Dogs’ lives are too short. Their only fault, really.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Saturday, March 31, 2012, 17:11 (4568 days ago)

Cooper the wonder dog: 1998 2012 he was in our lives for 10 years. He was a fine, loyal, wonderful dog. He developed larangial paralasis:he was suffering but stoic, his tail wagging as I petted him...[image]

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by John Meeker @, Saturday, March 31, 2012, 17:44 (4568 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Rob,

The humans' ends are, in the main, some ways easier for me, than the passing of our canine companions. For us, there is the buoyancy of belief to help buffer the grief and the pain. So, for our four-foots, I have vowed the same: they are with us and we with them: damn the Theology. It is a love and connection that physical Death may sever, but our hearts are inseparable. Lord love them, and ease our all too human loss.

by AkRay, Saturday, March 31, 2012, 18:06 (4568 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

By the looks of him he was a great dog, Rob. Not many, especially kids, much less dogs, can eat on the carpet without making a mess. I'm sorry that this part of your family is gone.

I have said it before, there can be no heaven without dogs..

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, March 31, 2012, 19:47 (4568 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I look forward to seeing my erstwhile companions in the sweet by and by and I hope you do as well.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by Jared, Saturday, March 31, 2012, 20:44 (4568 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Sorry for you loss. You really can get attached to them.

it was told once to me that

by Lloyd Smale, Sunday, April 01, 2012, 10:00 (4567 days ago) @ Jared

God issue both man and dogs the same amount of love to give out that has to last a lifetime. Dogs lives are shorter because they dont hold back there love.

I am so sorry Rob, truly. they are our true friends

by cable @, Saturday, March 31, 2012, 21:03 (4568 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

among our best friends ever.

Rob, one of the Pearls of Wisdom that my father shared....

by Glen, Saturday, March 31, 2012, 21:19 (4568 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

...was that every pet's story ended the same way. This is the burden that we take on when we take them into our lives. We live for 70-80 years, they live for 10. By definition, we accept that we will watch them age and die. For this, we get years of unquestioning love, loyalty, and affection (well, unless we are talking about cats....in which case they barely tolerate our existance...). We keep 3 dogs at all times because I love dogs. I know that I will watch them all die. I am as sentimental as anybody (and I get VERY sentimental when my dogs die). It hurts when they die becuase of the emotion that we invest in them (and them in us) during their lives. As Will Rogers said, "If they don't allow dogs in Heaven, I want to go wherever they went." When it is my time to go to, I will have one heckuva large Welcoming Committee waiting for me, and my two-legged friends are simply going to have to sit back and wait until my four-legged friends are finished saying "We missed you." because my dogs are all very special to me.

Sorry to hear this Rob

by Jhenry, Saturday, March 31, 2012, 21:35 (4568 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I do in fact fully believe dogs are in Heaven, not because dogs have souls like we do, but because WE have souls like we do. We love our dogs and are happy to be with them. Folks have no problem imagining Heaven with trout, deer, and turkeys which I agree with, so why not dogs. It will be wonderful to meet all of my friends and family that have preceded me upon my eventual passing, and just as nice to have all of my dogs run up wagging and happy.

Rob, This poem was given to

by JohnB @, Saturday, March 31, 2012, 22:41 (4568 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

my mother when the first of her two dogs developed cancer at the age of 17. Sorry for your loss.

A Dog’s Plea
Treat me kindly, my beloved friend, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for although I should lick your hand between blows, your patience and understanding will quickly teach me the things you would have me learn.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world’s sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps falls upon my waiting ear.

Please take me inside when it is cold and wet, for I am a domesticated animal, no longer accustomed to bitter elements. I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst.

Feed me clean food that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life, should your life be in danger.

And, my friend, when I am very old, and I no longer enjoy good health, hearing and sight, do not make heroic efforts to keep me going. I am not having any fun. Please see that my trusting life is taken gently. I shall leave this earth knowing with the last breath I draw that my fate was always safest in your hands.

Author Unknown

Ah, shoot. I'm sorry about this, Rob. He looks

by brionic @, Sunday, April 01, 2012, 00:36 (4568 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

like a fine pooch, and from the look in his eyes it seems he knew how happy everyone was to be with him.

Ah, shoot. I'm sorry about this, Rob. He looks

by Frank S, Sunday, April 01, 2012, 06:47 (4567 days ago) @ brionic

Rob,
My friend, I know how it feels....sorry for you loss.

So sorry Rob, it never gets easier to lose a best friend...

by Brian A, Sunday, April 01, 2012, 09:19 (4567 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Like everyone else has said, I look forward to reuniting with my pack in the next life and take joy in that thought, hopefully you can also.

Heartfelt condolences, amigo. (n/t)

by JLF @, Sunday, April 01, 2012, 10:55 (4567 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

We are sorry for your loss, Rob. We still miss Max :(

by Sarge, Sunday, April 01, 2012, 20:51 (4567 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

nm

Oh Rob. I am so sorry.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, April 02, 2012, 08:18 (4566 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Cooper was a "Dog's dog". One of the best I've met for the short time I knew him.

Condolences

by Drago, Monday, April 02, 2012, 08:51 (4566 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Sorry to hear this Rob. My sympathies to you and your family.

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Monday, April 02, 2012, 17:19 (4566 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Very sorry. So sad since they are so innocent.

Regards
Art

RSS Feed of thread