Lust in my heart....

by John Meeker @, United States, Wednesday, January 07, 2015, 07:11 (3549 days ago)

Lust in my heart....

by uncowboy, Wednesday, January 07, 2015, 08:33 (3549 days ago) @ John Meeker

Very Cool.

That's neat! I've been riding my Raleigh again,

by brionic @, Wednesday, January 07, 2015, 08:58 (3549 days ago) @ John Meeker

without Enfield or Enfield mount, as a means of local, healthy, free transportation while visiting the city.

Great bikes, and the quintessence of British industry. Raleigh manufactured EVERY part for their bicycles... every nut, bolt, "tyre", reflector, steel tube, all the paint, the leather seats... and, I assume, the rifle mounts pictured here.

Can't speak to the asking price, but such a rig would be fun, in addition to historically interesting.

Interesting way to carry a rifle on a bike.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Wednesday, January 07, 2015, 09:57 (3549 days ago) @ John Meeker

Amazed fleabay hasn't censored him yet.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by John Meeker @, United States, Wednesday, January 07, 2015, 10:40 (3549 days ago) @ brionic

Vintage Raleigh bikes actually are pretty neat numbers. Not so 25.00 at garage sales anymore, wither.

by Drago, Wednesday, January 07, 2015, 14:25 (3549 days ago) @ brionic

I have a '76 Raleigh in the restoration process. Raleigh owned most of the bicycle brands of the 50's ad 60's and built bicycles for American companies too. Dunelt, Hercules, Rudge, Phillips, some AMF and Huffys were English built products.
This is an interesting video from the post war period:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FaxRQh03BOw

That one's great. I enjoy the style of it

by brionic @, Wednesday, January 07, 2015, 18:08 (3548 days ago) @ Drago

not to mention the information.

Not only did Raleigh own multiple brands, they also controlled the manufacture of almost all their parts, including the terrific Sturmey Archer hubs, the Brooks saddle company, and on and on.

Consider that these weren't sporting bikes for the Brits; they were daily transport to and from the train station, and before that, from farm to town or town to town, predating the automobile. The first modern paved roads were arranged for cyclists, who tired of riding through horse manure.

"Spot on, old man!" or yup, they are transportation --

by John Meeker @, United States, Friday, January 09, 2015, 17:36 (3546 days ago) @ brionic

Still have my Brooks saddle. used for years for commuting and country rides. It was just before the height of the modern bike madness, and as the American technology escalated with racing and mountain bikes, I realized my personal ride had come to resemble the vintage Brit workhorse.. save I still had exterior gearing. Now there are 7 speed hubs, so I could quite happy there, too.

As I have watched Brit movies and TV shows, it became apparent that, as you observed. they were really transportation. I'm looking at a new frame and ride this spring, and I'm wondering if I shouldn't go with a Classic. The new styles and models and 'ol folks' bikes are just too ugly to contemplate, y'know?

Good riding, too all.

Indeed. The modern internal hubs are amazing.

by brionic @, Friday, January 09, 2015, 19:20 (3546 days ago) @ John Meeker

Check out the belt drive stuff. REALLY cool. And priced to reflect that.

I bought a "fat bike" in the autumn. SWMBO nearly decapitated me. But I escaped with my life and bits intact.

I had to remove bugs from my teeth, I was smiling so much the first month of riding it. Imagine a rigid mountain bike, with motorcycle wheels and tires. What a blast.

Indeed. ...sounds good. Haven't frequented my shop

by John Meeker @, United States, Saturday, January 10, 2015, 10:44 (3546 days ago) @ brionic

buddies in a while. Have to get up to date....infact want a kiddy carrier to put a Chessie in for a ride. Also, to take the unwary woodchuck out on the county roads. Open carry away from paranoid city folks...could you post up a link to your new machine. since guns are undoubtedly carried, it would still be a firearms post, right?

Neat John.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, January 14, 2015, 10:42 (3542 days ago) @ John Meeker

Did you manage to hang on to a No. 1 for when you get it? ;-)

RSS Feed of thread