Sighting in a .22 rimfire for hunting

by Murphy @, Friday, June 12, 2015, 20:14 (3392 days ago)

Just thought I'd get the gangs input on sighting in a couple of my .22 rimfires.

Rifle #1 is a Remington 541-T and I know what it is capable of. So, I'll most likely sight it back in at 50 yards after a recent scope change. It's been my go to .22 for 15 years now.

Rifle #2 will be a Remington Nylon 66 with open sights. The very first rifle I ever bought with my own money right out of high school was a Nylon 66. I took my fair share of squirrels with it back then. I sold it (young & dumb) and wanted one for decades and replaced it several years back. It's now time to get it out in the woods.

Rifle #3 is an old Mossberg 151K (1950-1951 vintage) with a 3x9 Tasco (one of the good ones made in Japan). The trigger is going be the challenge. It's a pretty long pull and gritty.

Thoughts and input on rifles #2 & #3 would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Murphy

Sighting in a .22 rimfire for hunting

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Friday, June 12, 2015, 20:36 (3392 days ago) @ Murphy

For #2 & 3, depends on you ability to hit with the gun. To me, open sights would be 25 yd and the scoped one at 50 yd if I can reliably hit with it.

With a couple of assumptions...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, June 12, 2015, 20:37 (3392 days ago) @ Murphy

Sight height 0.5"
Muzzle velocity 1300fps
Bullet weight 40gr

Sighting in at 50 will have the bullet path within 1" (+/- 0.5" from point of aim) from muzzle to somewhere between 55 and 60 yards. About 2.25" low at 75 and around 6.5" low at 100.

Same thing but sighted in at 75 will have the bullet within about 3.2" (+/- 1.6" from point of aim) out to between 85 and 90 yards and 3.5" low at 100.

Of course, changing the sight height, bullet weight or velocity will push those numbers around a bit.

Great calculator here => http://handloads.com/calc/

I can only get it to format correctly in IE. Firefox does some weird things with the tables. Haven't tried any other browser.

Have fun!

Get that Mossy's trigger slicked up.......

by John Meeker @, Saturday, June 13, 2015, 08:39 (3391 days ago) @ Murphy

...and don't mess with it otherwise. Mossberg vintage products can be right up in the target-rifle accuracy category. Shot a similar rifle on Explorer Scouts rifle team. 'Possibles' at the 50-foot gallery distance were within the gun's capabilities, and the 'antique' always drew a comment or two at matches. Well kept secret, and worth testing with assorted ammo.

killing power limited at longer ranges with rimfires.

by passing by, Sunday, June 14, 2015, 08:34 (3390 days ago) @ Murphy

The magnums stretch effective range maybe 25 yds. I normally sight in at 25yds which puts it just a little high (less than inch) at 50-60yds depending on other variables and about back down to zero at 75yds. Any hunting past effective PBR is hole punching and pencils right through with lost critters. My opinion anyhow. Depends on critters. Depends on if hunting for food or just killing. Depends on barrel and length and humidity in Bophuthatswana.

RSS Feed of thread