Range day last Thursday...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, June 06, 2015, 19:14 (3398 days ago)

Got to shoot today so took the nickeled S&W M34. Shot over 75 rounds, maybe as many as 100 rounds being a mix of 20-year old Federal HVHPs and Winchester Dynapoints and new Federal HVHP. I was surprised to find that the Federal, old or new, required a slight push to fully seat in the cylinder and would drag on the recoil shield sometimes very badly. The Dynapoints dropped right into the chamber and didn't drag at all. I guess this will ensure the Dynapoints get designated for this gun.

Also shot the Browning 1911-22. That gun is about the best one I have to shoot up that old Russian Junior ammo. It seems to love that ammo. Doesn't do badly with the Federal or Dynapoints either. For such a little gun it is pretty accurate. I think it will shoot better than I can shoot it right now. The small sights are a real challenge for me.

After having difficulties with the open sights on the 34 and 1911-22 I thought I would go back to my Tactical Solutions conversion on Combat Commander frame. This has a Burris Fastfire mounted. I think that sight is great for seeing a sight but it doesn't seem to easily give me much precision. While I could hit a head sized target at 50 yards I couldn't tell you where I would hit it. The target looked more like it had suffered several strikes from #4 buck than having been shot with a precision firearm.

When I got there a buddy (he's 75) was shooting his Rock Island .22 TCM. He has 2, one with the 5" barrel and one with a 4¼" barrel. John is a very experienced reloader. He says that he is having problems finding a bullet that is accurate in his reloads. He has tried several. The 5" barrel keyholes! If I understood correctly, I don't think it does this with factory ammo though. He was shooting at a measured 27 yards. His groups were in the 2½-3" range.

I have to say that the nickeled Model 34 has been a wonderful thing since it returned from Smith and Wesson. I am really pleased even though I was really ansty about sending the revolver away and awaiting its return. The square butt 34 has a very different feel compared to this round butt. I like them both but they are different guns.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Range day last Thursday...

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Saturday, June 06, 2015, 19:51 (3398 days ago) @ Hobie

Sounds like a lot of fun. Nothing like a good day at the range...I've wondered about reloading for the 22 TCM, sounds like a challenge. He may need 224 size rather 223.

TCM...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, June 06, 2015, 21:03 (3398 days ago) @ Cherokee

I don't know much about the cartridge aside from the few articles I've read. I.e. I've no personal experience with this round.

He thought his 5" barrel had a bad crown and re-crowned it (instead of sending it back) so he doesn't feel he should send it back. It does seem that the barrel isn't right in some way. He IS shooting .224" bullets, 35 gr. VMAX and 40 gr. and 45 gr. somethings I can't remember right now.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

RSS Feed of thread