Blackhawk Grip Frame

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Monday, January 12, 2015, 19:16 (3543 days ago)

I have never cared for the Blackhawk grip frame and always bought the Bisley version. Can any one with more experience then my self tell me if there is any deference in the way the original Ruger flat top grip frame handels recoil compared to todays Blackhawks grip frames? I know that recently Ruger has put out flat top models but I have not had the chance to try one.

Art

Less room and knuckle wrap.

by cas, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 02:23 (3543 days ago) @ Art

I'm not crazy about either of them, but to me the original XR3 (?) grip feels better to me than the latter XR3-red (?) despite shooting one since I was a kid.

357 mag flattop with the old grip was fine.

44 mag flattop with the old grip banged my knuckle and got lots less fun real quick. Enough so I sold it (on Gunbroker and some collector paid me twice what I had in it.)

I prefer the Blackhawk Grip Frame... theb old style better

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 10:59 (3543 days ago) @ Art

but both work better for me than the Bisley under magnum recoil. When I had this S&W Barrel fit to a SBH, I had Jim fit an aluminum NM BH frame to it for a more wight forward over all lighter packin pistol. [image]

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

I prefer the Blackhawk Grip Frame... theb old style better

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 19:31 (3542 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

If you remember the size of my hands from the Herret Jordan grips, that could be my problem with the standard Blackhawk grip. However, I am hoping that we see a stainless Flat Top this year in 357 as the rumor might suggest. Do not think that level of recoil would bother me with that grip frame.

Thanks

Art

You might look for a 1860 Army grip frame...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, January 13, 2015, 20:37 (3542 days ago) @ Art

I had kindling for a small fire with all the wood I had to remove to get those to me:-)

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

What a good looking gun!

by BC, LA, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 01:31 (3542 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

xms

Others addressed recoil well...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 10:37 (3542 days ago) @ Art

but I will say that I haven't had much of an issue with the XR3-RED and some pretty serious stuff in a .45 Colt. Not sure I'd say the same with the XR3, either new or old.

Another aspect is 'pointability'. The differing shapes of the back strap will change where the barrel is instinctively pointed, much like the straight and arched mainspring housing on a 1911.

Others addressed recoil well...

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 16:00 (3541 days ago) @ Hoot

I have a 5.5 inch Ruger Bisley in 45 Colt. With a 250Gr. hard cast over 9 Grains of Unique is a pleasure to shoot. Have some loads that are a 300 Gr. hard cast over 20+ grains of 296 that are a hand full but are not bad. However, I have had a 44 Mag. with the standard Blackhawk grip frame and with a 240 Gr. hard cast over 10 Grains of Unique would bang the heck out of my middle finger. Not fun for me. I think the 357 would not be a problem for me. Hope we get a stainless flat top in that caliber this year.

Regards

Art

I'm with you Art.....

by Bud, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 17:49 (3541 days ago) @ Art

The Bisley is my go to gun for heavy loads...and the Freedom Arms model 93 too. I love the Blackhawks but do not load very hot loads for them....especially in the various 41Mag (OM and NM Rugers.

RSS Feed of thread