The things we find at the gun shows...

by Woodswalker ⌂ @, the Great North'Wet', Thursday, December 11, 2014, 23:37 (3575 days ago)

While wandering the halls of the WAC show in Monroe briefly, I ran across an older gentleman, slightly the worse for wear, with a musty OD chest bag and a sign saying "Custom Blackhawk .30 Carbine rechambered to .310 Cougar, dies, loaded rounds and cases, $200 OBO.

Being attracted to the weird and unusual in the firearms world (as some of my friends will tell you - the Weird and Cheap!) I had to have a look. Out of the depths of a VERY dusty and musty bag he withdrew a positively scabrous looking Blackhawk...covered with dust dinosaurs and spotted with SOMETHING...sticky. And a set of Dies much the same and the ammo box with a scattered assortment of rounds. "I was cleaning out my safe and I found these in the back at the bottom....I don't shoot anymore but someone should have it who will appreciate it." I assured him that I could be such a home for it - my penchant for weird and strange poking its nose over the bat-wings and calling "watchagothere?" I happen to have a spare NM .30 carbine cylinder somewhere, I thought, should this be a pig in a poke. At the worst its a Blackhawk frame.
I was informed that I could " Pour oh, 5-6-7 grains of Unique in and put a 110 grain bullet, just like the carbine and you are good to go". "Oh and you screw the dies down TIGHT on the shell holder, grease one up and shove it in...that is all there is to it."

We sealed the deal, gave the state its due process and went on our merry ways.

Dragged it out of the show and to the truck...and curiosity took over...safety tie SNIPPED...Cylinder OUT, wipe it all down and see what I really had. Found a spare boot lace in the glove box and made a hasty bore cleaner, pulled it through the bore and chambers and wiped it down thoroughly with an oily rag kept in a zip-lock bag for JUST such purposes. A few rust spots that had been there a WHILE...but basic action was OK, the bore was clean and shiny and the chambers were as well. I oiled it up, and will reserve a good tear-down for a slow afternoon at the shop where there is a solvent tank and an ultrasonic cleaner as well.

The ammo was of random head-stamps...none of them new. Names like Super-Vel, Nivens (who?), S&W, Aguila and the rest of the usual suspects. I tore down the loaded shells...the powder was clumpy, so I WEIGHED it...and dumped it out. Weights ranged rather randomly from 4.5 to 9.2(!) grains of something that might have been Unique a LONG time ago. I poked around on Loaddata.com, my CotW and a few internet searches yielding exactly ZERO data. I looked at a few reloading manuals and loaded the remaining ones back up with 5 grains of Unique..a very mild load I think.

More load development to come.[image]
[image][image]

--
Reheating pizza – sheesh. Totally destroys the delicate flavor.

A Smith and Wesson beats 5 aces...

Woodswalker AKA AaronE

That`s a great deal!!

by Fivegunner @, LOWELL Mi., Friday, December 12, 2014, 03:47 (3575 days ago) @ Woodswalker

And a cool gun to play with. :-D

by Mark, Friday, December 12, 2014, 07:00 (3575 days ago) @ Woodswalker

i think well written story ads to the tale. Neat gun. You may want to head over to Reeder's website and ask him if he has data for that cartridge. It looks like the kind of thing about which he would know.
Mark

Andy Rowe may have data for that cartridge...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Friday, December 12, 2014, 08:53 (3575 days ago) @ Woodswalker

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Very cool.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, December 12, 2014, 10:03 (3575 days ago) @ Woodswalker

A bag of Blackhawk parts can be worth $200. I'd-a brought that home in a heartbeat.

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Friday, December 12, 2014, 10:09 (3575 days ago) @ Woodswalker

Nice find, something to play with. Years ago there was a 357 necked down to 30 called the 30 Paxton, if you could find data for that. I would think 30 carbine data would be a good reference.

Very cool!

by rob @, Friday, December 12, 2014, 10:16 (3575 days ago) @ Woodswalker

That would be fun to play with. There used to be a .17-357 that I though twould be cool in a Contender carbine. Maybe someday...

Looks like a ton of fun...

by Brian A, Saturday, December 13, 2014, 08:28 (3574 days ago) @ Woodswalker

just waiting to be had. A very cool find to be sure.

Can't blame you!

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Saturday, December 13, 2014, 19:43 (3574 days ago) @ Woodswalker

I've brought home bigger projects at worse deals! At least you got dies and some ideas on loads! Now, to make it really interesting, you need to run a .44 special reamer in there and have your self. Double bottlenecks cartridge; ought to net you a couple hundred more fps!

RSS Feed of thread