375 Ruger

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Tuesday, March 31, 2015, 14:06 (3465 days ago)

[image]

The experimentation continues. Trying a different powder combination with my 350gr cast.

Dave, I've been reading every post ...

by pokynojoe, Tuesday, March 31, 2015, 19:01 (3465 days ago) @ Dave B

that you've made regarding this caliber, and I just wanted to say that I appreciate you taking the time to do so.
I've been saving for some time in order to acquire a rifle in this bore. I intended to acquire a nice 375 H&H, but they are pricey, and even scarcer in left hand configuration. Thus the interest in your rifle. It's my understanding that Ruger is now producing these in left handed version, and they are somewhat more affordable than the rifle I've had my eye on.
I have not seen anyone around here with one, so, again, I appreciate you sharing your findings.
I look forward to any further info you might share.

Joe

Happy I could be of service!

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Wednesday, April 01, 2015, 01:26 (3465 days ago) @ pokynojoe

I really enjoy this cartridge, and am happy reloading components are becoming more available. I have had my best success with RL 17, but I have tried IMR4007SSC with good success, as well as Ramshot Big Game, Varget, and 4350. Unfortunately the now discontinued Hornady 300gr RN bullets have been the most accurate combo I have tried, loaded with RL 17 it keeps groups less than an inch all day long. The Sierra 300gr Spitzer Boattail is almost as accurate with RL 17. I see another, lighter bullet mold in my future.

375 Ruger

by DiamondD, Wednesday, April 01, 2015, 01:18 (3465 days ago) @ Dave B

Dave that big honking .375 looks dead sexy with those lead bullets. Looking forward to hearing how they work for you.

I bought a .338 RCM a while back and have really been thinking about picking up a rifle in its parent cartridge.

375 Ruger

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Wednesday, April 01, 2015, 09:42 (3464 days ago) @ DiamondD
edited by Dave B, Wednesday, April 01, 2015, 10:43

In retrospect, I wish I had gone with a bullet weight closer to 300 grains, those bullets protrude too far into the powder chamber, and so I am forced to use fast powders to achieve any kind of accuracy. With these 350s, I can get to 1700-1800 fps before the accuracy really starts to fall off, which makes it a really powerful 38/55. When using the slower burning powders necessary to achieve the 2200fps I was initially shooting for, the bullets show significant yaw at 100 yards, not a keyhole, but definitely not a straight on impact. I attribute this to my alloy not being hard enough, I need to find a reasonably priced supply of antimony before I do any "high" velocity testing again. Loaded the way they are now, makes for any easy shooting, fun, and inexpensive way to get more trigger time, and anything hit with these bullets is going to know it was hit. Right now I am looking at an N.O.E. 275gr flat nose gas check mold that comes with hollow point pins for a 260gr HP bullet, m velocity goal would still be 2000-2200 fps, and with a much short bullet, I think it should be easy.

N.O.E Mold

One last thing

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Wednesday, April 01, 2015, 12:11 (3464 days ago) @ Dave B

I was just thinking this morning (a dangerous endeavor for me), that I am indeed a lucky man, I own a rifle, that when loaded to 17-1800 fps with these large cast bullets would be a great tree stand rifle in the woods back East, or sitting on a bear bait station in Alaska where the ranges are 75 yards and in, or loaded with a 300 grain bonded core bullet I could stalk big coastal brown bears, or African Cape Buffalo, loaded with the Sierra BT 300gr bullets, I have a rifle that can reach across a canyon to down an elk or mule deer. I love my 22-250,45/70, 30'06, and my 300 Win Mag, but this 375 has really opened my eyes towards versatility, and I am glad I didn't elect to go with the 416 Ruger.

RSS Feed of thread