .223. One of these days I'm going to give cast a try in mine just to see how it goes.

The BLK in an AR is great fun

by Jared, Friday, June 19, 2015, 16:46 (3385 days ago) @ mcassill

I have shot cast in my Beowulf with no problems.

With my BLK the only real question...

by mcassill, Friday, June 19, 2015, 19:41 (3385 days ago) @ Jared

Is whether it will run cast subs without a can on it. Since our State Senate is a bunch of #%^€£¥<>?~}{

by Jared, Friday, June 19, 2015, 21:43 (3385 days ago) @ mcassill

I am a little iffy on shooting cast through a can I couldn't clean. Rogers AAC upper doesn't like 220s with H110 and the can.

H110 is too fast for 220s.

by mcassill, Friday, June 19, 2015, 22:10 (3385 days ago) @ Jared

I have a few pounds of 1680 on hand whenever I get around to trying that combo.

H110 is too fast for 220s.

by Jared, Saturday, June 20, 2015, 10:22 (3384 days ago) @ mcassill

Apparently a pistol length gas system will run them sometimes with a can. He is having trouble finding 1680. Imagine that :-)

H4227?

by bj @, Sunday, June 21, 2015, 17:41 (3383 days ago) @ Jared

Maybe even 4198?

H4227?

by Jared, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 00:07 (3380 days ago) @ bj

I don't think he has any of that either. I do though. But. Don't have a blackout or a can to test it with.

Good info on BLK powders...

by mcassill, Thursday, June 25, 2015, 13:46 (3379 days ago) @ Jared

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Monday, June 22, 2015, 16:54 (3382 days ago) @ mcassill

In my research on the 300 BLK, it seems that an adjustable gas block would be a good idea in your situation. (Subsonic ammo without a suppressor)

RSS Feed of thread