BJ Snow bowie and Les Baer 1911

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, March 09, 2015, 23:15 (3487 days ago)

[image]I cut off the dangly bits of the sheath and added a stud to it... carries inside the belt nicely now!

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Could you post a picture of what the stud looks like?

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, March 10, 2015, 05:30 (3487 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Won't that stud be hard on belts and pants?

It is simply a brass stud as used on flap holsters since

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, March 10, 2015, 10:28 (3487 days ago) @ stonewalrus

before the 1860 until the 1917 Half flap that I was issued in the early 1980s.
You can easily acquire them via Tandy Leather, and add them as one would add a rivet.
Really the big brass hard to find mushroom shaped head is a bit better, but not much...[image]

--

Picture of the stud:

by brionic @, Tuesday, March 10, 2015, 10:29 (3487 days ago) @ stonewalrus

[image]

Rimshot!

HAHAH!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, March 10, 2015, 11:26 (3487 days ago) @ brionic

Thank you, funny man...

--

by Catoosa, Tuesday, March 10, 2015, 09:59 (3487 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Rob, is that HP bevel on the slide the result of removing forward cocking serrations?

I despise FCS, and that looks like a good way to get rid of them.

Yes...and So do I! this was done from a S80 Commander

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, March 10, 2015, 10:23 (3487 days ago) @ Catoosa

And a Les Bear Lwt Frame, by a local smith... He passed away, I picked it up from his estate. it is a wonderful little 45. Most of you here all understand the quality of a bill Snow blade!

--

Watch yor fingers around that edge!

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Tuesday, March 10, 2015, 11:05 (3487 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

If that is from the same piece of Wootz that mine is, BJ can put an edge on that past wicked sharp.

Yep, EVERYtime someone grabs it they let their fingers

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, March 10, 2015, 11:27 (3487 days ago) @ Miles

stray to the top edge...wicked sharp top edge...

--

nobody is going to grab it trying to take it away from you

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, March 10, 2015, 11:49 (3487 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

And keep all his fingers.

That Commander does look slick

by Catoosa, Wednesday, March 11, 2015, 09:47 (3486 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I have an early '90's vintage M1991A1 Combat Commander with the old crappy finish and the billboard slide. It ain't much to look at, but it is a honey of a shooter and a great carry gun. The many of the folks on the Colt forum seem to think those early Series 80 guns, despite their looks, were some of the best made and most reliable guns Colt has made in recent years.

by uncowboy, Tuesday, March 10, 2015, 14:49 (3486 days ago) @ Catoosa

hate fcs that is how feelings get hurt.

Rob, what do you think is the practical maximum length

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, March 11, 2015, 08:48 (3486 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

For a knife blade carried like that?

I have been carrying this 11 inch blade for about 2 years

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, March 11, 2015, 09:33 (3486 days ago) @ stonewalrus

but I am 6 foot tall.... Mr. Bagwell takes many measurements when he builds a custom blade and takes one's stature and build into account.
If I were doing this again,from scratch, I would have to try out several different lengths to see what worked best for me.
Lynn Thompson is shorter than me but totes a Laredo Bowie, easily.
I mostly carry my Laredo Bowie, I will be toting BJ Snow's blade more now that I have fixed the sheath.

--

Are you sure that isn't a short sword?

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, March 11, 2015, 11:09 (3486 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I am mostly concerned about sitting down with the blade - I am pretty much desk bound. Firearms are prohibited at work but not knives and they max 4" blade length was removed last year.

I would be afraid if I ever had to use it in defense an 11"

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, March 11, 2015, 12:02 (3486 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Blade would be seen as me looking for a fight.

Rob, do you clank when you walk?

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, March 11, 2015, 14:31 (3485 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

:-D

Blade length...Bowies were outlawed in Alabama...because of

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, March 12, 2015, 11:40 (3485 days ago) @ stonewalrus

their effectiveness...Carry a 5 or 5" Smaller blade I'll bet BJ Snow has one ready to go. the Randal style blade fits that description, but the sheaths are NOT what you want for concealment.
this Peacekeeper II is a easy to conceal knife with excellent steel and a very practical IWB sheath. the clip is a little small at 1.5" n=but it clips to the top of a boot or the pants just fine.Very affordable, many folks I know that work in "a Non-permissive " environment, carry these.

--

RSS Feed of thread