Ain't no such thing as 'the' Perfect Packing Pistol...

by Brian A, Monday, December 01, 2014, 07:13 (3586 days ago)

I really enjoy seeing everyone's idea of what their PPP is, but do not believe I will ever settle on one for me, not sure I want to. It seems there are many candidates which are just right for certain circumstances, but not one for all seasons and reasons. Do carry every day and what gets carried, or even how, depends on the agenda for the day.

For the cooler months, daily concealed carry is a 2 1/2" S&W Model 19, loaded with +P 38 Specials with either 158 gr SWC or HP, usually carried strong side, behind the hip. During hunting season, the concealed carry choice is often a 5" 629 Classic in a horizontal shoulder holster, loaded with 20 gr of 2400 under a Hornady XTP. In warmer weather, the choice is usually a stainless 2" Rossi 38 special (S&W Mod 60 clone), loaded with 5 gr of Unique pushing a 148 gr WC, carried crossdraw IWB, or in a pocket holster. For those times when a 38 just seems too light, but a full 44 seems a bit too much, a 629 Mountain Revolver gets the nod, loaded with 8.0 gr of Unique pushing a 240 gr lead SWC, carried in whatever method works with the day's activities.

It is not unusual for me to carry multiple guns and even make other choices, but nothing gets carried until I am satisfied with it's reliability, effectiveness and method of carry. All guns with adjustable sights must be capable of shooting sub-2" groups in my hands with the loads carried at 25 yards. Fixed sight guns must be capable of consistently hitting a 6" gong at the same distance, even pocket guns. None are carried until 500 rounds have been put through them and they have proved their reliability and accuracy. I practice regularly with all carry choices made and recognize not all of them are capable of rapid deployment, but sometimes other factors weigh in favor of those chosen.

What are your ideas on packing a pistol and what makes your choices 'perfect'?

A 2" scandium K frame that holds 6 rounds of 44 magnum....

by cas, Monday, December 01, 2014, 08:58 (3586 days ago) @ Brian A

With a telescoping barrel that extends to 5" when you draw it and an internal weight system that makes the gun heavier when you shoot it. :-D

by SIXGUNNER, Monday, December 01, 2014, 09:00 (3586 days ago) @ Brian A

IF YOU READ THE ORIGINAL THOUGHTS ON A PPP YOU WOULD SEE THE JOY WAS NOT IN THE FINDING BUT IN THE SEARCH!

Taffin is correct and I hope I never find the answer...

by Fowler, Monday, December 01, 2014, 09:20 (3586 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

I own and carry a few different guns, certainly environment and dress dictates options. I don't believe in open carry in normal society, it's not worth getting people twitterpated. In ranch country or in the high country I have no hesitation with it, but for a night at the theater a 442 in my pocket makes far more polite since than a N frame on my hip, and of course in ranch country the 442 wouldn't exactly answer the requirements I likely see needing a side arm for anyways.

I am going to keep searching and seeing if there is a better answer but I hope I never find the perfect answer. But lately a S&W 2 1/2" 19 has been my main carry piece stoked with full power 125gr hollowpoints, if I don't hit them I intend to set them on fire with this little flame thrower, that or my Les Baer is my 98% option...

by MR, Monday, December 01, 2014, 10:27 (3586 days ago) @ Brian A

Just for packing and exploring in the summer in central Texas, this is great. Ultra light and 5 rounds of +p 38 sp. M-337 3 inch. My wife who has had a lamenectomy and spinal fusion, can carry this without any discomfort. If all your talking pure packing for occasional and emergency use, I see no reason to tote a lot of excess weight. Myself I usually just drop my light weight XSE commander in a SR Cattleman while walking or working on the ranch. When it's time to cowboy up for pigs or what ever, that is subject to change to heavier iron.

[image]

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Monday, December 01, 2014, 10:40 (3586 days ago) @ Brian A
edited by Sarge, Monday, December 01, 2014, 13:50

Like many have said, it depends on where I'm headed for the day. Truthfully, if I need a little bitty gun then the LCP and a spare mag go in opposite pockets. If I'm headed to Indian Country, a Glock 30 and two 13 round mags accompany it.

But for all other occasions the old 4 5/8 Vaquero serves perfectly tucked in the waistband with the butt hanging over my belt, just left of the buckle, with a shirt tail or jacket hanging over it. I started carrying single actions like that 44 years ago and it is a natural state for me. These days, it rides in a modified Safariland 27 with the J-hook turned 45 degrees. Well enough in fact that I'm going to duplicate it with a purpose-built holster.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x187/SargeMO/2014-12-01114025_zps24e41afc.jpg

I think with minor mods, a Short New Vaquero in 45 Colt epitomizes the PPP.

Happy Birthday?

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, December 01, 2014, 11:44 (3586 days ago) @ Brian A

Although it sounds like a serious question. ;-)

I guess I've never put enough thought into it. What is carried boils down to what is grabbed. What is grabbed varies with the wind, phase of the moon and the age of my socks as well as a few other factors of which I am likely unaware. It might be a 1911 of several varieties or an N-frame in one of several calibers or a single action in as many calibers. I am blessed with more than enough good 'companions'.

As mentioned, situations would also dictate which gets the nod. Example: I pretty much would never wear the .480 SRH to a dinner party.

Of course, if I'd-a knowed I'd be in a fight, I'd-a brought the shotgun or a company of Marines.

No, close to a half birthday, but not an actual one...

by Brian A, Monday, December 01, 2014, 11:57 (3586 days ago) @ Hoot

Just had a wild hair that needed to express itself.

The journey is usually more important...

by Brian A, Monday, December 01, 2014, 12:02 (3586 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

Than the destination, even if we may not recognize it at the time.

by StoneWolf, Monday, December 01, 2014, 12:27 (3586 days ago) @ Brian A

Yet again a number of factors, but if I had to choose just one it would be my Glock 27. Accurate with it up to 50 yds, it has never had a malfunction and relatively easy to conceal. The runner up would be the LC9 only due to it being easier to conceal since you can slip it into a pocket and go, only fault with it I find it's a little harder to hit with.

Yep! I have found several and am only looking for one more

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, December 01, 2014, 14:38 (3586 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

...the next one!;-)

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

You need a good wippin for that.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Monday, December 01, 2014, 14:54 (3586 days ago) @ StoneWolf

;-) Read your John Taffin & you will know what us grown ups are talking about.:-D

--

SOME HAVE STRAYED SO FAR!! THE ORIGINAL IDEA

by SIXGUNNER, Monday, December 01, 2014, 15:13 (3586 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

OF A PPP WAS A SIXGUN OR SEMI-AUTO WITH A BARREL LENGTH OF 4"-5-1/2" AND IN A CHAMBERING THAT WOULD HANDLE ANYTHING THE PACKER WAS LIKELY TO ENCOUNTER. POCKET PISTOLS, 2-1/2" SIXGUNS ETC MAY BE FINE BUT THEY DO NOT FIT THE DEFINITION OF A PPP.

Results-oriented thinking...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Monday, December 01, 2014, 17:40 (3586 days ago) @ StoneWolf

I get that.

He tried to get me to trade my 4" Security Six for his 6"

by stonewalrus, Monday, December 01, 2014, 19:28 (3585 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

GP100. I still have the Security Six...

by John Meeker @, United States, Monday, December 01, 2014, 19:32 (3585 days ago) @ MR

Pret dang close to 'it', around here.....well worn 442 or 642 when more discretion is desired.

Yup, can't go wrong with a 442/642...

by matt/pa @, Monday, December 01, 2014, 19:43 (3585 days ago) @ John Meeker

I keep a few around at all times for just in case.

Matt

It depends...

by matt/pa @, Monday, December 01, 2014, 19:52 (3585 days ago) @ Brian A

on where, what, when, how bad...

My usual carry is a bobbed Colt Lightweight Commander 45 ACP that sits in a Simply Rugged IWB holster. It fits the PPP definition (bbl length/weight, etc..) but most importantly, it fits me. When I can't carry it for whatever reason (temperature/season/clothing) then I have to sacrifice and carry a 442/642.

If I'm bumming around the woods/trails/walking, etc... and I can get away with open carry, then it is usually a Colt New Frontier 45 Colt 4 3/4" bbl.

All of that being said, as has been stated, it is all about the hunt to get to perfection. I haven't achieved perfection yet, so I'm still a-huntin'!!

I just acquired a 4 5/8" Ruger OM Blackhawk, 357 mag, with a polished round butt gripframe and a #5 style front sight ramp. I installed a Belt Mountain #5 base pin, a polished ERH, and a Clements OM Super Blackhawk hammer on it. I sent the gripframe out to have a set of bone grips made for it. I also have an El Paso Saddlery Threepersons carved/lined holster for it. I'm sure going to give it a whirl as a PPP!!

Matt

by Catoosa, Monday, December 01, 2014, 20:14 (3585 days ago) @ Brian A

I may be found carrying whatever I take a notion to at any particular time, but for the last couple of years the USUAL choice has been a 1991A1 Combat Commander .45 in a self-made pancake holster, strongside. Before I got the CC, I most often carried one of three Star BM 9mms in varying states of wear from nearly mint to almost no finish left. Those are still my "grabbit" guns, kept handy if I need one to stick in my waistband as I go out the door. I like revolvers, but the BMs are the easiest-carrying, most comfortable guns I have ever found, and they work just like a 1911 so the manual of arms is the same. Wish someone would start making them again.

Of course, a 442 is close by all the time, and even a Beretta 950BS for "formal" wear.....

My poor man's mountain gun (45 Colt Astra) had a 4" barrel

by stonewalrus, Monday, December 01, 2014, 21:20 (3585 days ago) @ Catoosa

It might get the nod otherwise my Security Six. I find myself packing my Airweight 38 a lot. I think of a perfect packin pistol as a strong side OWB revolver though - Commander size auto comes a close second though.

I do enjoy wandering...

by Brian A, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 06:47 (3585 days ago) @ SIXGUNNER

and discussing the adventures. Especially when it comes to the firearms that often accompany us on those adventures. Very little is more fun to me than putting a bullet through the head of a fox squirrel, way up in a tree, with a gun most would think unsuitable for the task. Have used .177 pellets, all the way up to 44 magnums for the task, with loads of fun coming from pocket pistols, some of which have proven only slightly less reliable to hit with than a scoped Contender. Have I stretched your original concept of the PPP? Absolutely, but it has provided a whole lot of fun afield in the process. It has also helped prove that the original concept is a very sound one.

Tom he still needs a whipping, set down in the corner

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 09:20 (3585 days ago) @ stonewalrus

with so0me Taffin, Skelton and Keith... ;-)

--

I think what we have here is a failure to communicate...

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, December 02, 2014, 19:48 (3584 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

He has never really known the pleasure of strapping a handgun on his hip and going walkabout for a day. My first ppp was a Ruger Single Six - it was the only handgun I owned straight out of college. Used to love wandering National Forest in SE Missouri. To me PPP means a walkabout gun. Also a bit harder to do east of the Mississippi where there aren't as many mega tracks of land.

I do think there is a bit of a generation gap. We cut our teeth on revolvers and the newer generation has been more involved with the Tupperware guns.

I think what we have here is a failure to communicate...

by Catoosa, Wednesday, December 03, 2014, 19:46 (3583 days ago) @ stonewalrus

And to think that the young whippersnapper has a perfectly good Ruger 1911 that he could be carrying instead of that thing that would likely melt in a Texas summertime!

He has TWO 1911s and I have none

by stonewalrus, Thursday, December 04, 2014, 13:13 (3583 days ago) @ Catoosa

I do pack a Springer 45 a lot, just happens to be an XDS.

I can say with certainty...

by rob @, Thursday, December 04, 2014, 21:58 (3582 days ago) @ Catoosa

That any rumor of plastic guns melting in Texas heat is pure fiction. However, blued steal AND STAINLESS will, without question, rust from sweat in the Texas heat. Which, by the way, is exactly why I no longer carry revolvers and 1911's. I could carry a Glock every day, all summer, sweat all over it, throw it on the night stand drenched in sweat and not even think about wiping it off and it won't even get a speck of surface rust on it. But I have had every kind and finish of 1911 made and even with constant maintenance the plunger tubes and plungers get rust in them, I've had mag releases rust on both 1911's and a P226 (my favorite pistol). A Glock may not be pretty but they work and keep on working with little to no maintenance making my G19 my PPP. Unlike my nice sixguns, it goes everywhere I do, even the places I do take my nice guns. It ain't pretty but it does what I need it to do:)

RSS Feed of thread