Thinning out the herd, Part III

by Scribe, Sunday, December 07, 2014, 12:30 (3580 days ago)

I took my guns down to my FFL yesterday to drop them off with him so the guns could be shipped upon receipt of funds. I was advised NOT to do it this way because of NJ law. If I sign them over and the buyer(s) backs out at the last minute, the guns are still listed as belonging to the store. To get them back, I would have to APPLY FOR PERMITS to retrieve my own guns!

I was advised to keep them until receipt of funds, then to drop them off at the FFL for legal shipment to the buyer's FFL. So that's what I am doing. I am listing the four items that seemed to generate the most comments/interest.

To recap from an earlier post, my FFL, Bob's Little Sport Shop in Glassboro, NJ, is charging $90 for the FFL fee plus shipping cost per handgun. I will add that to each gun's price:

1) Ruger .45 LC Old Model Blackhawk revolver, blue, 7 1/2 in. barrel. Unconverted. VG condition. Previous owner had first initial and last name plus 12-25-74 inscribed just below barrel address. Hard to make out, but it's there. Non-original grips (he had carved the faux ivory grips that came with the gun, so I replaced them.) Some muzzle wear and scratches on ejector rod. No box, no papers.

ASKING $800, plus $90 FFL fee/shipping

2)Ruger .45 LC/.45 ACP Old Model Blackhawk revolver, blue, 7 1/2 in. barrel. Uncoverted. Very good condition. Spare .45 ACP cylinder. .45 LC cylinder has been reblued. Hammer has been blued. Grip frame is gray because aluminum blacking was ground off, not polished. Some muzzle wear. No box, no papers.

ASKING $900, plus $90 FFL fee/shipping

3)S&W pre-27 .357 Magnum revolver. S-frame. 3 1/2 in. non-original barrel. Very good condition. Minor wear on edge of cylinder. White Out on front sight. Walnut grips. Coolest looking DA revolver ever made. No box or papers.

(The orginal 8 3/8 in. barrel is available separately but has a slim bulge about 2 inches from muzzle due to a squib load that lost its copper plating. Candidate to make a 5 in. barrel? Would run about $100, plus shipping, if desired.)

ASKING $2,000, plus $90 FFL fee/shipping

4) S&W .45 ACP 1937 Brazilan Contract Model Revolver. The 1937 marque on right hand side of frame is worn. Carries numbers (faint) on backstrap of grip 3153 that are not related to serial number. Reblued. Lanyard loop and humpback hammer. Did not have original wooden grips when purchased, so now wears Fitz StaGrip grips, plus black Tyler-T Grip instead.

ASKING $400, plus $90 FFL fee/shipping

If interested, email me at flaquito@aol.com. I have some cell phone pics; send me your cell phone number if you'd would like me to send them.

Two guys have had their hands up for these for a while, so first offers would be accepted from them, unless they pass.

Scribe

Thanks for the details, but I'll let someone else take

by cubrock, Sunday, December 07, 2014, 16:44 (3580 days ago) @ Scribe

the ones I asked about. Really need to focus on downsizing rather than adding to the pile. Best of luck.

Sorry but I'm not able to swing the pre-27

by Jeff Taylor @, Tampa FL, Monday, December 08, 2014, 05:15 (3579 days ago) @ Scribe

That's double what I was expecting, or maybe hoping, it would be.
Best of luck with the sale!

--
Colonel, USAF (Ret)
NRA Life Member

by Scribe, Monday, December 08, 2014, 19:22 (3578 days ago) @ Jeff Taylor

VG condition -- $800. Pre-'57 -- add 100%. 3.5 in. barrel or 5 in. barrel -- add 25%.

Very glad I took my FFL's advice about not signing over the guns to him prior to a definitive sale.

Scribe

by jackmoser65 @, Tuesday, December 09, 2014, 14:44 (3578 days ago) @ Scribe

Not to be argumentative but those numbers are assuming the original barrel. You don't get to add 100% for a 3.5" replacement on what was originally an 8 3/8" gun.

by Scribe, Wednesday, December 10, 2014, 13:47 (3577 days ago) @ jackmoser65

The frame is an S-frame, even if the short barrel is not original, and it is a 1953 pre-27 regardless.

But you are right -- let's not argue. You have no skin in the game.

Scribe

RSS Feed of thread