Gunslinger school for CCW holders...

by Byron, Tuesday, June 09, 2015, 11:21 (3395 days ago)

I attended a interesting gunslinger class over the weekend down in Kansas City that was put on by a local trainer that consistently puts on a worthwhile class.

Only a half day and 200 rounds and focused on teaching practical shooting for concealed permit holders. Most here know the vast majority of CCW classes are inadequate and teach the holder just enough to be dangerous to themselves and others as well as completely unprepared for a truly violent encounter requiring shooting. This is the only program I have attended where the cadre will actually become physical with the class during some of the drills in order to demonstrate how things fundamentally change when you are being manhandled.

The class was encouraged to bring their carry gun and holster. The mix was from a Walther .22 pistol to numerous S&W auto and Glocks to a couple of 1911s in all kind of holsters. Half little guns. No revolvers.

It instantly became clear that most could not quickly present their sidearm and most required two hands to move clothing out of the way in order to get at the gun. It was an eye opener for many to really see how poorly prepared they were at coming up with a gun quickly with one hand when being rushed by a large man from across the room.

It also became instantly clear that the small guns were much less effective at hitting the targets than full size pistols even though with proper holsters and clothing the full size guns were nearly as concealable.

Most of the shooting drills involved two or three bad guys and the limited capacity of the small guns put them at a disadvantage compared to a full size pistol. 18 rounds are better than 6.

By the end of the class most of the guys that were carrying the little guns had decided to switch to a larger one that was easier to hit with and carried more ammo as well as change holsters. A number of guys had rigs that would allow their clothing to bunch up around the gun that could get inside their Glock trigger guard when it was re-holstered. Bad scene.

As upwards of 90% of shootings take place within 10' and most within 5' the ranges were setup accordingly. Again, it became very clear very quickly that at these distances the two handed technique commonly taught was wrong. Those with a bit of practice at one handed point shooting at 5' had it all over the two handed “watch the front sight” guys. Jerk the gun and fire a burst while running to the side. No contest.

There were a number of lasers that the owners had great confidence in helping them quickly hit accurately. Without exception when shooting as fast as they could at 5' the lasers were of no benefit and probably actually a distraction. There was a low light series of drills and the lasers were clearly helpful when carefully shooting at targets 20 yards away in the dark.

If you carry you need more training than the CCW class covered and most of it can not be done on your own. All these guys walked into the class with confidence that they knew what they were doing and more than "comfortable" carrying a sidearm. It was a humbling and educational experience.

Byron

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Tuesday, June 09, 2015, 19:33 (3395 days ago) @ Byron
edited by Cherokee, Tuesday, June 09, 2015, 19:36

I hear you, and others should as well. My church security team (all CCW holders) has gone to special training under a local instructor who has challenged each of us and put us through exerces that demonstrated we were not as well prepared as we thought when we started, even on the most basic things. We've had our second class now and much has improved, but still a way to go. Individual weaknesses have been identified, it remains to be see if people will work on those themselves before we have our next class in 6 months.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, June 12, 2015, 06:40 (3392 days ago) @ Byron

Sounds like a good day! I definitely need to get more training. I've had one class on defensive pistols and while fairly basic, I felt like I picked up a few good things. Was this a Suarez group based class? Sounds like his current mantra.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Sounds like a very interesting class...

by Brian A, Friday, June 12, 2015, 09:22 (3392 days ago) @ Byron

I have taught basic classes for people who are interested in obtaining a concealed carry license in MI. Always try to give some information to help students be better prepared for actual carrying of a concealed firearm, but there is only so much time available in the basic course. It is an NRA certified course, so I must provide their required information to validate the certificate students receive, and the state mandates specific things which must be covered as well. That leaves very little time for anything extra, so it would be great to provide another course for those willing to obtain more advanced training, if enough students would be willing to take it.

Sounds like a very interesting class...

by Big Six, Friday, June 19, 2015, 09:13 (3385 days ago) @ Brian A

"it would be great to provide another course for those willing to obtain more advanced training, if enough students would be willing to take it."

A wonderful idea.

as my wife says: "... when attacked, at best, you will only have a couple of seconds."

RSS Feed of thread