We are Sia-mee-uz if you plee-uz...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 08:30 (3527 days ago)

If you've been Jonesing for .45-70 Mauser, here's a pretty reasonable entry-level one => http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=464774439

("Reasonable" compared to others so converted, anyway.)

A Boyd's stock and a quick trip to Al's Bluing Shoppe and a feller would have a thumper. Or, just leave it as is and shoot the stuffing out of it.

I have no connections to this (and already have a Siamese) but ran into it while goofing off.

AT ANY other point in the last few years... I have wanted a

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 09:26 (3527 days ago) @ Hoot

Siamese Mauser for years. Looked all over when I lived in AK. They get held onto and passed down... As I have related the first cartridges I reloaded for were 45=70s for the boss's Siamese Mauser that he converted and stocked...I did a lot of steel wool on the stock too. My first job, no pay...just to hang out in a gun shop. It turned out to be a gorgeous elk rifle for him...He moved to Rifle Colorado shortly after that... I wonder why Ruger Doesn't make a 45-70 Bolt Gun???

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by Frank S, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 12:30 (3526 days ago) @ Hoot

I have a couple / 300 spritzer bullets, in the 420/430 gr, some with gas checks .459 Diameter I will make a good deal for someone if they end up with this Mauser.

At one point in time, I had 3 Siameeesesess

by Andrew @, Bloomington, IN, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 18:29 (3526 days ago) @ Hoot

One was a ratttly Navy Arms 45-70, a bone stock 8mm original, and a 450 Alaskan I bought from Bryan Pettet. The 450 was fun, but the 17 inch barrel didn't make good use of the extra powder capacity of the 450 case. I'd buy another 45-70 in a blink.

Siamese Triplets?

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, January 29, 2015, 20:12 (3526 days ago) @ Andrew

;-)

--

by Catoosa, Friday, January 30, 2015, 09:37 (3526 days ago) @ Hoot

Slightly OT but semi-related - does anyone know what the four-interlocked-circle marking on the left side of the receiver means? My mid-1930s vintage 6.5 Arisaka has the same marking, and I have wondered about it ever since I've had the rifle.

Someone once told me it denoted the type of rifling in the bore, but I'm not sure I believe that. Seems like any such marking would be on the barrel rather than the receiver.

That is the arsenal mark.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, January 30, 2015, 10:05 (3526 days ago) @ Catoosa
edited by Hoot, Monday, February 02, 2015, 16:00

The Koishikawa Arsenal in Japan made both the Arisaka's and Siamese Mausers. It is referred to as 'stacked cannonballs'.

Edited to correct the arsenal name.

I was thinking of you when I found it Rob.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, January 30, 2015, 10:11 (3526 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I'll bring mine to Clarksville this spring for you to 'rekindle an old flame'. It's a heavy beast---pretty sure I wouldn't want to haul it up and down mountains looking for elk.

Good! I'll bring my Enfield in .375WBY...It is a club

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, February 02, 2015, 17:35 (3522 days ago) @ Hoot

but it is SO easy to hit with...maybe we can chop a tree down, again;-)

--

RSS Feed of thread