Ruger 77/357 Those of you who have them...

by rob @, Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 15:51 (3570 days ago)

What do you think of them? Eventually, I'm gonna have to replace my Marlin .357 I shoulda never let go. Unless the new Remington Marlin quality is VASTLY improved over what it was, I'm not even interested in trying that again. The Ruger intrigues me. Not as handy as the Marlin but close. I also suspect the bolt gun locks up tighter and would give longer case life with heavier loads.

IF I COULD ONLY HAVE ONE CF RIFLE IT WOULD BE A

by SIXGUNNER, Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 18:34 (3569 days ago) @ rob

MARLIN 357. LOOK FOR A USED ONE. THE RUGER IS A GOOD RIFLE ALSO BUT NOT A LEVERGUN. I DO LIKE MINE BUT ITS NOT A LEVERGUN. EASY TO SCOPE, SHOOTS WELL BUT IT IS NOT A LEVERGUN.

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 18:47 (3569 days ago) @ rob

There is the Rossi 92, I read good reports on them if you want a LA rifle. The oe I ad wes a little picky on bullet shape but shot great.

Well, about as soon as I posted this...

by rob @, Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 19:17 (3569 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

A close friend sent me a message that he has a brand new Marlin .357 (pre-Remington) he's been holding onto because he figured I'd want it after I sold mine to Rob Leahy. Dumbest thing I ever did. That rifle was a half MOA rifle with a couple of really good loads from a good rest with a quality scope. I hear Jan claimed it. I'm glad it went to a good cause, I have repented and will never make that mistake again! I have to agree with you on the only one rifle comment too. It's efficient, economical, powerful enough for everything I hunt in Texas and easy enough to shoot any kid can shoot them.

I won't sell mine! I don't know if Marlin is shipping .357

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 21:15 (3569 days ago) @ rob

1894s again but if the .44s I've seen from the most recent production they should be just fine (aside from the cross-bolt safety) as the new ones are tight but smooth with proper fit of metal-to-metal and wood-to-metal. However, I'd look for a 1982 or earlier gun which will be without the cross-bolt safety.

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

IF I COULD ONLY HAVE ONE CF RIFLE IT WOULD BE A

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 21:16 (3569 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

In total agreement! I wanted to buy my sons a firearm of some sort when they were born. I spent a lot of time thinking of something that would be useful for a variety of purposes and something they would enjoy. I ended up getting both of them a Marlin 1894 in .357!

--
https://facebook.com/M2bKydex/

Crossbolt safety really doesn't bother me...

by rob @, Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 21:32 (3569 days ago) @ Hobie

I have had so many Marlin leverguns I've lost count. I can definitely say I have not been without one since '95. I have never heard the dreaded click...except for a Ruger Bisley firmly planted hard on a live hogs head because I let go of the hammer thinking it was fully cocked only to hear it fall and hit the frame rather than the transfer bar...but that's not a crossbar safety issue. Fortunately she thought it wiser to continue her run rather than stop and fight...THANKFULLY:) But anyhow, I just keep it off and subconsciously feel for it to be in the right place. I've thought about puting the filler plug in my Guide Gun but never have. Now the Winchester 94's with the cross bolt safeties are a whole nuther story. That crater is ugly with a capital Ug!

I am quite pleased with my Rossi 92

by stonewalrus, Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 21:38 (3569 days ago) @ Cherokee

Of course if you are interested in scoping a lever action 357 it is not a good way to go.

Funny you should mention the Marlin levergun JT.....

by Glen, Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 22:57 (3569 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

...I was just out shooting mine today. I think I may have found a new favorite bullet for that gun -- the NOE 360-180-WFN-GC -- it feeds slick as a whistle and is quite accurate to boot.

[image]

Nice!

by rob @, Wednesday, December 17, 2014, 23:15 (3569 days ago) @ Glen

Where do you go to buy an NOE mould?

I wish I was

by Bob Hatfield @, Thursday, December 18, 2014, 04:45 (3569 days ago) @ stonewalrus

I have two. A 45 Colt (no problems) and a 357 (only feeds 38 specials). I've torn it down several times, bought the video. Maybe new guts will help it feed a 357 round. Even with a standard 125 or 158 JHP of any make it looks like it is entering too steep of an angle. If I rolled another cannelure and seated deeper and worked up the load appropriately it might feed. But it would be too much trouble.

Bob

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Thursday, December 18, 2014, 05:22 (3569 days ago) @ rob

I went through that pistol-caliber carbine thing and am pretty much over it.* Of course living where the 'shot out the back door' can easily exceed 200 yards is a factor in that. I have seen what the 30-30 will do to 250 and IMO it is just enough. When my brass finally gets tired I load it with a 130 grain cast FP at about 900 fps for a great, quiet 50 yard small critter load.

* Subject to Change W/O Notice :-)

I do agree with you on the .30-30....

by rob @, Thursday, December 18, 2014, 07:48 (3569 days ago) @ Sarge

But most of the places I hunt the shots are under 160 and that's easily doable with the .357. I have a .30-06 if I need to reach out there and a Guide Gun if I need to stop a charging Texas armadillo. I thought I could live without my .357 carbine and now there just a deep hole it used to fill:)

To buy an NOE bullet mould.....

by Glen, Thursday, December 18, 2014, 08:43 (3569 days ago) @ rob

I sure understand...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Thursday, December 18, 2014, 08:47 (3569 days ago) @ rob

I have certain "can't keep house without 'em" guns myself.

Glen, which version of that mould...

by rob @, Thursday, December 18, 2014, 09:05 (3569 days ago) @ Glen

Would you recommend (mould material, number of cavities, etc.)?

Funny you should mention the Marlin levergun JT.....

by SIXGUNNER, Thursday, December 18, 2014, 09:08 (3569 days ago) @ Glen

I HAVE THAT MOLD ALSO. HAVEN'T TRIED IT IN THE LEVERGUN BUT WORKS GREAT IN A COUPLE 10" RUGER THREE-SCREWS.

I, for one think it was a bold & brilliant move! I trumped

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, December 18, 2014, 09:52 (3569 days ago) @ rob

you uin the selling .357 leverguns he shouldn't have: You will Notice Jim Taylor's Excellent Puma now resides in Texas...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Yes indeed:)

by rob @, Thursday, December 18, 2014, 10:11 (3569 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Was talking to the owner of that rifle about it this morning. Also the source of my replacement Marlin.

I bought the 5-cavity.....

by Glen, Thursday, December 18, 2014, 10:14 (3569 days ago) @ rob

....aluminum 360-180-WFN GC mould, and am very pleased with it (in fact, I'm about to go out in the garage and cast some more with it). I went with the GC version because my main use for this bullet is in my Marlin levergun and my .357 Maximum Ruger. If I was just going to shoot this bullet in .357 Magnum revolvers, I would have gone with a plain-based version.

I think I will go GC as well...

by rob @, Thursday, December 18, 2014, 10:16 (3569 days ago) @ Glen

I could go with one of the split moulds but doing both bullet styles would just complicate things. I need simple:)

I figured it would all shake out...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Thursday, December 18, 2014, 10:31 (3569 days ago) @ rob

;-)

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Crossbolt safety really doesn't bother me...

by Jared, Friday, December 19, 2014, 07:05 (3568 days ago) @ rob

I had the click on a hog before on a hog with my .45-70. When I hold the rifle in one hand that crossbolt safety is in the perfect place for my right thumb to engage it. I could take it or leave it before that. Now I take the buttstock off and tighten the setscrew on the crossbolt. It can't move and can always be re activated in a couple of minutes.

That is strange - no trouble with mine other than having to

by stonewalrus, Friday, December 19, 2014, 11:10 (3568 days ago) @ Bob Hatfield

Replace the sights. Loading gate is a little tough to feed through. How old is yours? Unfortunately I don't think Taurus/Rossi quality control is what it should be. I have a Taurus Millenium Pro I couldn't hit anything with and changed barrels (long story) - shoots great now. I discovered they did a horrible job of crowning the original barrel. Must have used a blindfolded monkey!

Same reason I've never really gotten into it

by mcassill, Saturday, December 20, 2014, 11:00 (3567 days ago) @ Sarge

Although right now the .50 Beowulf is calling my name; I think it would be a heck of a pig rifle. Then there's the thought that cast .38 loads might be the cheapest way for the boy to do rifle shooting if the prices on .22 ammo stay ridiculous. It never ends...

Same reason I've never really gotten into it

by Jared, Saturday, December 20, 2014, 12:18 (3567 days ago) @ mcassill

The Beowulf is pretty darn impressive.

I am really thinking for Jacob I am going to locate a straight grip Marlin buttstock shorten it and fit it to my TDS, and then maybe do the same for the 1894 .357. It would be plenty for deer and smaller hogs and should be easy for him to control.

I, for one think it was a bold & brilliant move! I trumped

by Scott Tschirhart @, Saturday, December 20, 2014, 17:51 (3566 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Don't worry that old Rossi is in good hands my Brother.

RSS Feed of thread