So, talk me into, or out of, a .22-250...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, May 15, 2015, 07:31 (3420 days ago)

I have a soft spot in my heart for Mausers and have been long fascinated by, but never owned, the "mini-Mausers" such as the Rem 799's, Chas. Daley's, etc. I currently have lust in my heart for a dark-stocked Zastava M85 in .22-250. They are a bit crude on the woodwork but what a neat package!

Not much of a varmint hunter (but willing to change) so, at least initially, it'd be a target shooting/plinking rig. The 1:14 twist seems to function best with up to 55gr projectiles...at least, according to the 'net commandos. That's fine as there are some on the shelf to feed the 'Triple Deuce'. Also, a feller could feed it some lighter fodder and go for speed but, again, a target won't much care if it's 3,000 or 4,000fps.

Any words of encouragement or disdain?

Thanks!

by Wildcat, Flint Hills of Kansas, Friday, May 15, 2015, 07:41 (3420 days ago) @ Hoot

Love mine. A short action Ruger 77 with standard weight barrel. Its all I used for 'yotes for years till I got bit by the black rifle bug. Very easy to load, hard to find anything that doesn't shoot well in it with proper bullets. 40-55 grainers are great. Heavier than that don't shoot as well. Get some H-380 and its all you'll ever need. Varget works great too.

by jgt, Friday, May 15, 2015, 08:37 (3420 days ago) @ Hoot

It is one of those rounds that is hard to beat. If I were so inclined to shoot centerfire 22, it would be my choice.

NO Way.......

by Gunner @, St Louis, Friday, May 15, 2015, 08:58 (3420 days ago) @ Hoot

Ok maybe : )

Nothing wrong with a 22-250 but how about a 22-243AI, very interesting cartridge, though most reports suggest it works best with heavier bullets, 70gr+. If you wanted to stay in the 50-55 gr bullet range the 22-250 might be your best option.

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

The 22-250 is one of

by uncowboy, Friday, May 15, 2015, 09:36 (3420 days ago) @ Gunner

The best rounds ever made. Don't hesitate a moment. You will be very happy with it.
J.Michael

I love my 22-250...

by Brian A, Friday, May 15, 2015, 09:42 (3420 days ago) @ Hoot

It is a Browning B-78 and is absolute death on varmints. I have never seen anything die so quickly as a coyote hit with that 45 gr pill. My rifle has gone over 2 dozen straight, one-shot, instant kills on 'yotes so far. They drop instantly and never even flinch, just like someone flipped off a light switch. Hit one trotting along at a neasured 260 yards and it just piled up on it's nose and never moved again. Mine definitely prefers bullets weighing less than 50 grains and I wish it had a faster twist to take advantage of heavier pills, but who can argue with success? I used the 40 round, value pack Winchesters with the 45 gr JHP and get complete pass through about half the time on 'yotes.

anything small enough up there to shoot with it?

by bj @, Friday, May 15, 2015, 20:58 (3420 days ago) @ Hoot

nm

The one with double set triggers?

by mcassill, Saturday, May 16, 2015, 16:07 (3419 days ago) @ Hoot

That one's just weird enough to be right at home in your collection.;-)
I also see one available in 7.62x39, which I suspect would make a dandy little deer and pig rifle.

Aww, crap. I'm getting that predictable?

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Saturday, May 16, 2015, 22:55 (3419 days ago) @ mcassill

Yeah, I'm a sucker for DST's all right. The .22-250 has held some interest for a while. Dad built one way back yonder. We nick-named it the "Crow Buster". It was on a '98 chassis which I feel is too massive for a "smaller" round. Sure worked though.

I have fondled a couple of the x39's at the local Cabela's. That'd be a right handy package all right.

And, you might suspect, there an ulterior motive in this. I need to find out how big the magazine can be opened up to.....it would be a lovely platform for a .35 Remington.

You just knew there was a 35 connection, didn't you? ;-)

We got 'yotes.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Saturday, May 16, 2015, 22:58 (3419 days ago) @ bj

And crows and maybe a couple other critters. Technically legal for deer due to a recent change but I don't know that I'd use it for such.

That's part of what stops me up short. What exactly will I use it for? Not that the answer is required but it does get a fella to wondering....

I friend bought a carbine in 7.62x39. The tang screw was

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Sunday, May 17, 2015, 11:20 (3418 days ago) @ Hoot

just a bit too long after he took it apart and put it back together and he had to grind a bit off the top but all is well now.

I like the .35 Rem but not so excited about it in a bolt gun. Just me...

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

RSS Feed of thread