Ballistic deicing

by Catoosa, Monday, February 16, 2015, 15:42 (3508 days ago)

Freezing rain this morning. By early afternoon, about 3/8 inch all over everything - buildings, wires, trees, etc. A cedar tree top was hanging rather precariously over the power line to the house, and I was becoming a bit concerned about it breaking and taking down the line.

Deiced said tree very effectively with several dove loads from my old Ithaca 12 gauge. Problem solved, at least for now.

Ballistic deicing

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Monday, February 16, 2015, 16:10 (3508 days ago) @ Catoosa

Good move,ya do what ya can...

Ballistic deicing

by stonecoldrc, Monday, February 16, 2015, 17:03 (3508 days ago) @ Catoosa

Are you in Arkansas? Plenty of ice here in Pencil Bluff, but no power in the whole county since last night. Stay warm. Good idea on the shotgun deicer.

Ballistic deicing

by Catoosa, Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 09:25 (3508 days ago) @ stonecoldrc

Middle Tennessee, east of Nashville. We were about to have some real trouble here yesterday afternoon, but the freezing rain changed over to snow just in time.

Traffic around Nashville is in a mell of a hess this morning anyway - wrecked and jackknifed semis all over the interstates.

Have some family traversing the course from lower

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 13:02 (3508 days ago) @ Catoosa

Alabama to Virginia, any perceived or serious traffic interruptions forecast for Thursday?

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Have some family traversing the course from lower

by Catoosa, Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 21:44 (3507 days ago) @ Hobie

Hobie, the interstate highways in middle and east Tennessee are a mess right now. More snow and frigid temps are forecast for now until the weekend. I presume your folks are planning to take I-59 to Chattanooga, I-75 to Knoxville, and I-81 on up to Virginia. Those highways generally follow valleys that trend southwest to northeast, with a limited amount of high terrain to traverse. That should help, but it really depends on how much more precipitation we get between now and then. With the temps that are predicted, it will all be frozen no doubt.

Best advice I can pass on would be to check with the TN Highway Patrol [Star/THP (*847) on a cell phone] when they get into Chattanooga and try to get a report of highway conditions up through east Tennessee.

I'll keep a check on conditions and give you updates.

Catoosa

Ballistic deicing

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Wednesday, February 18, 2015, 08:58 (3507 days ago) @ stonecoldrc

We got lucky here in Hot Springs Village, this time. We got lots of ice, but it fell in the form of sleet and didn't stick on the trees. No power outages at all so far (knock on wood). We did get another inch or so of snow last night but it ought to be gone soon.

Looks like Little Rock is still a mess.

I have wished I could blast a tree limb or two

by stonewalrus, Monday, February 16, 2015, 17:17 (3508 days ago) @ Catoosa

But they would seriously frown on it in my subdivision.

Not particularly approved at the airport either.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, February 16, 2015, 20:28 (3508 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Just sayin'.

Not particularly approved at the airport either.

by Catoosa, Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 09:48 (3508 days ago) @ Hoot

You're right. Number 8 shot not good for windshields and leading edges....

we used to harvest mistletoe that way as kids.

by cable, Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 19:34 (3507 days ago) @ Catoosa

;-)

Us too!

by Catoosa, Tuesday, February 17, 2015, 21:47 (3507 days ago) @ cable

nm

Yep!

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, February 18, 2015, 07:48 (3507 days ago) @ cable

Well, I got to watch anyway.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

RSS Feed of thread