On the horns of a "semi-dilemma"...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, February 16, 2015, 10:58 (3509 days ago)

Some time ago, I picked up a lovely piece of wood for a '98 Krag with the thought of building a classic sporter. Time passes and a suitable un-tampered with rifle gets added to the mix (e.g., no hole filled receiver). This particular rifle is cosmetically challenged to the point that all metal will need to be refinished no matter which way this turns out. My 'dilemma' is that, with correct military wood, it becomes a complete, correct rifle...although refinished. If one proceeds with the sporter plan, he would be either cutting the barrel (a shame for the mil-surp crowd) or building a sporting rifle with the original 30" tube.

I acknowledge that the 20-24" barrel with roughly half that length of forearm is an American convention but have seen some English rifles with long barrels. My tastes run towards English/European rifles from the early 1900's. Still, I wonder if 30" becomes way too long.

Any comments or opinions are appreciated.

Thanks!

by Josh Maloley, Monday, February 16, 2015, 11:46 (3509 days ago) @ Hoot

Buy more Krags.

by Paul ⌂, Monday, February 16, 2015, 12:21 (3509 days ago) @ Hoot

Yeah, what Josh said. :-D

Seriously, though, there's something "classic" about a long barreled sporter, shades of the Winchester 67 single shot 22. I've got a "sporterized" 96 Mauser that has the original long tube and really like the look of it.

Since you have to refinish it anyway

by cubrock, Monday, February 16, 2015, 14:31 (3508 days ago) @ Hoot

you are ruining its value as a collector's piece, which frees you to do whatever you want. Cut the barrel if you want and don't feel guilty. Leave the barrel long if that floats your boat. You can't lose either way.

I suspect stock design will influence

by BC, Still at grandma's, Monday, February 16, 2015, 14:48 (3508 days ago) @ Hoot

the handling as much as barrel length, if not more so.

Either way, there must be a sweetspot. Depending on your choice of stock maker, it might be neat to stock it a bit longer and slender-er up front to match a longer barrel. Just to confound the discussion :-P

The full-length schnabel forend on my carbine is a hoot, so to say.

Look to the Pukka Sahib 'small-bore' African rifles ......

by John Meeker @, United States, Monday, February 16, 2015, 15:36 (3508 days ago) @ Hoot

long bbls were quite normal in the'magazine rifle' Victorian era/ There's quite a few examples of the corresponding Classic stock styles. choose yjr frop and lop -- fit like a fast=mounting shotgun with the eye lining up naturally along the sights. Sights are all over the palce in style, from a classic folding bbl-vernier with with a big notch when folded, too three leaf arrangements, or even a variety of early peep. Same with front. Hooded, beaded, folding blades of different heights....etc IRRC there are some books on the suvject of the sights. Try the classic rifle sub-forum over on Double gun shop.com Happy Hunting

refinished items are not in demand as collectors

by bj @, Monday, February 16, 2015, 19:43 (3508 days ago) @ Hoot

If you refinish it, it will never be worth that much as a collector, unless you value it yourself. So you should not worry so much about converting a collector to a sporter.

If you are not anxious to do the conversion right away, you could keep searching for a more appropriate candidate to start with.

Thanks Gentlemen.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, February 16, 2015, 20:40 (3508 days ago) @ Hoot

I knew collector value was out the window with a refinish. The metal is far enough gone (we'll find out just how far soon) that even with a vintage stock, it'd still not be very collectable. I think I will build with the barrel uncut for now. I can always whack a few inches off both the barrel and forearm at some later date. Thinking slender and straight with an open grip. I have a vintage 'no drill' peep and the 36" or so sight radius sounds appealing...for now. As Brian says, the proof will be in the handling. This project is still a ways off as my stock making skills need to sharpen a bit before I take on nice wood. Currently practicing with a Mauser and a Boyd's stock.

And, John, "Pukka Sahib" was my very thought. Although likely no folding leaves.....maybe? ;-)

RSS Feed of thread