How about another AR question...free float vs. standard

by rob @, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 12:53 (3442 days ago)

I'd talk about sixguns and leverguns but I've got that pretty much down:) I'd like to free float my barrel but I'm not sure it's worth it. My carbine already shoots from slightly below MOA to slightly over with a decent selection of loads with MX193 usually going about 1.5-1.75". I don't like the bulky quad rails. I do kinda like the slim Midwest Industries rail. But, overall, I still can't get past the idea that the good old Milspec hand guard is simple, reliable and not exactly prone to variables like screws coming loose, etc. And, after all, if it shoots most hunting loads under an inch and 55 grain 5.56 under 2" at 100 yards, how much better do I need? I keep thinking I'd like to build an SPR upper but regardless, it's still pretty much a 300 yard rifle max. If I want that I'd just as soon grab my '06. So I'm leaning toward just popping a good Magpul MOE hand guard on it instead of a free float rail. If I do go with a free float rail it has to be tough. I don't want anything flimsy on a fighting rifle. Opinions?

by uncowboy, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 13:08 (3442 days ago) @ rob

If using a bipod or sling while shooting , I would go with free float. J.michael

^^^^^See Above^^^^^

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 13:21 (3442 days ago) @ uncowboy

unless you're working on a real tackdriver

With the standard setup, sling or bipod...

by mcassill, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 13:26 (3442 days ago) @ rob

Will cause your POI to shift. Maybe by a little, maybe by a lot. The better free-float setups are hell for stout; better yet you can get a monolithic upper with the forend and receiver done as one piece. Those will cost some coin though.

I replaced a free float with the magpul and saved a

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 13:32 (3442 days ago) @ mcassill

lot of weight for carry and quick use. No sling or such for shooting. Still have free float on other uppers.

For my son's Blackout I went with a simple...

by mcassill, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 13:58 (3442 days ago) @ Cherokee

free float tube from DPMS that threads onto the outside of the barrel nut. Light, simple and strong.

That's exactly what I want.

by rob @, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 14:00 (3442 days ago) @ mcassill

The ones secured by screws to the barrel nut...

by rob @, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 14:18 (3442 days ago) @ mcassill

Look flimsy to me. The ones that screw on the barrel nut look heck for stout. I'll do some looking and see what I come up with.

Is this the one...

by rob @, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 15:52 (3442 days ago) @ mcassill

If so, what else do I need to buy...new barrel nut, etc? I'm pretty sure a new gas block since mine has a rail on top and the lips for the factory hand guard.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/542759/dpms-free-float-tube-handguard-quad-rail-ar-15-...

No, much more basic than that

by mcassill, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 16:03 (3442 days ago) @ rob

Just tube, no rails.
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/1413269192/dpms-free-float-tube-handguard-ar-15-alumin...

All of them come complete with barrel nut.

If you want to attach stuff...

by mcassill, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 16:09 (3442 days ago) @ rob

the trendy setup now is keymod. Or, as previously mentioned, a monolithic upper.

Like this...

by mcassill, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 16:13 (3442 days ago) @ mcassill

I'm not sure I like the Keymod stuff...

by rob @, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 18:09 (3442 days ago) @ mcassill

I get the reasoning but there is absolutely no way that makes a stronger mounting surface than an integral rail. It looks hokey and cheap to me and they are priced way above the old school stuff. I like that plain tube you posted and the only downside would be determining where to mount a sling. I could go with a single point but I kinda like old school myself. Then again, I might like it if I try it.... I think I'm gonna go with one of these two you posted after I decide whether I want a quad rail or the plain tube. I'm not big on mounting stuff to my rifle except maybe a light for hunting and that could mount to the scope easily.

Just how much force are you applying to your light?

by mcassill, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 18:23 (3442 days ago) @ rob

Or other accessories? The SureFire mount I used over in the desert was PLASTIC.
Slings are a preference thing. The modern method is to have rifle slung across chest instead of back; either a single point (which I went with on the boy's rifle) or 2-point will get that done.

its not so much "how much force" as it is...

by rob @, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 18:34 (3442 days ago) @ mcassill

Stuff happens. I'm more concerned about a sling mount pulling out than I am my light. I'd prefer a two piece sling just so you can use it to shoot if a little extra stability is needed. And, like I say...I'm not a big fan of mounting stuff anyhow so I really don't need the Keymod or quad rail other than for a sling. I can mount a light to my scope tube...that's no problem.

by MDF99 @, SW Ohio, Friday, April 24, 2015, 10:04 (3441 days ago) @ rob

If your barrel has rifle length gas and you like the standard handguard (I do), check out the national match service rifle float tubes like Rock River or Compass Lake. Here's a Compass Lake float tube on my 20" highpower rifle. It's made of steel and is as stout as a float tube can be. Handguards and gas tube are CLE also.

[image]

THAT is really cool! Nm

by rob @, Friday, April 24, 2015, 19:55 (3441 days ago) @ MDF99

If you are using a sling to shoot with

by bj @, Friday, April 24, 2015, 19:43 (3441 days ago) @ rob

as in Highpower competition, then you need a free float handguard. The sling will change point of impact so unless your form is very consistent the float tube will eliminate that variable. They are trickier to install than the simple tube handguards because they have to index to keep the plastic pieces on straight and the sling swivel in the right place, and you have to get the length just right so the plastic pieces will fit properly.

The downside to all of this is that the sling swivels can break off the front of the float tubes.

It makes sense that a bipod would alter point of impact too but I don't know by how much.

RSS Feed of thread