Shoot the .17 HMR? Favorite load?

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, January 27, 2015, 23:00 (3528 days ago)

I bought a barrel for the Contender (21") so now I have 22 barrels and no idea which .17 HMR load to start with. When I find a good one I'll probably buy a case and call it good.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Shoot the .17 HMR? Favorite load?

by Bob Hatfield @, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 04:42 (3528 days ago) @ Hobie

Tried all of them 5 years ago in my Marlin 17. The original Hornady with the red tipped 17 grain bullet was the most accurate. I shot a bottle of Coca Cola at a laser ranged 250 yards once. THe bottle shot up in the air about a foot and fell back down on its base still standing. The energy fell off so much that it poked a bb sized hole in the front and out the back after penetrating the soda pop. It was a very calm day an took several shots to figure the holdover.

I had to hold about 2 feet over it too. But out to a hundred yards or so it is absolutely deadly and destructive on any small game.

The 20 grain hollow points designed for larger game was not as accurate but then again your shooting at larger game.

I've read that CCI makes all of the ammo for all ammo companies with the other companies headstamps. Don't know if it is true.

Bob

Thanks Bob!

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 07:18 (3528 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

+1 on the 17 grain Hornady load

by JD, Western Washington, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 15:10 (3527 days ago) @ Hobie

It shoots the best out of my Anschutz and seems more consistant than the other loads that I have tried.....

Thanks!

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, January 28, 2015, 19:43 (3527 days ago) @ JD

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

RSS Feed of thread