Buffalo Bore +P+ 44

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Sunday, October 19, 2014, 12:05 (3629 days ago)

So, I was doing some surfing last night, and got to reading a bunch of 44 Magnum articles, from Glen's overweight, to some interesting hunting tales. Well one article mentioned the Buffalo Bore +P+ 340gr 44 Magnum rounds, so I cruised on in to BB's website, and got to looking at the details for these rounds, oh my! So I started wondering, are these +P+ loads nothing more than loading the 44 Magnum to it's original 1956 loads? They tell me my modern load data is adjusted because the measuring equipment is much better, not because of the Lawyers, and I have no reason to doubt them. So after reading that these loads are safe in my Super Blackhawk, I got to wondering about my own loads, knowing that I have pushed the envelope in my younger days, right now I am working up an accurate, elk capable at 60-75 yards load for my SBH and the Lee 305 gr bullet, kind of wish I had a mold for a 320, but I don't and I know these bullets will penetrate a good 36+ inches in wet newsprint. I have a 454 Casull, and the 340gr 44 Magnum BB +P+ load is right in the 454 threshold for velocities. I'm certain that Tim has done all of the pressure testing to CYA, so it makes me wonder, why can't there be a disclaimer for 44 Magnum load data as there is for the 45 Colt, a "safe in these, and ONLY these firearms" disclaimer? Just ruminating on a cool, cloudy, windy day waiting for the casting pot to liquify some silver metal.

Dave

Buffalo Bore +P+ 44

by bmize, Sunday, October 19, 2014, 19:44 (3629 days ago) @ Dave B

At one time Tim posted here regurlarly and would freely give info regarding his powders where he could. I would imagine if you email him he would help you out if he can.

Wouldn't hurt to try anyway

Oh No

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Sunday, October 19, 2014, 19:51 (3629 days ago) @ bmize

I am trying to be a hnadgun hunter, but I don't think these hands will handle that kind of abuse! I have emailed Tim in the past, but this time I think I'll let sleeping dogs lie. I was just wondering out loud (sort of) if maybe he was bringing the 44 Magnum back to it's roots in terms of pressures.

Oh No

by Fowler, Sunday, October 19, 2014, 22:26 (3629 days ago) @ Dave B

I think Randy Garrett was the first to loads these super heavies commercially for the 44 mag. Heck he built a fine ammo company loading for only the 44 mag and 45/70 and was taken over a couple years ago by Ashley Emerson after Randy's health took a turn for the worse.

Anyways I have talked at length with Ashley and he has stated that they don't wear in a gun any more than heavy 240gr ammo does, perhaps even less. Ashley and I have discussed that a 150 deer or pig doesn't need a maxed out 320gr load but Ashley is quick to point out that you never know when a 350 pound hog may pop up and they are a different beast all together. A cow elk at 50 yards is a different beast than a mature bull at 80 yards.

If you can handle the heavy loads there is little down side as I see it. I know my hands don't care for them and I shoot moderate loads better so I am going to stick with what I shoot well.

The plan is

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Sunday, October 19, 2014, 23:44 (3629 days ago) @ Fowler

To use my FA 454 with a 325 gr WFNGC over a middle of the road charge of H110, if I can get it to shoot how it needs to at 60 to 75 yards.

Buffalo Bore +P+ 44

by Mark, Monday, October 20, 2014, 05:55 (3628 days ago) @ bmize

I remember when Tim used to post here. He had much to add to our discussions. I asked about getting 1500 fps with a 300 grain lead bullet out of a 44 mag chambered Redhawk. He pointed out that the OAL was important (a benefit of using the Redhawk) and that it was safe in the Redhawk using H110. Yes, that sure is on the heels of the 454. I tried those loads and accuarcy was plenty good. Somewhere I have the data. There was no need for me to continue with those loads because 250 grains out of a 44 with take anything I will hunt here in the Northeast but it sure was fun to learn about the potential of the 44 mag.
Mark

Redhawk loads

by bj @, Monday, October 20, 2014, 22:10 (3628 days ago) @ Mark

I remember reading about someone, maybe Garrett, that made a .44mag load that would only work in the Redhawk due to its increased OAL.

does BB not include instructions?

by bj @, Sunday, October 19, 2014, 23:31 (3629 days ago) @ Dave B

I've read on their website where they provide limitations on some loads.

I would not say that BB is trying to bring a given cartridge up to its original levels, but BB certainly is interested in performance and gaining the performance that the cartridge has to offer, and testing them in a variety of firearm models.

If I was going after elk I think I would be looking for a .454 minimum.

They do

by Dave B @, Alamogordo New Mexico, Sunday, October 19, 2014, 23:40 (3629 days ago) @ bj

I am planning on using my FA 454. I have a cow tag, figure the 454 with a 325 will go end to end should the need arise.

RSS Feed of thread