Any recommendations for fire-forming a Hornet sized case?

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, March 06, 2015, 08:37 (3491 days ago)

I currently don't have any Cream O' Wheat but I can pick some up if that's the best route. I ended up with a rifle the seller thought was .22 Hornet. All indications are that it is really a 5.6x35R Vierling. Both it and the Hornet are descendants of the .22WCF. The Hornet, of course, uses .223/.224" bullets but the Vierling uses .222". It ought to make a very pleasant cast bullet shooter.

Anyway, I need to fire form some cases and am looking for suggestions. Would recommendations for the K-Hornet be appropriate?

Thank you!

by uncowboy, Friday, March 06, 2015, 09:46 (3491 days ago) @ Hoot

truthfully I would use cast bullets and tumble lube them a small charge of a fast burner and shoot targets at 25 yds while fire forming I have had really good shooting sessions doing this with 300 22 Jet cases made from 357 brass.

by WIL TERRY, Friday, March 06, 2015, 10:25 (3491 days ago) @ Hoot

I found early in my shooting career that oiling the case to be fire formed into something else works to beat the band. I do NOT remember EVER losing a single ACKIMP case in fireforming. Of course P.O. himself did all the chanbering on my ACKIMP rifles and he knoew how to CORRECTLY cut the chamber. He charged twelve dollars to do this work.

by Paul ⌂, Friday, March 06, 2015, 11:09 (3491 days ago) @ Hoot

Back in '06, if I remember correctly, one of the guys had a sweet little rifle in K-Hornet and an ammo can of Hornet ammo out at Raton. I gladly gave him a hand fireforming a bunch of them, shooting at silhouettes out around 90 meters or so. The load was a standard Hornet soft point bullet in a standard Hornet case with a regular charge of powder. The cases came out looking good, but the best part was shooting an accurate rifle with free ammo! :-D

Thanks guys!

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Saturday, March 07, 2015, 07:06 (3490 days ago) @ Hoot

I'll have to round up some appropriately sized bullets and give 'er a go.

RSS Feed of thread