Run on 44 magnum ammo and components??

by stonewalrus, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 06:04 (3541 days ago)

My son is buying a Ruger Redhawk from an enabler on this board. He went looking locally for ammo and I have been looking for him online for ammo and components. It seems to have all dried up. Has there been a run on ammo again? Seems odd that it would hit 44 and 357 but not so much the auto calibers.

I was not aware of any such run. It isn't really that time

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 07:31 (3541 days ago) @ stonewalrus

of year for such a run.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by Frank S, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 07:36 (3541 days ago) @ Hobie

I have a small amount of 44 spcl / 44 mag brass....Range brass picked up inadvertently.
Your welcome to it....LMK

by jgt, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 10:31 (3541 days ago) @ Hobie

It is probably just due to hunting season. Those are calibers used for hunting in many states. With the populous still trying to recover from the panic it would be easy to empty the shelves for hunting supplies.

by Paul ⌂, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 08:36 (3541 days ago) @ stonewalrus

You made me look. Brass seems to be non-existent online (after checking an entire two suppliers) but bullets are available in lead, jacketed and copper plated. I need to pick some up for the 44 Spl as I hope to do some shooting this summer. Wish I had time to do some casting but that's not in the cards this year, I believe. Good luck finding the brass. How is the primer and powder situation out your way?

Fortunately I have primers and powder, haven't checked on

by stonewalrus, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 09:54 (3541 days ago) @ Paul

Bullets yet.

I wioll assemble a care package for the young waif

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 09:28 (3541 days ago) @ stonewalrus

;-)

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Hunting seasons are just finishing up...

by Brian A, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 10:24 (3541 days ago) @ stonewalrus

In addition to the normal demand for those cartridges, at least here in MI there was a rule change which allowed the use of pistol caliber rifles to be used in what had formerly been the 'shotgun' zone. It really caused a run on 357 and 44 at least here.

We had plenty on the shelves, I didn't sell much this year.

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 11:20 (3541 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Must be a regional thing.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

by StoneWolf, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 12:41 (3540 days ago) @ stonewalrus

To me it wasn't that there was a run there is not even shelf space for either 357 (other than a box of self defense loads) or 44 in either spl or mag in the 15+ stores I've checked. But the more oddball calibers (i.e. 221 fireball) have dedicated shelf space in multiple bullet weights and brands which doesn't make sense, even 10mm was there along with makarov, 357 sig and 38super in some stores. To me it was just strange to see nearly every auto caliber but for revolvers you only have 38 and 45 (I know self defense and the judge). Anyway I haven't been by our local reloading supply store but when I do I'm definitely getting the dyes even if I can't get brass right now.

by Catoosa, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 21:12 (3540 days ago) @ StoneWolf

Have you been by Reloader's Bench in Mt. Juliet? I'll check there and at David's place in Lebanon.

Reloaders Bench is one place he hasn't checked

by stonewalrus, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 22:19 (3540 days ago) @ Catoosa

Nm

I thought maybe it was a low production item

by bj @, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 20:12 (3540 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Maybe there is a lot more demand for 9mm so they don't produce much in the .44mag size. I've noticed that it is difficult to find heavy .45Colt projectiles too.

That may well be it - concentrating on high sales calibers

by stonewalrus, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 22:23 (3540 days ago) @ bj

Nm

by Mark, Friday, January 16, 2015, 05:02 (3540 days ago) @ stonewalrus

Staline shows 44 mag brass will be delivered by the end of the month (at a whopping $101.00/500). I know that is not going to help today but they usually under promise delivery dates.
Mark

RSS Feed of thread