Armscor's .45 ACP 230 grain FMJ Ammo

by Sarge, Tuesday, April 03, 2012, 09:37 (4565 days ago)

I recently received some of Armscor’s 230 grain, full metal jacket .45 ACP ammunition for testing & evaluation. It comes packaged 50 rounds to the blue, folded cardboard box and the bullet itself has a brass-colored jacket. Overall length is uniform and the crimp is firm.

[image]

Rock Island Armory is one of Armscor’s product lines and it seemed appropriate to test this ammunition in a pistol by the same maker. So I set up my old Chrony Beta Master, five feet in front of the 25 yard line and turned loose the first five shots. The numbers shake out like this:

High and low shots were 854 and 883 feet per second (fps) respectively. Average velocity from the five-inch barrel was 866 fps. The extreme spread of five shots was 27.44 fps with a standard deviation of 11.04. This is good, potent hardball ammo and the numbers indicate consistency in the loading process.

My portable range table has seen better days and it has a little wobble to it. I fired those first five shots with the gun rested over my poor old, powder-burnt range bag. All but one of them broke clean and I could tell the front sight was a little high when it went… so I’ll eat the flier that made the group 2 ¾ inches. The four I didn’t screw up went into barely an inch and a quarter … which is as good as this pistol has shot with anything. The only accuracy work I’ve done on it is to fit the stock, 0.003”-over bushing to the slide. Several other groups were essentially repeats of this performance; barely over an inch for the shots that I didn’t screw up.

[image]

Feeling brave, I fired five more rounds at the above target, again from 25 yards; but this time from the ‘Bullseye’ or ‘Duelist’ stance. Four of those rounds went into 3 inches, with my standard flier opening the group to about 5 inches.

[image]

This is accurate .45 ammo that made me bust my hump to ‘shoot up’ to it, from what is essentially a GI 1911A1. I would not be at all ashamed to shoot a match with it, whether it was action or bullseye. Wish I had a pallet of this stuff to further ‘evaluate’!

Armscor's .45 ACP 230 grain FMJ Ammo

by Bud, Tuesday, April 03, 2012, 09:59 (4565 days ago) @ Sarge

I really like the Rock Island's we have (2). All we do is shoot 'em and they seem to get better 'n better. I load 200 gr and 230 gr CB's

Bargain .45s

by Catoosa, Tuesday, April 03, 2012, 10:22 (4565 days ago) @ Bud

I checked out an American Tactical .45 at a LGS the other day, comparing it side-by-side with a Remington they also had. The AT was smoother, crisper, and much better finished up than the Remington, which cost nearly twice as much. The most noticeable difference was the trigger - the AT had a very nice trigger, no creep, barely detectable overtravel. The Remington's trigger felt like pulling a cat off a screen door.

Not meaning to badmouth anybody's product. These two may have been outliers from the QC curve, but I know which one I'd buy if I had gone into that shop to buy a .45.

I almost hate to admit it...

by Sarge, Tuesday, April 03, 2012, 19:24 (4565 days ago) @ Catoosa

but this nickel Rock has run and shot about as well as my late lamented 1945 Ithaca, which was sort of a Frankengun purportedly built by AMTU or one of their retired 'smiths. It had the works... 7 digit NM barrel, bushing, lowered frame rails, staked disconnector hole... had 1950's match gun written all over it. I believe if this Rock had a 0.200 crosspin it would hunker under 3" at 50 (five shots rested) and with an honest match barrel, it could be gotten well under THAT.

I almost hate to admit it...

by Bud, Wednesday, April 04, 2012, 09:01 (4564 days ago) @ Sarge

I can't do it, but my son can put a ragged hole on paper at 25 yds with both our Rocks. We did spend a bit of time working up accuracy loads for both 200 and 230 gr CB's. Nothing has been done to either Rock...except shoot dog feces out of 'em.

RSS Feed of thread