OT: I was notified yesterday that my position was redundant

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Tuesday, November 04, 2014, 06:59 (3613 days ago)

and that I "had the opportunity to redeploy" to another position within the corporation but that my current division was not hiring. I have no interest in relocating (not now, at least) so it looks like my career at Cummins has run its' course.

Don't feel too sorry just yet. I have been looking for a reason to part ways for three or more years now. The only reason I am sad at all is because I didn't really want it to end like this. I was thinking more like "gold watch, cake and coffee, shake a lot of hands and off to my golden years".

There is a severance package which is generous and it will give me some time to consider where I want to go next. Maybe I'll learn to bend leather and move to Arizona! ;-)

Will be praying for you, Hoot

by cubrock, Tuesday, November 04, 2014, 07:55 (3613 days ago) @ Hoot

My dad took early retirement from his company under similar circumstances (in the same business as Cummins) and later said it was the best move he ever made. Father God is faithful and will lead you where you need to be.

by John Meeker @, United States, Tuesday, November 04, 2014, 08:15 (3613 days ago) @ Hoot

...more Corporate HR/bean counter stupidity... Seems that corps never quite are willing to act on the premise that Good People make the company...NOT mere 'qualified bodies' sutiable for coast cutting, lower salaries, while expecting more/better performance.

wishing you the best...someone will get a Helluva na asset when they pick you up.

Move to AZ: Fantastic! Please do.

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, November 04, 2014, 08:39 (3613 days ago) @ Hoot

Nice year around weather hear in Yavapai county. Good conservative folks and Prescott is a nice sized town.

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

All the best...

by Brian A, Tuesday, November 04, 2014, 09:00 (3613 days ago) @ Hoot

With whatever you decide to do. Maybe that PW will get some attention? May God guide your steps and your next chapter be a very happy one.

You need to get a job with Beretta at the new plant here in

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, November 04, 2014, 11:18 (3613 days ago) @ Hoot

Tennessee!

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Tuesday, November 04, 2014, 11:29 (3613 days ago) @ Hoot

Been there, done that, God worked it out great. Trust in Him

These things are hard to swallow, but...

by Charles, Tuesday, November 04, 2014, 11:51 (3613 days ago) @ Hoot

a year or two down the road and it will hardly be a blip on your radar screen and most likely will prove to be a blessing in disguise.

Best of luck on your way forward.

by Mark, Tuesday, November 04, 2014, 12:05 (3613 days ago) @ Hoot

Best of luck to you. Finding a new job isn't easy but can be rewarding.

Had that happen to me about 20 years ago......

by Harry O-1, Tuesday, November 04, 2014, 12:11 (3613 days ago) @ Hoot

It is not easy, but I am better off for going elsewhere. It will probably be the same for you. The only way you can lose is if you give up. I don't expect that from anyone on this board.

by Jared, Tuesday, November 04, 2014, 12:53 (3613 days ago) @ Hoot

I am sure it will all work out. Best of luck on whatever you decide to do.

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Tuesday, November 04, 2014, 16:13 (3613 days ago) @ Hoot

Sorry to hear this Hoot.

Goes without saying: YOUR HIRED!

by Rob Leahy ⌂ @, Prescott, Arizona, Tuesday, November 04, 2014, 16:50 (3613 days ago) @ Hoot

When can you start?:-)

--
Of the Troops & For the Troops

by Murphy @, Tuesday, November 04, 2014, 18:44 (3613 days ago) @ Hoot

Truly sorry to hear of your circumstances Hoot. I'll be keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

Murphy

Been there many moons ago. I'll see that you get into

by stonewalrus, Tuesday, November 04, 2014, 19:05 (3613 days ago) @ Hoot

Munchkin's prayers. Once you are in them you never get off.

May the force be with you.

[image]

What? You've never seen Garth Vader before?

by mcassill, Tuesday, November 04, 2014, 19:14 (3613 days ago) @ Hoot

I am so sorry to hear this, my friend.

by Art @, Littleton, Colorado, Tuesday, November 04, 2014, 19:38 (3613 days ago) @ Hoot

Happened to me and it turned out with a better job and much higher pay. In our prayers.

Art

I know it will work out for you.

by Hobie ⌂ @, Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Tuesday, November 04, 2014, 22:22 (3613 days ago) @ Hoot

--
Sincerely,

Hobie

Dang, Hoot!

by Slow Hand ⌂ @, Indiana, Wednesday, November 05, 2014, 01:14 (3612 days ago) @ Hoot

Man, what a kick in the teeth! I know you'll come out for the best in this but it's still a real pain you have to deal with it. Glad to hear you are in a position to take some time and find a good spot to go.

Best of luck!

Thank you all so much for your kind words and prayers.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Wednesday, November 05, 2014, 06:53 (3612 days ago) @ Hoot

I didn't mean to state it like it was necessarily a bad thing. In truth, I have been quite unhappy for several years now but just too stubborn to quit. When I heard there was going to be a "reduction in workforce", I just about sent a note to my boss to volunteer. They just beat me to the punch.

Melodie and I are really in a good place financially. We are very nearly debt free, our house is paid off and we carry no credit card debt at all. There is adequate money set aside for retirement in a few years. We have health insurance through her school so it's not at all a dire situation.

The biggest impact will be on the gun buying front where that activity will be sharply curtailed, but then, I already have enough guns, bullets, powder, primers to last a couple of decades.

So, this is more an answer to my prayers than anything else. I will try and keep my eyes and ears open to see where God wants me next.

I promised Melodie our marriage wouldn't be dull! ;-)

by Catoosa, Wednesday, November 05, 2014, 09:56 (3612 days ago) @ Hoot

Hoot, I admire your positive outlook on this situation AND your foresight in keeping things set up to weather such an occurrence. As you and several others have said, God often camouflages great opportunities as misfortune. Stay strong and focused, and forge ahead.

And as my buddy Stonewalrus mentioned, we have several new manufacturing industries here in middle Tennessee which are NOT having "reductions in force". Y'all come on down!

Nah, he wouldn't like it here...

by pokynojoe, Wednesday, November 05, 2014, 11:07 (3612 days ago) @ Catoosa

No Twins Dogs, nor pastys. No snow machines.

Joe, I can see how my dogs might be mistaken as twins but...

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Thursday, November 06, 2014, 05:56 (3611 days ago) @ pokynojoe

I hadn't thought you'd seen them. As for the snow machines, they are classed in my head in the same place as jet skis, both of which are "necessary" in the same way a fish needs a bicycle. As for pastys, I quite going into joints boasting of nekkid women many years ago.

Well, all I can say is, you ain't no native Minnesotan...

by pokynojoe, Thursday, November 06, 2014, 09:07 (3611 days ago) @ Hoot

No self-respecting "Finlander" would live in a place without those three things.

NO SNOW MACHINE!!! That's akin to sacrilege. I couldn't imagine my time in the UP without one.

My wife...sure

My dog...maybe

My snow machine...NEVER!

(Good luck buddy, sounds like you already have landed on your feet. If you can't find anything to do up there, I've got "connections" in the liquor trade here.)

Born and raised here, just contrary.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Friday, November 07, 2014, 05:47 (3610 days ago) @ pokynojoe

Thanks Joe! You're always good for a smile.

by Jared, Wednesday, November 05, 2014, 21:40 (3612 days ago) @ Hoot

I know exactly what you mean. Ever since my company declared bankruptcy 3 years ago working conditions keep getting worse and worse. Kathryn and I are back and forth on what I should do and when. It is no fun to hate going in to work every day. Sometimes it is nice having the decision made for you. I keep hoping something like that will happen here but to many people are quitting for them to need to let anyone go.

Life is more than a job....been there and had that happen .

by Gila Jorge, Friday, November 07, 2014, 07:16 (3610 days ago) @ Hoot

to me in 1984...but found other opportunities and withoug all the stress which was killing me....recall the doctor telling me that I had to change jobs or would NOT have a future....well God intervened where I was too hard headed...so can empathize with you Hoot....Blessings to ya'll and may God richly bless you...GW

You are a good man Hoot. Things will work out for you.

by TomC, High Ridge Missouri, Wednesday, November 05, 2014, 09:11 (3612 days ago) @ Hoot

/.

RSS Feed of thread