Any side-by-twice shotgun fans here? Spotted a goodie..

by John Meeker @, United States, Tuesday, March 31, 2015, 21:36 (3465 days ago)

Gander Mountain in Toledo store.

There is a pre-War German Twelve Ga. It has all the 'good stuff': small fine extensive engraving coverage, very nice well-figured SPG & splinter foreend wood, treble-locks up like a tank hatch, 28" or so clean bores w/ 2 3/4" chambers [it is quite likely that they were 2 5/8] However, the chamber and bbl's are in very high condition, and given the Krupp steel, I don't see the present chamber length to be a problem. I do mention it, because those sales kids are about stone ignorant on SxS niceties. "If you want it for short mag heavy duck loads, get a pump-gun w a 3 1/2 chamber and bang THAT around in the muck." was my educational comment, to the nice kid.

I have under-described it, because it has that subdued quality that becomes more apparetn as you handle it and work the action, etc. One thing is does have that it doesn't needn is a honking big Orange Pad -- classic for the post-war bringback crowd, but out of proportion/scale and hard as rock, now. It's not a tough job to pull the pad plugs and unscrew the pad. I'm 5'11' and it is waaay too long for me, so an appropriate pad in oder to return it to a more noramal LOP, should be an epic in cost.

It is 600.00.....and I did inquire about having it shipped, etc. If bought and leaves store you own it. However if initially defective in some manner, G.M. will honor and repair the defect. If you should have any questions, need proof marks, etc, perhaps a telephone visit could be arranged.

I have no need of another shotgun, but would have grabbed it few years back. Just a fine example of pre-War German gunsmithing.

Sure great price John....

by Bud, Wednesday, April 01, 2015, 11:04 (3464 days ago) @ John Meeker

I've been a sucker for fine SxS's most of my life. Have more than I need already, but it sure is hard passing up a find German side-by-side like that.

Sure great price John....

by John Meeker @, United States, Wednesday, April 01, 2015, 15:05 (3464 days ago) @ Bud

Indeed....the SxS market seems to have diminished a bit. I haven't been over to DoubleGunShop.com in a long time. Changing needs/wants, and market -- but still a place to go, when you need know. Be sure to exercise some of those SxS's this summer.

A few questions

by woody, Saturday, April 04, 2015, 07:26 (3461 days ago) @ John Meeker

Do you know if it is still available? Does it have a cheek piece for a righty?

RSS Feed of thread