Thinking of thinning the herd

by Scribe, Monday, November 17, 2014, 07:44 (3600 days ago)

Probably sure that I will be divesting myself shortly of the following:

Three-screw OM Ruger .45 Colts (one of them a convertible), both 7 1/2 in. barrels and both shooters, not safe queens

Three-screw .357 OM, 4 5/8 in. barrel, in great shape; may have shot it a couple of times

Pre-Model 27, technically an S-frame (circa 1953), 3 1/2 in. barrel, "FBI Model"; in very good shape

Model 15, 4 in. barrel, plus S&W holster; in very good shape

Brazilian contract .45 ACP, a beater, the "medallion" is in poor shape, definietly a shooter with historically incorrect wooden grips; also have Pachmayrs on it.

Still have to work out the details with a local FFL in Glassboro,prices, fees, etc.

Not desperate to get rid of them. Just got to the point where Iask myself, do I really need that many handguns? I am primarily a SASS shooter and just got rid of three .45 Vaqueros in a trade for a 2nd Generation Buntline. Plus a .45 ACP Springfield XMD. Just thinning the herd. The New Frontier .45s and Peacemaker .38s are safe at this point.

Scribe

by cubrock, Monday, November 17, 2014, 08:46 (3600 days ago) @ Scribe

What would you want for the .45 Convertible OM and the Pre-27?

I've been doing major herd thinning for over a year. Getting rid of all the things I never use and/or have no sentimental value. I was amazed at how many things I have in the safe that I forgot I had until I started digging.

by Scribe, Monday, November 17, 2014, 10:30 (3600 days ago) @ cubrock

At this point, I really don't know. I have to talk with my FFL and see how much he wants per transaction -- FFL fee? Percentage of the deal? That will help me decide upon a cost. Will also have to check out the reference books on this subject and see what the current prices are on these guns. Don't want to undersell them or charge too much. (Although it has always seemed to me that whatever I have is worthless and whatever I want costs the very earth I stand on.)

So at this point, that is my best answer. It took me weeks to decided to get rid of them by posting here. I had considered selling them to my FFL, but he's really not interested in revolvers. He sells a lot of semi-autos, new and secondhand.

Two guns I will not part with are my daughter's first handgun (Ruger .22) and my Dad's gift, an 8 3/8 in. barrel K-14.

by Warhawk, Hot Springs, Arkansas, Tuesday, November 18, 2014, 09:00 (3599 days ago) @ Scribe

I am interested in the OM 357

FYI, my local FFL does $20 incoming transfers and charges $25 to ship a handgun, transfer included. Might give you an idea of where to start.

by Scribe, Tuesday, November 18, 2014, 10:04 (3599 days ago) @ Warhawk

Thanks for the input. It does vary from FFL to FFL and this one has been good to me in the past.

Still have to get an idea of how much to charge per gun. Off to B&N to research the latest gun value publications.

Scribe

Holy Grail gun!

by Jeff Taylor @, Tampa FL, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 04:37 (3598 days ago) @ Scribe

That 3 1/2 inch per-27 is my holy grail gun. I"ll be interested to see what you want for it, and if Cubrock wants it since he spoke first.

--
Colonel, USAF (Ret)
NRA Life Member

Holy Grail gun!

by Scribe, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 08:17 (3598 days ago) @ Jeff Taylor

Hope to be posting info about the guns soon: price, etc.

Can't post pix, but can send them to phone numbers and email addys.

Scribe

Holy Grail gun!

by Jeff Taylor @, Tampa FL, Wednesday, November 19, 2014, 19:07 (3597 days ago) @ Scribe

When you make some decisions drop me a note and photos to colwjtaylor AT yahoo Dot com.
I respect that Cubrock expressed interest first so it's his first option.
Jeff

--
Colonel, USAF (Ret)
NRA Life Member

RSS Feed of thread