Never, never, ever...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 06:43 (3443 days ago)

buy brass for a rifle you don't own.

I won an auction for a large bag of 8x68S brass on the cheap. The thought was it can be used to form .35 Newton should the supply of Newton brass ever dry up.

It arrived the other day and it is lovely brass (mostly RWS). Now, I'm Google-fooing the hang out of ballistics, dies, rifles, stories.

Hmmm, there's a spare 1914 action just sitting there in the pile....

Why, oh why, did I do this to myself?

I'll buy the brass from you if that will help...

by mcassill, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 07:03 (3443 days ago) @ Hoot

I've thought about building one too :-)

Surely this isn't the first time you've done this...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 07:07 (3443 days ago) @ Hoot

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Of course not!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 07:57 (3443 days ago) @ Hobie

:-D

Dies, brass, holsters, grips, rifle stocks...pretty much name it.

But, this was to be different. I had a 'non-8x68' use in mind but, once in hand, we took a detour.

Sweet Dreams are made of these.....

by John Meeker @, United States, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 16:42 (3443 days ago) @ Hoot

and Annie Lennox certainly covered that territory...howevwer, she was an amatuer by conparison to the truly dyed in the wool gun-crank.. I sare not even total the 'cost' against 'return', but hot-damn!!! It's has been great gun-fun, even at my modest level. Sail on, Hoot, to the further shores of exotic steel and walnut dreams

If a fellow could find a reamer...

by mcassill, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 17:05 (3443 days ago) @ Hoot

You could be the only guy on your block to own a .375 Hölderlin, which is CIP-certified as the 8x68 necked up.

Interesting.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, April 23, 2015, 10:23 (3442 days ago) @ mcassill

IF an 8x68 ends up here, I'd bet pretty heavily that'd be the only one of those on the block. ;-)

What is even worse is if you buy a MOULD for.....

by Harry O-1, Saturday, April 25, 2015, 09:19 (3440 days ago) @ Hoot

a gun you don't have. I found a 299155 mould fairly cheap a while back. It is for the .32 Long Colt. So far, I have spent about $1,000 for dies, cases, guns, etc. to use it.

But I knew this was going to happen when I bought the mould. This is exactly how I got started with the 41 Long Colt about 30 years ago.

RSS Feed of thread