Weak Hand Shooting

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Sunday, October 19, 2014, 21:24 (3629 days ago)

Weak Hand Shooting 10-19-14

Since I have been dragged kicking and screaming into the netherworld of wrong-handedness, you get tortured along with me. Today's effort involved 5-6 rounds from the LCP .380 and 5 rounds from Glock 30 .45 Auto at 7 to 25 yards. The LCP got fed an assortment of leftover FMJ and the Glock was fed Perfecta 230 FMJ. All shooting done left hand only; same B27 used throughout. Development of target:

7 Yards, PDQ
[image]

15 Yards, 6-8 seconds

[image]

25 Yards, 10-12 seconds

[image]

Head, 25 Yards, five deliberate shots
[image]

Take-away:

1. I don't shoot as well left handed but I can probably save my bacon with it.
2. It ain't 'autopilot' yet so if I'm gonna need to shoot, I better start sooner now.
3. I need more practice at this.

Weak Hand Shooting

by Miles ⌂, CIVITATES AMERICAE, Monday, October 20, 2014, 00:26 (3629 days ago) @ Sarge

Spend 1/4 to 1/3 of your time on weak hand shooting, including positions as well as just on a still target. Part of that time should be one hand shooting as well.

and

Determine what it takes to draw with your weak hand from your strong side.

Weak Hand Shooting

by Paul ⌂, Monday, October 20, 2014, 07:35 (3628 days ago) @ Sarge

When the Jeep tried to kill me years ago, I was left in severe pain while my passenger hoofed it out to get help. Sitting there nursing my right wrist, contemplating whether I'd ever get use of it back, having chugged the last of the children's diclofenaco, the thought came to mind, "Can I shoot with my left hand?" Concentrating on shooting out the window of the Jeep from a braced position helped to get my mind off the pain a little bit. Over the years I put some time into here and there but with a bad left retina my skills suffer tremendously at over arm's length. Once we get a new range I'll have to give 'er another try - it's been a while.

Found myself similarly disposed.

by Hoot @, Diversityville, Liberal-sota, Monday, October 20, 2014, 08:18 (3628 days ago) @ Sarge

Found out that an old dog CAN learn new tricks!

Oh yes, the comment re: practice? The strong hand needs it as well. :-|

Weak Hand Shooting

by Sarge ⌂ @, Central Misery, Monday, October 20, 2014, 09:58 (3628 days ago) @ Sarge

One hand is all I got at the moment Miles, so that one will get a workout for at least the next few weeks.

I think to optimize my practice & burn in basics, I'm going to concentrate on slow fire (AKA drills) at 25 yards, with some LH yank & blast from 5 yards and closer. There will be plenty of dry-practice too, until the sights fall under my eye as soon as I extend the gun.

This is important for me because my left hand has its own problems related to a long ago disagreement with an Old Hickory, that severed the extensor tendons of the thumb and next three fingers. It also did some nerve damage to my left index and 'bad' finger. But it is strong and usable and I'm especially thankful for that now.

Weak Hand Shooting

by Cherokee @, Medina, Ohio, Monday, October 20, 2014, 10:57 (3628 days ago) @ Sarge

You did beter than I can with the left hand. I do practice with it some but not as much as I should...

RSS Feed of thread