Opinions on a 3" GP100

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Saturday, November 29, 2014, 19:11 (3587 days ago)

Not sure how much velocity loss from such a short tube, but sure looks like a handy sixgun package.

Dave

Opinions on a 3" GP100

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Saturday, November 29, 2014, 19:49 (3587 days ago) @ Dave B

I had a well-used 3" short shroud Century re-import for awhile and a few problems aside, i was a real decent sixgun. I did not own a chronograph at the time so I can't help you with actual velocities.

http://www.thesixgunjournal.net/dialing-in-a-fixed-sight-ruger-da-the-repatriated-ruger...

Opinions on a 3" GP100

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Saturday, November 29, 2014, 21:29 (3587 days ago) @ Dave B

I don't have a GP100, but I do have a stainless Speed Six with a 2 3/4 barrel. It's a dandy sixgun, and one of the last guns I'd ever part with. I typically load it with the Speer short barrel 38 spl load.

I have had

by MR, Saturday, November 29, 2014, 21:30 (3587 days ago) @ Dave B

a 3 inch M-66 ("Treasury Gun")
a 3 inch Python. Not a 2.5 inch.
and currently have a 3 and a smiggen inch SP-101.

Never chrono'ed 'em but the do hit hard and are LOUD.

Although my ears still say a 4 inch Python is the loudest of the loud.

What strikes me is that the M-66 and Python were overly bulky for normal uses where a 3 inch might be chosen over a 4 inch.

I am very fond of 3" revolvers.....

by Glen, Saturday, November 29, 2014, 23:45 (3587 days ago) @ Dave B

....and have chronographed most of them. Bottom-line -- they are generally a little bit slower than the 4" guns, but the cylinder gap is generally more important than the 1" in barrel length (i.e. I have several 3" sixguns that are faster than their 4" brethren).

Thank You Gentleman

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Sunday, November 30, 2014, 00:07 (3587 days ago) @ Glen

I appreciate the input!

Will is do anything BETTER than a 4" gun? No, not a thing &

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, November 30, 2014, 13:09 (3587 days ago) @ Dave B

the one thing it is touted for ; concealment, it is actually worse at. Get the Match Champion: it is smooth, easy to tote and really hides well. I prefer the balance and handling of the MC: it is more akin to a Security Six or my L frame Mountain Gun than a factory GP100. The 4" barrel, as I have stated many times, helps press the gun into your side and carry more comfortably.
The only thing about those short barrels guns is the look sorta neat.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

Down the road

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Sunday, November 30, 2014, 13:22 (3587 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I would like to add another, either a 4" or a 6", could not find a National Match, and the one's I looked at online, were well out of my price range. This one will likely ride in a backpack pocket or a simple belt holster.

Dave

I'd look at a 4" K in 357 form a trail gun

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, November 30, 2014, 14:53 (3587 days ago) @ Dave B

I like the short lug GPs as well..

--

I'd rather have a 4" blue, short shroud GP100...

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Sunday, November 30, 2014, 14:14 (3587 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

with fixed sights than either of them; but I am sorta twisted like that.

I'm with you...almost...

by rob @, Sunday, November 30, 2014, 15:05 (3587 days ago) @ Sarge

I like the blue guns as well and a blue, traditional style short shroud would be really nice, but I much prefer click adjustable sights on a gun like that.

I bend them to my will ;)

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Sunday, November 30, 2014, 17:35 (3586 days ago) @ rob

Manner & file on them too, if necessary :-)

I've been known to take a file to the...

by rob @, Sunday, November 30, 2014, 20:53 (3586 days ago) @ Sarge

rear sight notch one way or the other, turned barrels and or bend the sights. I don't mind them too much depending on the gun. I can't stand them on those bright polished Vaqueros though. And I'm not a fan of the way the sights mount on Vaqueros...I needed to tweek one ever so slightly on a Montado and it popped right of in the vice...not even close to rugged! At least the pinned sight on a 3" GP100 isn't gonna pop off:)

Will is do anything BETTER than a 4" gun? No, not a thing &

by SKgrips, Thursday, December 04, 2014, 21:26 (3582 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

I have the Match Champion, its fantastic!

Opinions on a 3" GP100

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Sunday, November 30, 2014, 13:19 (3587 days ago) @ Dave B

[image]

15% off, I couldn't walk away.

I bet you can't wear it out:)

by rob @, Sunday, November 30, 2014, 15:15 (3587 days ago) @ Dave B

I have a 4" but I put a set of the compact wood insert style grips (the ones that used to come standard on those 3" guns) on mine. It's easy to fully conceal and carry comfortably inside the waistband. They fit my hand just fine and I have big hands. I think they would look more balanced on the short barrel gun if the short barrel/long grips thing bothers you like it does me.

You'll just have to make do...

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Sunday, November 30, 2014, 16:55 (3586 days ago) @ Dave B

;-)

--

First trip out

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Sunday, November 30, 2014, 17:25 (3586 days ago) @ Rob Leahy

Shot it at 25, at 15, and at 60 yards, three different bullets, 6 different loads (didn't realize I had so much 357 Mag ammo stashed away). Shot from a Bog Pod, at 25 yards it was impacting 2 1/2" to the right, shot it offhand, shot in the black except for one shot that I pulled (trigger has a little creep). Shot 5 for 5 in an 8" square at 60 yards shooting offhand. For the record, I never shoot this good with my larger caliber guns offhand, I don't think I practice enough. It seems to like the 358 156 just a little better than the Miha 359 640 bullet, but either one will be dandy for dispatching jackrabbits. At 25 yards, between all of the different bullet/powder/primer differences, the point of impact shifted about 6-7", this is one gun I am hoping to find just a couple of loads it really likes and stick with them, I will say it seems to like the heat, did much better with the true Magnum loads. New grips will be a necessity.

Dave

First trip out

by Jared, Sunday, November 30, 2014, 22:40 (3586 days ago) @ Dave B

Glad it shoots for you. I like the original GP100 grips or the GP100 compact grips. They fit my hands well and handle recoil for me much better than the hogues. That is a really nice package.

RSS Feed of thread