Gunsite carbine lessons learned- Go light!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, April 01, 2012, 14:26 (4567 days ago)

Go lite! Everyone but the instructors,showed up in various vest, chest and LBE/MOLLE tier two type(belt suspender or vest with pouches Worn over pants and /gun) gear with 6-10 magazines.
Instructors carried 1 or two spare mags for their ARs
Many of the guys had tier two mounted holsters and wear unarmed with their gear off.
By the third day most have switched to belt carry for handgun and removed mag pouches.
By lunch the first day I had 2 single AR mag pouches. with a mag in the gun and pouch on the stock I had PLENTY. I will egt a couple more Surefire 60 rounders and the one I had worked great. P mags with windows are pretty darn handy and robust.
Guys with 5-80 pistol mags are reluctant to speed reload, letting their expensive mag hit the dirt.
The middle of the road, price wise worked better than some of the high end guns FN SCAR and HK both had issues My Rock River and other Colt DPMS LMT CMMG etc guns worked great Both Ruger SR15s needed copious amounts of oil on the bolt carrier to work.
Oily dirty guns will run dry guns will not.
more to come...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by Byron, Sunday, April 01, 2012, 15:47 (4567 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Thanks.....

Word is that in the real world the piston ARs get left behind by the gas guns....especially in cold weather....

[image]
[image]

This Colt AR15 was fired some 20,000 rounds without cleaning at a Pat Rogers class....just kept in wet with Mobil 1....took a licking and kept on ticking...

Byron

I just purchased my first AR after 20 years, Does

by Gary G, Sunday, April 01, 2012, 20:17 (4567 days ago) @ Byron

mobile one dry out like regular oil in the Gas Impin. guns?

Keep your carbine running.......

by Byron, Monday, April 02, 2012, 08:10 (4566 days ago) @ Gary G

Everything you need to know....

http://www.ar15.com/content/swat/keepitrunning.pdf

Byron

Thank You Byron

by Gary G, Monday, April 02, 2012, 20:08 (4566 days ago) @ Byron

Yes, thank you...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, April 03, 2012, 19:25 (4565 days ago) @ Byron

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, April 04, 2012, 04:32 (4564 days ago) @ Byron

I'm nowhere near that, but my .300 BLK has close to 2000 rounds, all suppressed and some with cast bullets (yes; cast on an AR!) and it smoothly cycles any ammo from 125's to 225's. Just working the action sounds so much smoother than my nice clean .223!

My 'go to'rig is a simple chest rig

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, April 04, 2012, 04:43 (4564 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

It's got four rifle mag pouches and four pistol pouches on front I keep an old 1911 in the right rifle mag pouch. That way I've got 90 rounds of .223 (plus the 30in the rifle) and 40 rounds of .45 acp easily grabbed. I can throw it on in a couple of seconds no matter what clothes I have on. Also have a fixed blade knife and a sure fire G2 in there. I consider this my SHTF short term rig. Light and simple set up for immediate survival; not long term survival

yep, I'll hang onto this for just that purpose.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, April 04, 2012, 11:23 (4564 days ago) @ Slow Hand

I think the idea has merit.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

RSS Feed of thread