Moose Repelant

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Thursday, November 27, 2014, 20:36 (3589 days ago)

Have a friend who is an Orthopedic Surgeon. Not a gun guy. He has a place up in South Park in the Colorado Mountains. This place latley is crawling with moose. A women has been stomped by one. He spends time up there with his grand children and has asked me what kind of handgun should he carry to protect them. I do not believe that he will spend the time to become proficient with a fire arm. I am thinking that the best for him would be a bear spray that he could carry on his belt. However, I have never read or heard if this would be effective aganist a moose.

Would bear spray work on a moose?

If he really wants to get involved with firearms I have voluntered to help him with the purchase and use but I do not think he has thought this through and his only exposure to firearms is the movies. I think if he started and found out about the recoil from a heavy revolver and the practice involved would be too much.

Thamks

Art

Moose Repellant

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Thursday, November 27, 2014, 20:42 (3589 days ago) @ Art

I think you're probably right. I find that there are a lot of inexperienced people who attach capabilities to firearms that don't exist. There's no way around it but to bluntly tell him to save his money and use so-and-so alternative. Of course, watching for moose and avoiding them is not to be expected of children anymore...

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

870 with a sling

by MR, Friday, November 28, 2014, 12:27 (3589 days ago) @ Art

Yeah, I know he said handgun. But considering his skill level and lack of experience...

If he insists, then an 870 with a pistol grip.

Tell him the shock of the recoil of a large handgun will be hard on the dexterity of his hands and elbow in the long run. I'm glad my orothopedic surgeon goes to the theater for relaxation instead of shooting 500 S&W's.

Non-shooter supposistions, ..... BEEG pitfall..

by John Meeker @, United States, Saturday, November 29, 2014, 18:42 (3587 days ago) @ MR

Actually one of the hardest parts of providing practical info, and attempts at training. I am not a 'moose man', so can't comment of the reality of repelling half-tom palmate-shoveled critters. Should someone without ANY gun knowledge ask me about 'self-defense "I wanna get a gun", I attempt to guide then to the biggest baddest 'spray' available, for the short term. For a longer-term goal I refer them to trainers who will teach them about employing the appropriate means and equipment and TRAINING. As much as most of us, i have dispensed detailed and inclusive advice to 'late bloomers'. At this point. I prefer that they pay for the info, have value invested in the training, and are a bit more likely to heed the lessons. Call me an old grumpy guy and i will agree: advice giving and even basic training/tactics has sunk home with a few folks. But...I'm tired of trying to totally re-educate some adult -- who has finally realized that "no one' is going to 'be there' when they most need protection -- unless they are willing to put at least time into as learning to drive and getting a license. Car keys without training are a talisman at best, and can have much worse outcomes when used ignorantly.

RSS Feed of thread