Our priest is out of town next Sunday.....

by Otony, Sunday, May 31, 2015, 18:50 (3404 days ago)

.......and it looks like I'm saddling up to do a Typika, also called a Reader Service. It has been many a moon since I've needed to do a solo service, and I'm a wee bit anxious about it. Not sure why, as it is a fairly orchestrated service with only a few lines unique to the commemorations of the day, but doing something out of the usual often makes me nervous.

Now, once I get going the jitters pass, but in this case a lot of folks are looking to me for their entire Sunday Service. No pressure, right? Just have to chant and sing the service without the benefit of a choir, priest, or deacon. Easy peasy. Thankfully, no other participants means that an hour and a half service ends up running about 40 minutes. Then it is time for coffee, lunch, and a debriefing by the faithful, wherein all my mistakes are examined under a microscope to the amusement of all. :-D

So, easy that sounds, I'd still appreciate your prayer support while I act like a Nervous Nelly.

Otony

Our priest is out of town next Sunday.....

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Sunday, May 31, 2015, 19:25 (3404 days ago) @ Otony

I know your concern, I lead the worship service every Sunday and it's always a concern for me because we want the best for the Lord. We have to live with the mistakes we might make and the "faithful" are just having a little fun - it helps to laugh at yourself (knowing the Lord understands) so you don't take yourself too seriously. Prayer support gven.

You'll be fine Tony.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, June 01, 2015, 06:56 (3403 days ago) @ Otony

We'll keep our fingers crossed anyway.

Stay focused on the job at hand & know that

by Creeker @, Hardwoods, Monday, June 01, 2015, 09:24 (3403 days ago) @ Otony

Job inside & out. Seems to works for me. Doing a radio broadcast at 1PM today & will try to apply that advice to myself. Remember God will bless any effort you make on His behalf.

Yesterday...

by Paul ⌂, Monday, June 01, 2015, 17:59 (3403 days ago) @ Otony

I walked into the church we were visiting and was asked point blank by the preacher if I'd lead the singing as their song leader had left town for a couple of weeks. He texted me a list of the songs chosen, sans page numbers, and off we went. It is my firm belief that none were harmed by the process. The best part was I didn't have a week to get nervous about doing something I'm not used to doing, in a language that still feels a bit odd even after two weeks immersed in it. :-)

All that to say, you'll do fine. If I survived I'm sure you will too! :-D

Shucks, the week before, we were visiting a random congregation where they do a much more structured type of service than we're used to. The preacher asked me to read along with him in Spanish (as he read in English) as a celebration of the coming of the Holy Spirit at Pentecost. We survived that one too!

NOW I'm getting nervous about what might come our way NEXT week!

RSS Feed of thread