357 Maximum

by Cannon @, Saturday, December 13, 2014, 20:43 (3573 days ago)

10+ years ago, when I decided to have my 500 Long built, I did a little shooting with the base gun before sending it off, and I've wanted a 357 Max to keep as a shooter ever since.

Last month, Mom & Dad presented this to me for my birthday:

[image]

This one started life as a 10.5" gun (bull barrel with a screw-on sight). A previous owner has cut it back to 6.5" and remounted the sight. With the heavy profile, it handles like a longer-barreled gun, while being much handier. It's a full .100" fatter at the muzzle than a factory 6.5" 357 Magnum. Probably not a configuration I'd have come up with on my own, but I couldn't be happier with it.

The only fly in the ointment was the front sight. The gun shot around a foot high at 25 yards. Fortunately, there were a couple of Ruger Mark II's in the safe with screw on sights and the same barrel profile. The one from Nikki's scoped slab-side was the perfect height.

I couldn't find our set of feeler gauges, but a piece of .0035" brass shim stock is a snug fit in the b/c gap. A healthy charge of W296 will easily push a 200 gr. Cast Performance WLN to 1500 fps or more. I shot five of those at the target on the left today at 50 yards. The one low shot was all me -- I watched the front sight dip just as the trigger broke.

The target on the right is 3 rounds of the old Remington 158 JHP factory load (which run ~1535 fps out of this barrel).

[image]

The 357 Maximum is a wonderful cartridge.

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Saturday, December 13, 2014, 22:05 (3573 days ago) @ Cannon

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

357 Maximum Welln done...all of you.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, December 14, 2014, 12:50 (3573 days ago) @ Cannon

Someone else here has or had a Max slightly customized simulator to that but electro plated...

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Scott's Clements Custom...

by rob @, Sunday, December 14, 2014, 14:36 (3573 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Both very nice. A gun I've always wanted but just don't like chasing unicorns.

that is a great configuration and especially that heavy

by cable, Sunday, December 14, 2014, 15:12 (3573 days ago) @ Cannon

barrel. and what a shooter !

Very nice

by mcassill, Monday, December 15, 2014, 11:14 (3572 days ago) @ Cannon

RSS Feed of thread