1937 Smith

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Monday, April 27, 2015, 16:05 (3438 days ago)

Found this guy today and decided to give N-Frames anther try. It's a 1937 'brazilian' smith .45. Got a great deal on it but the reason why may be a big one. The Monekys at Century got more than a little heavy handed when putting their stamp on the bottom
Of the barrel. So much so that you can see a dent inside the bore! Anyone see a safety issue with shooting it? It'll probably be a cast bullet shooter, although I seem to remember that you have to run pretty hard bullets with the shallow rifling in these barrels. If it's an issue, it looks like I'll be making my short barreled big bore I've wanted for so long. Did some quick searching and I have had zero luck finding another barrel for it yet. I may just keep my eyes open for that option. Now, to see if I can find those few moon clips I know I had somewhere...

[image]

[image]

[image]

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

I will check and see what I can find for you.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, April 27, 2015, 17:47 (3438 days ago) @ Slow Hand

How's the action? Mine was SMOOOOTH!

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

1937 Smith

by Jared, Monday, April 27, 2015, 18:06 (3438 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I picked up a nice Nickled 1917 a while back. The barrel needs to be turned a little but it shoots jacketed quite well. Cast not so much. I even tried some cast hard sized .454 that were loaded for my 25-2 ( another that does much better with jacketed) with mediocre to fair results.

1937 Smith

by bj @, Monday, April 27, 2015, 19:22 (3438 days ago) @ Slow Hand

You could try pushing a lead bullet down the bore. If it is very hard to push past then shooting it might be a problem.

OKAy I located a 1955 Target barrel...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, April 27, 2015, 21:19 (3438 days ago) @ Slow Hand

would make a S&W Dobe Grant type gun

--

OKAy I located a 1955 Target barrel...

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Monday, April 27, 2015, 21:49 (3438 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

That could be cool. I'm pretty sure I have an old Micro adjustable dovetailed sight that was for a woodsman or something. Shoot me an email with some details, if you would.

Thanks,
Doug K
Slow_hand23@hotmail.oom

--

I'll speak to the owner again tomarrow.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, April 27, 2015, 23:25 (3438 days ago) @ Slow Hand

He has a couple barrels I will try and get prices pics in the next day or so.

--

1937 Smith

by Catoosa, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 08:54 (3437 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Cool old gun! The finish looks to be pretty good despite the battered stocks. Looks like some nice case color remaining on the hammer and trigger. Too bad about the barrel.

I have a 1917 that shoots nicely with jacketed bullets and not bad at all with plated, but it just ain't impressed at all with cast bullets of any kind. I expect you will have to replace that barrel, but it will likely be worth the effort.

BTW, mine doesn't seem to care whether I use clips or not. I use cheap 1911 magazines as speedloaders. Cases usually fall right out, but filing a little bevel on the front lip of the floorplate makes a good extractor for those that don't.

1937 Smith

by jgt, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 09:56 (3437 days ago) @ Slow Hand

The nineteen fifty-five barrel will not look good on the Brazilian. It has a rib on top that will not mate up with the slope on the front of the frame so there will be a noticeable gap that will look like k-rap eating a cracker. I would try lining the existing barrel or find an original barrel. Some of the re-bore guys may be able to clean your barrel up by cutting ever so slightly deeper grooves. You will like the results much better. Congratulations on your find. At least you have the gun for a project if it doesn't shoot with this barrel. Good luck.

You should try fire-lapping.

by Byron, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 11:18 (3437 days ago) @ Slow Hand

Fire-lapping to see if you could dress off the bulge. Soft lead bullets at bore diameter impregnated with lapping compound fired at air gun velocity will knock the high spots off remarkably quickly.

These bulges are common under sight dovetails or when the barrel is over tightened and squeezes down at the throat and lapping will correct it in a few shots.

Fire-lapping may solve your problem without any muss or fuss.

Byron

THAT is usefull information, right there...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 11:43 (3437 days ago) @ Catoosa

--

You should try fire-lapping.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 13:01 (3437 days ago) @ Byron

I kind of thought about that. Not sure if it would do enough to knock it down or if it did, it might be scary thin! Might give that a try first off.

--

Taurus made some spare barrels

by Charles, Tuesday, April 28, 2015, 13:56 (3437 days ago) @ Slow Hand

which were imported along with the handguns some years back. These barrels popped up for some years, but seem to be scarce now. I had a new one, but Ed Harris swapped me out of it a year ago.

Anyway, there are some spare Brazilian barrels out there somewhere.

1937 Smith

by Catoosa, Wednesday, April 29, 2015, 22:12 (3436 days ago) @ Slow Hand

If you do wind up trimming that barrel just ahead of the ejector rod lug, here's an idea: Some years back there was a dealer at some of the shows around here who had a 1917 that had been cut like that. It had a barrel-band front ramp slotted on the bottom to clear the lug and sweated on the barrel, filed down and with a dovetail cut for a big gold bead. That was one of the slickest and MEANEST looking guns I've ever seen. I tried to buy it but he wanted way more than I was able to pay.

RSS Feed of thread