was down in montana last week, and went to yellowstone

by cable, Saturday, May 30, 2015, 22:45 (3405 days ago)

still quite cool at night and weather was changeable........including a nice hail storm late one evening.

this fellow was walking beside the road, and the hail, and the thunder put him in a bad mood....we stopped right beside him and he gave us the evil eye...like Robert Ruark said, he looked at us like we owed him money:

[image]

[image]

the thunder rolled when he was maybe 5 feet from the SUV window....he grunted tossed his horns at us and trotted closer.......we

moved right along !

Classic -- that second pic, is just as Mr. Roack observed.

by John Meeker, Sunday, May 31, 2015, 10:36 (3404 days ago) @ cable

x

Bufflers.

by JLF @, Sunday, May 31, 2015, 11:01 (3404 days ago) @ cable

Few people realize just how big those critters are until they get up close. At their peak, the northern and southern herds combined were estimated at somewhere around 10 million. There is no such thing as a "buffalo proof" fence, the buffs just have no interest in what's on the other side.:-D

JLF

I have heard there are more people injured by bisons at YS

by stonewalrus, Sunday, May 31, 2015, 12:02 (3404 days ago) @ cable

Than anything else.

that is correct. a 16 year girl from Taiwan was seriously

by cable, Sunday, May 31, 2015, 12:54 (3404 days ago) @ stonewalrus

injured a few days before we were there.

the little buffalo calves were right along side the road

by cable, Sunday, May 31, 2015, 13:16 (3404 days ago) @ cable

frolicking and chasing each other and irritating the [ already irritable ] big males:

[image]

none of us EVER irritated the elders i will bet :-D

East of Watson Lake on the Alcan

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Monday, June 01, 2015, 01:48 (3404 days ago) @ cable

There is a herd of Bison that I have seen on every trip through there. They were especially daunting in the dark as I was heading to Ft. Nelson and running way behind schedule. Very large when you realize you are zipping through their ranks at 60mph.

and when the steam from a geyser or spring covers the road

by cable, Monday, June 01, 2015, 09:58 (3403 days ago) @ Andrew

and you are traveling fast, it would be easy to hit a whole herd.......nearly did that once in the early 80s :-P

East of Watson Lake on the Alcan

by Cannon @, Monday, June 01, 2015, 16:47 (3403 days ago) @ Andrew

We saw those guys the last two days.

Big herd east of the hot springs,
[image]
[image]

and lots of bachelor bulls closer to Watson Lake.
[image]

Tatonka?

by Bob Hatfield @, Monday, June 01, 2015, 20:02 (3403 days ago) @ JLF

or is it Totanka?

we saw a video in a visitor center

by bj @, Monday, June 01, 2015, 22:17 (3403 days ago) @ cable

they were trying to tell people to keep clear of the Buffs. The video showed a tourist getting close to a big one and getting tossed 10' up in the air.

We talked to a guy in Cody who said they would go into the park in the winter on snowmobiles. He said one time they rode around a curve and there was a herd on the road in front of them. Nothing they could do but turn around and go back the other way.

Nice!!

by mcassill, Wednesday, June 03, 2015, 09:03 (3401 days ago) @ Cannon

Liard Hiot Springs at the S curve ran into a heard of 200

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, June 03, 2015, 11:09 (3401 days ago) @ cable

or so crossing the road. Noticed one calf dragging a broken leg... Very glad I could stop in time. It was pitch black out. Very cool to see them.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

RSS Feed of thread