Off topic - question at church: what advice would you give a

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, May 27, 2015, 22:01 (3408 days ago)

Recent high school graduate in one sentence? Any takers? Serious or funny welcome.

You aren't bulletproof and you can't leap tall buildings in a single bound...

Would depend on the graduate's interests

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Wednesday, May 27, 2015, 22:19 (3408 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Professional? Technical?

Or are we talking about life in general?

life skills

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, May 27, 2015, 22:36 (3408 days ago) @ Miles

Nm

life skills? life skills!

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Wednesday, May 27, 2015, 23:33 (3408 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Your reputation will precede you.

So.

Do what you say you'll do. Don't do what you've said you won't do.
Which can be said as:
If you make a promise, keep it.
And the other side of that:
If you don't know you can keep a promise, don't make it.

Ride for the brand. Which means: since you're getting paid, be loyal.
And give them their money's worth. If you have a doubt about it, do more, not less.
Doesn't mean you can't quit and go elsewhere, just when you're at one job, that's where your loyalty is.

And always remember, just because you do these things, it doesn't mean everyone else is too. Trust is built one brick on another, and that goes both ways.

life skills? life skills!

by jgt, Thursday, May 28, 2015, 08:48 (3407 days ago) @ Miles

The only thing you have is your word, all else can be taken from you. If you loose it, you are poor, no matter what your bank balance reads.

Excellent! My wife has student workers at the university

by stonewalrus, Thursday, May 28, 2015, 15:36 (3407 days ago) @ Miles

Where she works. She has seen a drop in work ethics and do what you say you will do.

That reputation will not serve them well

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Thursday, May 28, 2015, 16:56 (3407 days ago) @ stonewalrus

when I was stationed at Knox, we had one guy who's reputation, and my experience, was that he'd spend more time and exert more effort trying to figure out a way not to work than if he'd just do the job and go on from there.

As it's almost *unpossibal!* to fire someone in the civil service, all you can really do is hope they apply for another position and help to send them on their merry way.

He was two jobs past a return from Japan, from where he was trying to return since he had married and had family, and property, over there. (In the civil service, you will be returned to your point of origin stateside every so often.)

Seems he was never selected for any job he applied for. Later I heard he had finally just gave up, "retired" and moved back. His reputation had done him in, even though we gave him sterling referrals just to get him out of our hair. His former managers in Japan had no reason to 'gild the lily' and - I surmised - told his prospective managers what he was like.

one sentence is easy....

by passing by, Thursday, May 28, 2015, 05:51 (3407 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, all thy soul, and all thy strength, And the second commandment is like unto to the first, thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself, and this was meant quite LITERALLY and was no figure of speech

by Ersisk, always do the right thing, even when, Thursday, May 28, 2015, 08:13 (3407 days ago) @ stonewalrus

No one is looking.

by MR, Thursday, May 28, 2015, 08:18 (3407 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Attitude, Attitude, Attitude.

Lots of good advice already.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, May 28, 2015, 08:54 (3407 days ago) @ stonewalrus

What I might offer is to say, "Yes" to 'purt near any opportunity that appears. If someone is offering you a chance to do or try something (legal and ethical, of course), it tends to be because they believe in you. I know saying yes took me places and allowed me to do things I would have never guessed at.

It ain't one sentence, but...

by pokynojoe, Thursday, May 28, 2015, 10:56 (3407 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Here are some things I learned, in no particular order, mostly the hard way:

1. Be nice. No one likes a smartass(yea, I know, should listen to my own advice)
2. Try to live for a time in a place where you don’t speak the language and you don’t know anyone. It’s a big world out there, and this is the best way to appreciate that fact.
3. Don’t listen to people who tell you: “Money isn’t everything.” Even though it’s not, you will find that the people, who tell you this, invariably have plenty of it.
4. You can’t help everybody; but you can help somebody.
5. Do as much as you can, as fast as you can. Don’t be complacent. God didn’t put you here to do as little as possible; you only get one bite at the apple.
6. When the odds are stacked against you, and the chips are down, don’t be stupid, cash them in.
7. Unless you’re born with a silver spoon in your mouth, survival is easy; living is hard.
8. Don’t look back; it’s a waste of time; and you only get a finite quantity.
9. It’s easy to make enemies. It’s harder to make friends. Either can be expensive.
10. If you screw up; own up to it. The world is full of “Alibi Ike’s.”
11. Be humble; nobody likes a blowhard.
12. Lastly, DO SOMETHING!

What I say

by uncowboy, Thursday, May 28, 2015, 12:56 (3407 days ago) @ pokynojoe

VOTE How you vote matters. Don't be a follower Listen to all news and decide for yourself. ASK QUESTIONS be informed.
This comes from (9-11) the kids were old enough to understand death but worried because they felt scared. I told them this is why who you vote for is so important, We have a government and a military that will keep us safe as well as they are well guided. To this day they are still coming to me with questions about news stories and questions.

"There is only pain and hardship"

by Bob Hatfield @, Thursday, May 28, 2015, 17:34 (3407 days ago) @ stonewalrus
edited by Bob Hatfield, Thursday, May 28, 2015, 17:39

All your worth in this life is how well you will be remembered when you're gone.

Amen. I wouldn't be a very good life coach right now

by stonewalrus, Thursday, May 28, 2015, 19:32 (3407 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

I just got a voluntary buyout letter which is basically the governor's way of saying we would like for you to go find a job somewhere else. Hope to be able to hold out until I hit my 30 next year. Work hard and then get stabbed in the back. Lovely way to finish out a career.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that Tom.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, May 29, 2015, 08:09 (3406 days ago) @ stonewalrus

It seems to happen with increasing regularity these days. I hope things work out for the best for you.

keeping my fingers crossed that there are some that take

by stonewalrus, Friday, May 29, 2015, 21:31 (3406 days ago) @ Hoot

The voluntary buyout before it gets ugly. Major age discrimination - targeted folks 50 and above but looks like they will get by with it.

we have reached an age of scientific business principles...

by passing by, Sunday, May 31, 2015, 16:04 (3404 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Which means zero principles and survival of the fittest....workers giving their all because they know their employer will take care of them does not exist. Only accounting numbers matter and people do not work there, only disposable and interchangable "work units" and "6.25 man/hours". It is the natural progression of an irreligious world.

RSS Feed of thread