Black Powder Question: Probably sacrilege, but...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, June 02, 2015, 07:37 (3402 days ago)

what are the ramifications, if any, of shooting jacketed bullets with BP? Everything I have read deals with lead projectiles.

I have nearly everything in hand to shoot that little rook rifle now. The biggest challenge has been to come up with suitable bullets. I have a small quantity of LRN but also managed to find appropriately sized jacketed bullets from Norma and RWS. Long term plan is to order up a mold and shoot lead/BP but, in the mean time....

Anyway, thanks!

Good question...

by Brian A, Tuesday, June 02, 2015, 09:01 (3402 days ago) @ Hoot

I don't really know the answer, but am looking forward to reading it. The only things I do know is older black powder rifles were often made of softer steels that would wear much faster with jacketed bullets. Lead slugs will also upset better to seal against blow-by, give higher velocities and give better expansion on target. All of these things I am very sure you also knew as well.

I tried some BP and Pyrodex with jacketed bullets

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, June 02, 2015, 09:34 (3402 days ago) @ Hoot

in my .45-75 WCF. I really think that the lube that can be distributed in the bore by the cast bullet is preferable to the "scraping" one must count on to remove powder fouling with the jacketed bullets. Get by with it? Yes. Hunt with it? Yes. The best choice for shooting? Not so much. That's just my take on it with this one experience.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

I tried some BP and Pyrodex with jacketed bullets

by uncowboy, Tuesday, June 02, 2015, 14:59 (3402 days ago) @ Hobie

OK I'm not sure if your wanting to use a sabot or not.
Fit is function in all we do. A jacketed bullet won't expand to fit bore in a black powder. That is why we use sabots. With sabots or paper patch all is achievable. look to fit and then you can do all that you want. J.Michael

DOH! I knew what I meant.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, June 02, 2015, 16:19 (3402 days ago) @ uncowboy

Apologies. This is for a BP cartridge approximately like a European 38-55. It is the 9.3x57R/360. Original bullet weights were 12.5gram...190 or so grains. I found a small supply of lead bullets and an equally small supply of jacketed. I have been told the jackets on these are both soft and thin in deference to the original barrels. Neither soft nor thin were quantified. Jacketed bullet diameter matches well with the land diameter.

I have a dummy cartridge loaded which will not yet completely chamber. I will do a chamber cast tomorrow to fully understand what we're mating up to. Right now, I suspect a thick neck (straight tapered case) as I am using shortened 9.3x72R cases.

I did pick up some 36 caliber pre-lubed wads to place over the powder charge. Once I figure out how load cartridges which will chamber, the shooting experiments will start.

Black Powder Question: Probably sacrilege, but...

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, June 03, 2015, 20:34 (3401 days ago) @ Hoot

You might try a lube cookie. You can easily make some of Your own by melting some lube and pouring a thin (1/8") layer into a small container. Dump your powder and use another case to cut out some cookies and place them on top of the settled powder charge. If you are shooting in hotter weather or going to store them awhile, you may want to put a disc of waxed paper under the lube so it doesn't migrate into the powder charge. I haven't done this with jacketed bullets but have with paper patched in the old 11mm Mauser I used to have.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

I have been reading everything I can by Paul Matthews.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, June 04, 2015, 05:59 (3400 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I will eventually follow along on what he suggests but didn't want to go whole hog just yet. Right now, I just want to hear it bark.

RSS Feed of thread