BATF working on banning M855 223 ammo

by stonewalrus, Saturday, February 14, 2015, 10:39 (3510 days ago)
edited by stonewalrus, Saturday, February 14, 2015, 11:08

Saw a post from the NRA on this - BATF is calling it armor piercing pistol ammo since there are now 223 pistols.

It was always considered AP, but ATF exempted it

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Saturday, February 14, 2015, 16:26 (3510 days ago) @ stonewalrus
edited by Miles, Saturday, February 14, 2015, 17:45

due to 'Sporting Purposes'.

They want to re-regulate it and delete it's sporting use exemption.

The are accepting comments on the proposed rule until the middle of March.

I think it's partly due to Da Won not wanting all the M855 ammo at best, or just demiled bullets, at worst, that's being replaced with M855A1 to hit the surplus market.

Of course, the also means that M855A1 will be classed as AP and we'll never see it on the market as well.

We may have Uncle over a barrel on this one. The bullet does NOT meet the statuary definition of an AP bullet because of it's lead core.

The next 23 months are going to be more interesting than we can possibly imagine.

Old Chinese curses work.

BATF working on banning M855 223 ammo

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Saturday, February 14, 2015, 18:26 (3510 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Who is "Da Won" ? Who gets to provide comments on the proposed rule change ?

'Da Won' ? Hez Da Won! Da Only! Messiah to hiz peoplez!

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Saturday, February 14, 2015, 21:04 (3510 days ago) @ Cherokee

Obumma hisself!

“Framework for Determining Whether Certain Projectiles are ‘Primarily Intended for Sporting Purposes’ Within the Meaning of 18 U.S.C. 921(a)(17)(c)”,

Here's the method for comments from the horse's a......mouth.

How to comment – from the BATFE

ATF will carefully consider all comments, as appropriate, received on or before March 16, 2015, and will give comments received after that date the same consideration if it is practical to do so, but assurance of consideration cannot be given except as to comments received on or before March 16, 2015. ATF will not acknowledge receipt of comments. Submit comments in any of three ways (but do not submit the same comments multiple times or by more than one method):

ATF email: APAComments@atf.gov

Fax: (202) 648-9741.

Mail: Denise Brown, Mailstop 6N-602, Office of Regulatory Affairs, Enforcement Programs and Services, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, 99 New York Avenue, NE, Washington, DC 20226: ATTN: AP Ammo Comments.

FOR FURTHER INFORMATION CONTACT: Denise Brown, Enforcement Programs and Services, Office of Regulatory Affairs, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives, U.S. Department of Justice, 99 New York Avenue, NE, Washington, DC 20226; telephone: (202) 648-7070.

I would add what one bloggers has posted on her board, and I agree with:

However, please do not bother to comment if you cannot express your thoughts clearly and in a well-reasoned, somewhat spell-checked fashion. "OBMA MUSLIM FUKKR MOLAN LEBE! Come n get em! SHALL NOT BE ENFRINGED, MF'ER!" is unlikely to impress (or scare) anybody.

As the great Jewish bandito warrior poet spoke from his bathtub, "When it's time to shoot, shoot; don't talk." The corollary to that is "When it's time to talk, talk; don't shoot your mouth off."

Thanks, who I thunk - I will give comments some thought

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Saturday, February 14, 2015, 21:56 (3510 days ago) @ Miles

nm

:-) Well said...ALL of it!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, February 14, 2015, 22:22 (3510 days ago) @ Miles

We need to contact our local Representatives that call themselves "Law Makers" and insist that they make a law to ban the feds from paying GIs & contractors to destroy the people's property. It needs to be sold as surplus.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

And while contacting those representatives...

by Brian A, Sunday, February 15, 2015, 08:18 (3510 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

We need to impress on them the need to remove the language 'for sporting purposes' from any consideration regarding arms and ammunition. This is clearly Unconstitutional and flies in the face of every Supreme Court decision regarding the 2nd Amendment, since they all refer to the people's right to possess arms in common use by the military.

the great Jewish bandito warrior poet, indeed!

by B.C., L.A., Sunday, February 15, 2015, 16:33 (3509 days ago) @ Miles

The expanded version of that flick includes "lost" footage, which, 40 years later, has been edited into the original US theatrical version. Cool enough, but not essential to that iconic film and possibly/probably better left on the cutting room floor where il maestro dropped it.

Either way, principal dialogue was revoiced by Eastwood and Wallach, Van Cleef having already perished. Neither is a great match for their earlier selves, forty plus years later.

Wallach, however, is particularly endearing as a 90 year old prewar Brooklyn version of his earlier salty wandering vato philosopher anti-hero. Nostalgia and criticism aside, he still had his chops. Matching audio lines to video "lip flap" is extremely challenging for any actor, let alone a nonagenarian. His read sounds joyous and comedic, and, ultimately, elderly.

It's worth checking out if you haven't seen the restored version.

Next: Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia!

RSS Feed of thread