as long as we are on AR's Colt HBar II trigger question.

by MR, Friday, April 24, 2015, 13:20 (3441 days ago)

I have two of them. They are both extremely accurate, and suit me as far as size, and accessories, other than the triggers.

Bill Springfield for about $60
or
Have the sear block ground out and a Timney for about $325?

I don't mind doing it right. Which ever way is right.

You may not have to grind out the sear block...

by mcassill, Friday, April 24, 2015, 13:56 (3441 days ago) @ MR

Here is Geissele's take on the subject.

http://geissele.com/colt-rifle-users-guide/

Thanks Mark!

by MR, Friday, April 24, 2015, 16:14 (3441 days ago) @ mcassill

#3 be me on both rifles.

No dice on Springfield

by BC, IA, Friday, April 24, 2015, 17:26 (3441 days ago) @ MR

I looked at his work and uncovered several horror stories about his grinding through hardened surfaces, leading to short lifespans of the "improved" triggers.

Geissle looks like the best bet, although there are no shortage of options.

Thank you.

by MR, Friday, April 24, 2015, 17:38 (3441 days ago) @ BC

If you're going to spend that much for triggers...

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Friday, April 24, 2015, 18:21 (3441 days ago) @ MR

a Geissele trigger of which ever flavor you prefer will be more than satisfactory.

I am very impressed with....

by rob @, Friday, April 24, 2015, 21:44 (3441 days ago) @ Miles

The Geissele SSA-E trigger I put in my lower. I want to say it's about 2.5 pounds first stage and maybe 1.5 second stage IIRC. Opposite your average AR trigger that has a lighter take up and a heavier second stage. Haven't fired it yet but dry firing was love at first pull. Hopefully we'll get to shoot it tomorrow. Simple 5 minute install if you read slow...no need for a modular unit at all.

when my guys brought in their personal ARs for work

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Friday, April 24, 2015, 23:33 (3441 days ago) @ rob

most of them went and bought SSA-Es.

I JUST BUGHT

by uncowboy, Saturday, April 25, 2015, 16:01 (3440 days ago) @ Miles

two Geissele's target triggers and they are beyond nice. I would recommend them. J.Michael

I find this very interesting.

by cas, Saturday, April 25, 2015, 16:32 (3440 days ago) @ uncowboy

I hear everybody talk them up.

I've tried two of them and was FAR from impressed (for the money). Maybe it was the versions that had..

interesting. Tell me more

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Saturday, April 25, 2015, 19:18 (3440 days ago) @ cas

always interested in discoveries

Can't really.

by cas, Saturday, April 25, 2015, 21:00 (3440 days ago) @ Miles
edited by cas, Saturday, April 25, 2015, 21:04

Since I don't know what models they were. I THINK one of them was a 3 gun model or something. I mean, they weren't BAD, but certainly not worthy of all the praise I read. Perhaps the other models/versions are better.

I also think they have a bit of a "fanboy" following, like a lot of products in that market. Some brands more than others. So if you get someone who's never used anything other than heavy crunchy factory parts, then they buy one of those, of course it's going to seem amazing to them and they're going to rave.

hard to say without more infoo

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Saturday, April 25, 2015, 23:18 (3440 days ago) @ cas

The triggers I'm most familiar with are the SSA, SSA-E and, of course, the SSF. Others? Only what I've seen demonstrated.

How much work do you want to do?

by bj @, Friday, April 24, 2015, 19:34 (3441 days ago) @ MR

Geisselle is very popular because they make a good 2-stage trigger for service rifle competition. I have a lot of experience with the Jewel which was one of the first 2-stage. It is a bit involved to install and set up but seems to last a long time after that. JP Enterprise used to be known for a good 1-stage trigger. All of these are "in pieces" meaning you have to assemble them in the gun. I've noticed other brands of self-contained triggers that you just drop in the one piece and put 2 pins through it, but they are more expensive. It seems that these days there are a lot of different good options.

I had a 3 pound Jewell in an AR-10

by MR, Friday, April 24, 2015, 20:09 (3441 days ago) @ bj

and had it professionally installed. It was great, although I think it was closer to a 3 gram trigger than a 3 oz.
If I can get a good trigger and get away from grinding out the sear block, I would choose that option. I've also got a DPMS that is mil spec regarding no sear block on which I may try a different option.

as long as we are on AR's Colt HBar II trigger question.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Sunday, April 26, 2015, 21:07 (3439 days ago) @ MR

I have lucked/traded into a Timney and a CMC. The Timney is installed in my Troy carbine and it is amazing. Nice, light, short reset. It has an AIMpoint on it so I can't say how it has helped accuracy (although it HAS to be better!) but the speed is amazing! Coupled with a SureFire brake, this carbine is wonderfully fast.

The CMC was installed in an M&P-10. It was pretty accurate and felt very nice as well. It is currently waiting to be installed in another AR so I'll have a better report in a few months (once the ATF gives me another SBR stamp)

Speaking of SBR's. My .300 blk has a boring factory (CMMG) trigger that I lightly polished and installed. Yellow JP Enterprises hammer spring. It feels pretty darned good for a whole lot less than a drop in unit. Might be an option to look into before dropping a bunch of money on a new trigger.

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

RSS Feed of thread