Scam?

by Drago, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 11:55 (3444 days ago)

Scam?

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 15:06 (3444 days ago) @ Drago

I always understood the hard part is priming the case again, and I would think the rim demple from prior firing might be a problem. The site makes it sound like no problem, which I doubt. I will not be finding out...

Only if there's no product forthcoming...

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 15:14 (3444 days ago) @ Drago

Waaay back when I used to reload 22's with nothing more than slip joint pliers and a pocket knife. One could get up to three reloads from a shell (each firing pin strike at 90* from the next two) before ignition got erratic. We used the priming compound from CBC berdan primers. What sets his apart from what we did is that he's providing a way to cast appropriate sized slugs and a way to crimp them into place. Personally, I'd like a chance to play with one of the kits and see what could be done with it. ::-D

I've seen this before and...

by rob @, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 18:29 (3444 days ago) @ Paul

I think it looks pretty interesting. I'd love to play with one a bit.

I've seen this before and...

by Paul ⌂, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 18:58 (3444 days ago) @ rob

You and me both. :) Some might ask "Why?"- which shows that they believe we'll always have access to ammo for our 22's. I've lived where it was difficult/borderline impossible to obtain. But with some creativity it's possible to come up with propellant and the availability of a cast lead slug and a crimping tool makes it theoretically possible to produce some decent or at least usable ammo in adverse situations. And even in "normal" conditions it can be fun to tinker with oddball stuff. It's a big step up from my old slipjoint pliers rig...

Fun to tinker with and...

by rob @, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 19:13 (3444 days ago) @ Paul

You never know when it might just power a .22 rifle giving you access to a better rifle and ammo;)

Yep, it'd be fun to play with all right.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 06:47 (3443 days ago) @ rob

I'd like to have one in hand to see how the crimp "pliers" works out. It should be scaleable for other heeled bullets. (480 Achilles anyone?)

Don't worry about that

by mcassill, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 07:11 (3443 days ago) @ Hoot

We found with the .505 Achilles that crimping is not necessary.

Why?

by Byron, Tuesday, April 21, 2015, 18:34 (3444 days ago) @ Drago

My thought process is unwaveringly linear and almost always falls back to the concept that the simplest solution to a problem is the best and that one should not live in a dumb place.

Growing up with the mantra of "buy it cheap and stack it deep" has resulted with no rimfire shortage around here, however replacing the current stock will be more expensive.

The going rate of .22 LR around here is around 10 to 15 cents a round which is a price point that is easy to match with either high quality 9mm or .38 reloads with cast bullets.

Guess what we shoot around here?

Again, the pipeline is full of fresh 5.56mm GI ball for around 35 cents a round.

Why spend your precious time reloading .22 rimfire when you have so many other options?

If one is tasked with the choice of reloading .22 rimfire or other options, the division seems clear to me.

FYI: My pump up .20 caliber Sheridan will do most of the jobs a .22 is assigned with no muss and no fuss.

Then again if local law limits access to ammunition, the only logical action is to move.

Byron

Exactly.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, April 22, 2015, 13:47 (3443 days ago) @ Byron

Why bother

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Scam? - Probably not but I would wait.

by Mark, Saturday, April 25, 2015, 06:54 (3440 days ago) @ Drago

The "How to" videos are 9 months old and the product is still in the pre-order stage. It sounds like this company is funding this product on the backs of the pre-order purchasers. I would wait until May or until they are readily available.
Mark

RSS Feed of thread