10mm VS 45acp...barnes 185 grain

by Gary G, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 19:47 (3542 days ago)

Folks thinking about a 10mm for a while...180grain bonded bullets at 1300fps available.

But I have seen lately that a few makers selling 45 Barnes X bullets at 1200FPS
for 45acp

For eastern white tails ,coyotes, and other anti social critters out to 125 yards
What is some of your field experiences.

Placement is key, The question is, can you hit the target

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 22:23 (3542 days ago) @ Gary G

with that platform and loading combination at that range?

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Placement is key, The question is, can you hit the target

by Gary G, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 00:00 (3542 days ago) @ Hobie

Guess my question should be does the 10mm have any advantage over the 45 loaded with Barnes at 1200fps?

penetration should be better....IF that is an advantage

by cable, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 10:02 (3542 days ago) @ Gary G

:-)

Good excuse to buy a new gun.

by cas, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 10:17 (3542 days ago) @ cable

That's one advantage the 10mm has.

i used that one and now have two glock 20s!

by cable, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 10:20 (3542 days ago) @ cas

:-D

i used that one and now have two glock 20s!

by uncowboy, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 12:10 (3542 days ago) @ cable

The 10MM will shoot a lot flatter at 100 yds and I have killed a dozen deer with the 10mm 180 XTP very happy with the performance , I just built my G20SF with a long bbl and comp and red dot in hopes of hunting with it somewhere. J.Michael

To digress a bit, as others have (typical topic drift)...

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 14:54 (3542 days ago) @ Gary G

The Glock doesn't do it for me. Blech! A 1911 type or revolver are the other options as I already have a Contender barrel.

Based on my experience with the Contender barrel and a friend's Delta Elite, I'm not convinced that there is sufficient increase in ooomph to justify the 10mm. I don't see the velocities others report with various handloads. I DO like the 180 gr. XTP bullet though. I like the Contender (I've added a Choate extension and use mine as a carbine now) but it is nothing more than a .38-40.

In a revolver? There's the .41 Magnum, .44 Special or Magnum, .45 Colt and so forth.

Will the bullet work if it gets to the right place? Yes. Can you get it to the right place? That's the question.

Did I mention that Glock = blech? For me it does. The pistols work and that's as excited as they make me. As long as I have other options I'll take them.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

i respect that, tho personally i hate the 1911s. never seen

by cable, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 16:32 (3541 days ago) @ Hobie

one that i liked. dont fit my hand; most do not have the reliability of a sig or HK, which are my favorites. my dislike of the 1911 really started when i was in the army, and every single one i had to use was a unmitigated POS.. i later had a couple of high end guns, and they were only little better and no where near as good as my other autos, and especially compared to the little STar PD which worked far far better than any other.

i know the 1911 is great for shooting games but i have never been involved in those. i would use a 1911 only if a sig HK glock CZ or springfield wasnt available.

and i do agree that glocks are esthetically just blechhh !

and truth really be told NO AUTO has the appeal and pointability that a fine revolver has for me !!

I don't care for Glocks either but begrudgingly...

by cas, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 17:41 (3541 days ago) @ cable

I felt it was the best option for me for a 10mm.

I love my Tanfoglio Limited and would love a long slide Hunter in 10mm, but I don't trust them or EEA.

What I really wanted was a Para long slide... but I don't trust Para and I don't think the 1911 is the best platform for the 10mm long term or with warmer loads. Plus the price.

With the Glock I was able to lie to myself about the price by buying it one piece at a time. And now that I've finally got it all together, Glock of course has introduced their own long slide. Naturally.

For what it's worth i have a Buckeye 10mm that I never use, I think I've fired 50 rounds through the 10mm cylinder. To the point when asked if I owned a 10mm I would say No because I didn't even remember the extra cylinder.

Glocks always seem to work. There are other 10mms

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 19:28 (3541 days ago) @ Hobie

as Jeff points out in his article. The problem seems to be getting one that fits my hand. The CZ guns do but I never see one.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

oh man, where to start?

by bj @, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 20:34 (3541 days ago) @ Gary G

Just random discussion based on my opinions addressing some of the comments here...

The 10mm is more versatile in its power range than .45ACP. There are lots of loads to choose from, 180 grain or less. The Barnes load- is that the only 185 grain load with that performance?

As to what performance you can actually get from 10mm, I look at Buffalo Bore's loads that are tested in actual guns and consider that to be the upper limit for performance. I don't know if I'm all that interested in 10mm although Kimber did make a very interesting target model in it sometime back. However I have been interested in .400 CorBon and you can probably just buy a conversion barrel and heavier mainspring for your favorite autoloader and do the conversion yourself. Again comparing Buffalo Bore loads the .400 CorBon has only a slight advantage over 10mm.

As for buying a new gun to use for 125 yard shots, I would buy a Redhawk, 629 DX, Contender or Freedom Arms in .44mag or higher, and put a good scope on it.

As for reliability- starting with a clean gun and good ammo, I've seen that modern autoloaders can be as reliable as a revolver, and as you shoot them and start to get them dirty, it seems that automatics will become MORE reliable than revolvers. Either one will work for a field gun, but for long range hunting I would choose even more than the 10mm. Besides a power disadvantage even with 10mm, most autoloaders have pretty crude sights for precision work. A proper 1911 can be had with adjustable sights but anything else would probably need optical sights, and if you're going to do that why not just start with a revolver.

And Glocks? There is the saying "beauty is as beauty does", and once you experience how well Glocks work you don't consider them quite as ugly anymore. Not that a good 1911 or Blackhawk wouldn't be preferable to an enthusiast, but for function the Glock is a pretty good piece of equipment.

What is wrong with Para Ordnance? Everything I've seen or read points to them being quality products, and accurate too.

GREAT DISCUSSION

by Gary G, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 21:36 (3541 days ago) @ bj

New 10mm it is...................

You should stick with a .357 mag.. A 6" M 19 is the ONLY

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 17:20 (3540 days ago) @ Gary G

way to go...Or maybe a .450 Rowland! ;-)

BJ Pra Ord's QC has suffered since the move to the US. They are blowing them out at CDNN...that is always a harbinger of doom.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

You're wrong Rob, only a new S&W 929 is

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 17:27 (3540 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

a suitable alternative...That's the truth and it isn't even my birthday yet...

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Ya,ll are putting too much thought into this.

by Gary G, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 19:58 (3540 days ago) @ Hobie

I have 44,s,,,,,,,,,,,,But it is easier to have an auto on your side when target of opportunity presents itself in that split second a rifle is out of hand.

I've felt the same way

by bj @, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 20:10 (3540 days ago) @ Gary G

I think .45ACP would work well enough for short ranges, but to be prepared for longer range is what got me to thinking about the .400 CorBon. I hadn't thought about the .450 Roland, I'll have to look into that again. I'm doing it mostly as an academic exercise though.

Here's why the 929!

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 22:30 (3540 days ago) @ Hobie

http://youtu.be/jJ3XwizTqDw

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Too big

by Gary G, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 23:44 (3540 days ago) @ Hobie

I had to research to refresh my memory

by bj @, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 21:25 (3540 days ago) @ bj

400 CorBon isn't hotter than good 10mm, but would be easier to convert a .45ACP gun to it. But along the same line you could convert to .45Super or .460 Rowland and those are hotter. I'm not sure if the superior ballistics of .460 Rowland would hold past 100 yards considering better ballistic coefficient of 10mm.

I was just kidding...But if they only made a.41 mag 1911...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, January 15, 2015, 23:04 (3540 days ago) @ bj

That would be the one to make fun of...:-D ;-) Just to make Gunner gnash his teeth;-)

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Didn't Coonan make a few 41 mags in one of their previous in

by anachronism, Friday, January 16, 2015, 09:40 (3540 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Didn't Coonan make a few 41 mags in one of their previous incarnations?

Hey now, thats not nice.....

by Gunner @, St Louis, Friday, January 16, 2015, 21:16 (3539 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Just for that I am posting this..........

[image]

Don't need no stinking 10mm, a 230 JHP will handle anything I need handled, if it doesn't then I have this....

[image]

Gunner

--
https://www.instagram.com/41gunner/
41 Mags rule, Baers rock!

A 185 gr bullet in a 10mm is about optimal,

by anachronism, Friday, January 16, 2015, 09:50 (3540 days ago) @ Gary G

A 185 gr bullet in a 10mm is about optimal, but I feel the same weight in .45 ACP would shorten the calibers effective range a bit. I'm chomping at the bit to try my cast 230 gr LBT LFNs on deer in my 1911s. I do know that a decent 357 mag load is perfectly adequate for deer in my area, and I load copious amounts of both 357 and 45 ACP to keep me out of mischief. All in all, I have that power level pretty well covered, but will try 10mm if component availability, primarily brass, improves over current levels. But it wouldn't be in a Glock. Me and Glock don't seem to be very compatible.

RSS Feed of thread