Ruger 77/357 experience

by Josh Maloley, Tuesday, March 10, 2015, 16:28 (3486 days ago)

Who's got one?

I handled one today, and liked it.

However the only loads I'm interested in in that caliber are going to be topped with a SWC.

I suspect that I'd be let down with the feeding of .38 and .357 SWC's.

Can anybody share their experiences with the feeding and accuracy of these trim little poppers?

Thanks. - Josh M.

Ruger 77/357 experience

by Otony, Tuesday, March 10, 2015, 20:59 (3486 days ago) @ Josh Maloley

I have a friend here here in town that has one. He thinks it is the cats pajamas, or whatever that saying is (cats meow?).

I know he is shooting mostly cast in it, Glenn gave him a few different varieties (shape, weight) to try. I will ask what he settled on.

Otony

Ruger 77/357 experience

by Glen, Wednesday, March 11, 2015, 16:35 (3485 days ago) @ Otony

Ben settled on a 200 grain RNFP cast bullet that I designed. He ran several Keith style SWCs through it, and as I recall they fed (and shot) just fine.

Ruger 77/357 experience

by uncowboy, Wednesday, March 11, 2015, 16:51 (3485 days ago) @ Glen

I shot one yesterday at the range . Club member had skinner sights on it and shooting swc cast it worked fine for the 9 shots I fired.

Ruger 77/357 experience

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, March 13, 2015, 04:06 (3484 days ago) @ Glen

That's encoiraging to hear. I kind of figured it would run best with 'standard' length and profile bullet designs.
Indiana is looking like we will be able to use more 'normal' high powered rifles of .243 and above for deer this fall. If so, I have a feeling there will be a bunch of pistol caliber carbines available on the cheap! I'm not getting rid of my Rossi .357 any time soon, but I will be keeping my eyes open for a Ruger bolt gun!

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

ULTIMATE Ruger 77/357 experience

by bob, Wednesday, March 11, 2015, 17:42 (3485 days ago) @ Josh Maloley

by John Meeker @, United States, Wednesday, March 11, 2015, 19:48 (3485 days ago) @ bob

have a 20" Marlin and Rossi 16 1'2" ---- they renewed my interest in the round, to the point I acquired - after decades - a revolver, too. That's what I'm mostly shooting now, with .38Spec plinker-rounds -- saving the full throttle for when "sumthin' jus' needs destroyin' days'.

Have always been a bolt guy, learning how to run one, on one of those Mossy-bolts Shotguns as a first gun. The little Ruger is calling my name, and I truly cannot think of anything more comfortable and handy config than the one in the article. Thanks for sharing it.

PS> That short SS Rossi is a about the handiest damn rifle-thing I've ever casually toted on a woods walk, Haven't killed anything with it yet, but the 'chucks will popping up and be hungry, soonest.

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Friday, March 13, 2015, 04:03 (3484 days ago) @ bob

I like that A LOT!!

Kinda makes a fella with an old lathe want to give the ATF another $200...

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

I have seen exactly one.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, March 13, 2015, 07:15 (3484 days ago) @ Josh Maloley

Figured, now that they're available, I'll pick one up one day. Have been kicking myself since. Glad to hear they are so versatile.

RSS Feed of thread